Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holidaying alone?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Done a huge amount of solo travelling, and also a load of short hop / citybreak trips as part of a group. IMHO the solo trip wins hands down. Starts early in the morning when you want to get breakfast under the belt as soon as it opens, rather than twiddle yer thumbs til your fellow trippers get their arses in gear and aim for the same 9am slot that every other breakfast group has pencilled in. Just LOVE wandering aimlessly around the backstreets of an interesting looking area, cos there will ALWAYS be sometime excelente and obscure to see. Evening meals could potentially be a bind, staring into space between courses on a table for one, but cafe-bars soon sort that one out. Worst case scenario, you can always just stare into your phone. Just like every other bugger.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Worst case scenario, you can always just stare into your phone. Just like every other bugger.

Or the better solution is taking a good book along. I have had people come and talk to me because they see me reading an book in English.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Pretty much always go on my own!! Might meet pals along the way but being single its the only way really, no arguing with people where to go and when, if want a night in with movie just crack on and do it etc etc.

Use Skyscanner to search for flights and use the chart option to play around with dates and get cheapest flights, I dont mind indirect 1 stop flights as firstly it breaks up the trip and secondly can usually save a fortune!

Booking.com is my go to place for hotels and I usually book a bunch of places all on free cancellation so I can gauge how budget is going and what level of luxury I want in a hotel in certain places!! Im probably going to try out AirBnB in a few places on next trip but sometimes can get stung on the cleaning fees so its actually better off going to hotel especially if can get brekkie included!

Just do it and dont worry about being lonely as you can meet people anywhere you like pretty much if you want to or just keep yourself to yourself!!

You seem to do exactly the same as me. Skyscanner the flights and booking.com the room. Hotel with brekkie is indeed the way to go, I seem to upgraded a few times being a single traveller too :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Done a huge amount of solo travelling, and also a load of short hop / citybreak trips as part of a group. IMHO the solo trip wins hands down. Starts early in the morning when you want to get breakfast under the belt as soon as it opens, rather than twiddle yer thumbs til your fellow trippers get their arses in gear and aim for the same 9am slot that every other breakfast group has pencilled in. Just LOVE wandering aimlessly around the backstreets of an interesting looking area, cos there will ALWAYS be sometime excelente and obscure to see. Evening meals could potentially be a bind, staring into space between courses on a table for one, but cafe-bars soon sort that one out. Worst case scenario, you can always just stare into your phone. Just like every other bugger.

I always take a book and my phone. As you say, even the couples and groups seem to be knobbing about on their phone anyway.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
You seem to do exactly the same as me. Skyscanner the flights and booking.com the room. Hotel with brekkie is indeed the way to go, I seem to upgraded a few times being a single traveller too :)

When I travel solo, I try to avoid hotels altogether. Too many people in them. Booking a house on HomeAway/VRBO/airBnB is my preferred route, and often is cheaper.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
If I'm travelling alone, I like hotels for the personal space, but prefer hostels for meeting people.

Though recently stayed in a hostel in Edinburgh and found most of the other people staying were too busy staring at mobiles, iPad or laptops.
So actually, conversations weren't happening anyway......

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015

tbh depends on how much extra they want to charge for the brekkie!! And if Ive been there before and know if it any good and/or if I can get better/cheaper close by!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I spent 3 months island hopping the Greek Cyclades.
Had time to myself like sitting on an empty beach all day just swimming and sunbathing but also met some great people from all over the world.
When I had enough I just jumped on a ferry and went to another island.
Bunfight at every port with people offering rooms.
One of the best things I ever done.
Ios island, now there is a place if you haven't been thrte, absolutely bonkers but with fantastic beaches and Mykonos is now one of the best places in Europe

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Just jump on a plane and explore the world.

Have done that, I am pretty well travelled, I fancy it being semi organised for once if or when I go. Quite like what [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] said, maybe go somewhere and team up, or leave a group, I dunno!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's better than travelling with mates. The dream is having a mate where you're going who you can mooch around with for a bit. Several months at a time going round NL, Scandinavia and eastern Europe with a wireless. Marvellous.

If you do it regularly, don't forget to change your profile pictures to various photos of your shadow up mountains, frequently broadcast to the world how "woke" you are, change your signature to something like "free thinker, free spirit, nomad" and get really into real ale, expensive coffee and deck shoes.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Did inter-rail on my own years ago. Great fun - travel wherever you want to go and you always meet people anyway.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I just turned 41 mate and have been doing the solo travel thing for about a decade. I personally like to book things independently but then often join a tour for part of the holiday. Last year I went to central America for a month but joined a tour for 14 days of that. Last month I went to Peru for two weeks but joined a Macchu Picchu tour for 5 of those days. For both of these I used G adventures, they are a great company and always have a lot of solo travellers on them too, I have made loads of friends through them, just this weekend a friend from NY came to Brighton to stay at mine and I will be going to hers later on this year, getting to stay in NY for free!

