Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Negative" support

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
xxx is sh1thole I wanna go home. hate hate HATE that. Its a free country so do so.

But what really and a I mean REALLY gets me is that utterly stupid Propper and Stephens song about NEVER giving the ball away. Utterly tedious rubbish.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
But what really and a I mean REALLY gets me is that utterly stupid Propper and Stephens song about NEVER giving the ball away. Utterly tedious rubbish.
That will always remind me of West Ham away as it is where I first heard it. Even though I spent all night thinking it was Stephens Bob the Builder who plays with Davy Propper. The ridiculousness of "never gives the ball away" is no different to "By far the greatest team, the world has ever seen."

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I would much rather sing pro Albion songs than try to taunt the opposing fans.

Singing ‘your support is ****ing shit’ to the quiet Saints fans early on in the game only served to liven them up a fair bit, creating a better atmosphere for their support. Do we really want to be their cheerleaders?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you want negativity, open the Locadia thread. I’m sure it’s excellent for the young mans confidence

Guy Butters, Ashley Barnes, Glenn Murray in his early days, Solly March, Bong it’s the NSC way.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This has long been a bit of annoyance to me.

Yes, I get most/all fans do it, and there's certainly a time and a place for taking the piss out of opposition players, fans and managers, but I'd much rather we collectively engaged in pro-Albion songs and support than some of the others that get trotted out.

Last night we had just hauled ourselves level when, deep in added time, Southampton had a free-kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. The response of some of the Albion crowd was to break into "2-0 and you ****ed it up". Brilliant. Fortunately Many Ryan pulled off what looked to be a fine save and we survived.

Other classics from last night:

"The South Coast is ours, the South Coast is ours..." - is it? Is it really? What does that actually mean, particularly given we were losing at the time?

"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home? Also: save that for the likes of Burnley where you may have a point.

"There's no one there, there's no one there..." - OK, there were some empty seats but it was Southampton v Brighton on a Monday night live on Sky. For much of that first half I was envious of the stay aways.

Is ti just me? Am I a grumpy old man?

Another who agrees with you, not grumpy happy we got a point and it made the trip back worthwhile. The songs you mentioned are not good and we should just sing about our team & players. leave "There's no one there, there's no one there' to when it actually happens e.g. WHU away last year. Same with the 'sh*thole one' as it could apply to parts of B&H and surrounds. just stick to 'GOSBTS' or 'Albion' or ' Sussex boys'. Should have had more of the Bissouma song to cheer things up.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree with the OP. Put me in the grumpy old man club, hate those tedious sh*thole chants and the even more woeful "we pay your benefits" when we play anyone north of Watford. No problem with genuine witty banter and P*l*c* chants, but we have a pleasingly large repertoire of supportive chants to inspire our team, let's stick to those.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
xxx is sh1thole I wanna go home. hate hate HATE that. Its a free country so do so.

.......and totally inappropriate after these two raised the level of giving the ball away last night to art form proportions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ridiculous chant AT THAT TIME. Fine at other times, and perfect from the safety of after the final whistle. Imagine their joy if they'd scored that free kick after we'd taunted them.

How is the South Coast anywhere near 'ours'? Saints have been ahead of us for some years, and surely AFCPlucky will have some claim on that currently? Silly chant.

Southampton is a long long way from being a shithole. It's like we're scrabbling round for something to rile them - throwing all possible insults. Silly.

Another chant that serves no real purpose.

You are not grumpy. And you are a relatively young man.

I lived in Southampton for a while. It was rubbish compared to Brighton, with a complete concrete jungle of a centre (thanks to the Luftwaffe), bar tiny remnants of an ancient wall and lacking the buzz of many regional cities.

I quite like that chant.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This has long been a bit of annoyance to me.

Yes, I get most/all fans do it, and there's certainly a time and a place for taking the piss out of opposition players, fans and managers, but I'd much rather we collectively engaged in pro-Albion songs and support than some of the others that get trotted out.

Last night we had just hauled ourselves level when, deep in added time, Southampton had a free-kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. The response of some of the Albion crowd was to break into "2-0 and you ****ed it up". Brilliant. Fortunately Many Ryan pulled off what looked to be a fine save and we survived.

Other classics from last night:

"The South Coast is ours, the South Coast is ours..." - is it? Is it really? What does that actually mean, particularly given we were losing at the time?

"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home? Also: save that for the likes of Burnley where you may have a point.

"There's no one there, there's no one there..." - OK, there were some empty seats but it was Southampton v Brighton on a Monday night live on Sky. For much of that first half I was envious of the stay aways.

Is ti just me? Am I a grumpy old man?
I get where you're coming from - but reluctantly I have to say 'Grumpy'. (And I speak as a complete misanthrope). I too don't particularly like the negative stuff - but I'd MUCH rather people sung negative chants than didn't chant at all. We're getting into Song Nazi territory here where some people say "We can't sing such-and-such because someone else also sings it." So sing what you like, chant what you like - just create an atmosphere.

I could be wrong but for the sake of argument I'm going to say that I think it might be more of a .small club thing. I think bigger clubs tend to 'positively' support their own teams and ignore goading the opposition. (Partly because all the Day Trippers and Tourists don't know anything about the opposition). In a similar vein I think the most lower league, small club, tinpot thing we've done since we've been at the Amex was boo England's record goalscorer last year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Several times last night a few of our lot (down the front anyway) joined in with Saints fans when they thought the song had been started by us..........only to hear 'shoot the Pompey scum' :D

el punal

I must admit I do find most of the “negative” chants cringeworthy, only because they’re so f***ing unoriginal and banal. If you’re going to have a go at the opposition team/supporters come up with something a bit more inspired and witty. On that note, I did have a big chuckle when the Albion fans started singing “We are Brighton, super Brighton, we are Brighton from the North!” when we played at Bournemouth a couple of seasons ago.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The “2-0 up and you’ve ****ed it” up chant was asking for trouble.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tend to agree with Brovion in that I have no problem with nicking a good song idea if it's decent and amending appropriately. But also that if you're say 90 per cent piss-taking, that is verging into tinpot territory.

On the 'nicking good ideas' subject I really liked their Iwan Thomas one of sleeping out at St Mary's to raise money/awareness of homeless charities. Brighton also has a big problem there, and if they did that at the Amex (with protective sheet or whatever underneath for the pitch) I think a lot of people might do that. Great experience for the kids, and for a good cause.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I lived in Southampton for a while. It was rubbish compared to Brighton, with a complete concrete jungle of a centre (thanks to the Luftwaffe), bar tiny remnants of an ancient wall and lacking the buzz of many regional cities.

I quite like that chant.
Southampton is a bit of a hole, but then Brighton has its pimples.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here