Do not think about it too much, just do it and if you want any advice them feel free to send me a PM :)

This is the kind of info I am looking for thanks. I don't like being tied to too much set stuffs don't mind my own company, like others, the idea of dipping in and out appeals to me should I wish. Just an idea I had really, not given it much of a thought for some years. Did 3 months central America moons ago. Don't even have anywhere in mind right now. Somewhere with some snorkelling is always nice. I dunno! I have done probably just shy of 30 countries, though my situation and requirements have changed which is somewhat liberating and a nice thing to think about, hear others experience. Like I said, a little bit of comfort is ok, non pretentious.people is crucial, as is good company I could take or leave. Fit single girls a brucey bonus, Indonesia just popped into my head for no apparent reason.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's better than travelling with mates. The dream is having a mate where you're going who you can mooch around with for a bit. Several months at a time going round NL, Scandinavia and eastern Europe with a wireless. Marvellous.

If you do it regularly, don't forget to change your profile pictures to various photos of your shadow up mountains, frequently broadcast to the world how "woke" you are, change your signature to something like "free thinker, free spirit, nomad" and get really into real ale, expensive coffee and deck shoes.

Of course, and Thai fisherman's trouser s and henna tattoos

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Recommended.

Hmmm good food, snorkelling, solo travellers? Not been there. Thinking/typing aloud now. Always fancied Indonesia. Does anyone know a bar in Bali that shows the football? I would hate to start an I'm on holiday thread look at me, so let's get it out the way

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Hmmm good food, snorkelling, solo travellers? Not been there. Thinking/typing aloud now. Always fancied Indonesia. Does anyone know a bar in Bali that shows the football? I would hate to start an I'm on holiday thread look at me, so let's get it out the way

I've been solo to Bali five times. As a teetotaler, I'm unable to help you with bars, but I'm sure there are plenty that have the football, the EPL is shown live on TV in Indonesia. I'd avoid the whole southern part of Bali, though, personally - full of Australians.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has anyone done any travelling or arranged holidays on their own, as a single person,? I see there are a few companies who do holidays targeted to single people where you go in groups and there's excursions and stuff organised. Glamping Vs camping it seems, organised back packing of sorts. Yes it takes away some of the elements of back packing or going on mission on your own, and it will cost more hey. I have only read good things about it reallly, and giving it a thought at some point. I have done enough independent travelling and aren't really interested in the pretentiousness of 20 something's with dreads bongos and a camper van scowling at you for daring to use the lonely planet anymore.

Excuse the stereotype. Not interested too much in meeting an individual tinder style. Anyone done it? I might have the opportunity to do so for the first time soonish and it's quite appealing. I am 40

Several times I have taken a week in Cornwall, brilliant B and B that let's you come and go whenever, out during the day cycling to various beaches. The B and B doesn't take kids, which is great. I have found a few great places to eat, and some almost inaccessible beaches that require me to lock the bike up and hike. A perfect holiday for the antisocial ******* that I am if I feel the need to be alone, which I do. Mrs T is indulgent. If I told you the name and location of the B and B I would have to kill you, though. :lolol:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Travel alone a lot on visa runs these days but also holidays when lived back in Sussex. Some places suit it more than others and need to consider how long a place will hold interest (then add 2 days for downtime I find).

Have done a lot of North America, Europe and SE Asia.

My biggest tip would be to look into hostels that have a private double room aimed at couples. That way you can split the time as your mood takes you between privacy or wandering into the common areas to meet people. Prices are cheap and you can sneak a couple days in somewhere on a trip in a nice hotel with a pool to break it up.

I'm 35 but mostly old and boring. Like a drink and watching the football (Thailand everyone is obsessed with it, however most of Asia it's Basketball as number 1) but my clubbing days are long over.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Has anyone done any travelling or arranged holidays on their own, as a single person,? I see there are a few companies who do holidays targeted to single people where you go in groups and there's excursions and stuff organised. Glamping Vs camping it seems, organised back packing of sorts. Yes it takes away some of the elements of back packing or going on mission on your own, and it will cost more hey. I have only read good things about it reallly, and giving it a thought at some point. I have done enough independent travelling and aren't really interested in the pretentiousness of 20 something's with dreads bongos and a camper van scowling at you for daring to use the lonely planet anymore.

Excuse the stereotype. Not interested too much in meeting an individual tinder style. Anyone done it? I might have the opportunity to do so for the first time soonish and it's quite appealing. I am 40

I did some solo holidays in my 30s.
The prospect of it isn’t great so I hope this thread has given you some confidence to not overthink it and just do it.
Key thing is to travel with the mindset of you are going to make things happen and not go into your shell.
Good example is in Thailand. I spent an evening walking around a small town full of couples and later, ugly hookers. I have never felt so lonely.
The following day, I was at hotel reception and there was a Dutch guy there. I said I was off to bottle beach did he want to come along. He did and was a top bloke - supported vitesse Arnhem . That night we both hooked up with a couple of Israeli girls. Then we all went together on a week long trip around ang thong Islands. Some of my favourite travelling memories, and would never have happened if I had been with a friend.
If you don’t fancy this kind of thing, organised trips are an easier way of meeting people and you don’t have to think about logistics. I’d recommend the garden route in South Africa or Sri Lanka.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here