[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh, I thought the thread bouncing up to the top was going to be breaking the news that podium girls are now gone.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Didn't one of the major races last season do away with podium girls? Sure I remember it??

I'm not sure. As they don't do a podium girl fantasy comp, it will have passed me by I'm afraid.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Here's a shite old photo of a bit of flat terrain.

27624886_10215460416850668_9139622723051456390_o.jpg

Fukken woolly mammoth up top too!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched the cyclo cross World Championships.
Only one word to describe it:-

BRUTAL

wout_van_aert_world_champion_sptdw609_670.jpg

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Proposals by Highways England to ban cyclists from a stretch of the A63 near Hull have led to dismay among cycling groups, who say the plan could "set an extremely dangerous precedent".
Highways England said that six accidents in five years involving cyclists, one of which was fatal, had prompted it to look at barring them from using the road. Humberside Police are also supporting the proposal.
The only other road with a similar policy is thought to be an eight-mile stretch of the A19 on Teesside, where cyclists were banned in 2015.

The beginning!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Evening all.

I think this is going to be a little too niche but I'll ask anyway.

Today Jnr was asking about when the racing he used to do, on a local go-cart track, starts.
TBH on such a tight track he was always a bit of a liability, and had more than his fair share of tumbles, so I figured I'd steer him onto 10 mile TT's, and stupidly mentioned it to him before investigating.

I've had a look at Worthing Excelsiors events and all round their website and it's all very encouraging.
Lots of 'come along' 'give it a try' etc and I will contact them nearer to the season opener at the end of April, but I'm just a little be worried I'm setting him up to fail.

It seems to be very veteran/senior orientated, the only junior racing is 16 and is chalking up 26min times, jnr is only 13.
Their main course appears to be the A24 including 2 busy roundabouts.

It all seems a bit 'grown up' and light years away from where Jnr is at.
Although that said I'll happily enroll him into their Hill Climb events up the Washington Bostal.

Normally I'm from the parenting school of 'ah f*** it, what's the worse that can happen?', but this feels like too much too soon, am I being over cautious?

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Evening all.

Today Jnr was asking about when the racing he used to do, on a local go-cart track, starts.
TBH on such a tight track he was always a bit of a liability, and had more than his fair share of tumbles, so I figured I'd steer him onto 10 mile TT's, and stupidly mentioned it to him before investigating.

I've had a look at Worthing Excelsiors events and all round their website and it's all very encouraging.
Lots of 'come along' 'give it a try' etc and I will contact them nearer to the season opener at the end of April, but I'm just a little be worried I'm setting him up to fail.

It seems to be very veteran/senior orientated, the only junior racing is 16 and is chalking up 26min times, jnr is only 13.
There main course appears to be the A24 including 2 busy roundabouts.

Although that said I'll happily enroll him into their Hill Climb events up the Washington Bostal.

Normally I'm from the parenting school of 'ah f*** it, what's the worse that can happen?', but this feels like too much too soon, am I being over cautious?

Evening Stat, think as you say a little out of his league at the moment. Have you tried Angmering CC a little closer to you too.

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Evening all.

Their main course appears to be the A24 including 2 busy roundabouts.

Oh, what about Goodwood, have you had a look into that???

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Evening Stat, think as you say a little out of his league at the moment. Have you tried Amering CC a little closer to you too.

Yeah they're far more social rides.

I think WECC and Southdown Velo have the monopoly on 'TT races', and that's what my competitive little bugger needs.
Thinking as I type, I guess we can ride and practice through to the Summer and if he's up for it enter him into the last couple of races in the season, which in turn could encourage him through next winter.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, what about Goodwood, have you had a look into that???

Ah good point well made.
You'd have thought as I rode past it's front door on Monday I could have worked that out for myself.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Yeah they're far more social rides.

I think WECC and Southdown Velo have the monopoly on 'TT races', and that's what my competitive little bugger needs.
Thinking as I type, I guess we can ride and practice through to the Summer and if he's up for it enter him into the last couple of races in the season, which in turn could encourage him through next winter.

I’m surprised there’s not much for his age group considering the big love for cycling in the U.K. atm.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m surprised there’s not much for his age group considering the big love for cycling in the U.K. atm.

The Blazing Saddles event up at the Angmering Raceway was ideal, but as said he's clearly more of a 'straight line' racer.
At the moment I don't thinking his handling skills, such as they are, are even close to matching the speed he can now ride at, add that to a tight twisty-turny track and it'll only be a matter of time before we're heading off to A&E. .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Blazing Saddles event up at the Angmering Raceway was ideal, but as said he's clearly more of a 'straight line' racer.
At the moment I don't thinking his handling skills, such as they are, are even close to matching the speed he can now ride at, add that to a tight twisty-turny track and it'll only be a matter of time before we're heading off to A&E. .

Surely a tight twisty turny track will do wonders for his handling skills? If he enjoys it, why not just keep him at it.

I remember as kids we used to play 'chicken' round our quiet council estate roads. The idea was to run each other into the kerb or parked cars, and the last person in the group not to have put their foot down was the winner. So even though we didn't know it, we were effectively practising track stands :lol:

Anyway, back on topic. Plenty of time for TT's and all that gubbings as he grows older. Personally, I'd be happier, safety wise, leaving him on that track than having him ride up and down busy A roads and roundabouts,

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely a tight twisty turny track will do wonders for his handling skills? If he enjoys it, why not just keep him at it.

I remember as kids we used to play 'chicken' round our quiet council estate roads. The idea was to run each other into the kerb or parked cars, and the last person in the group not to have put their foot down was the winner. So even though we didn't know it, we were effectively practising track stands :lol:

Anyway, back on topic. Plenty of time for TT's and all that gubbings as he grows older. Personally, I'd be happier, safety wise, leaving him on that track than having him ride up and down busy A roads and roundabouts,
You would have thought so, but after 2 seasons he was still regularly sliding out, his last crash being very very bad indeed.

I think Goodwood might be an ideal middle ground, for a couple of years, I'm rather kicking myself for not working that out.

His first goal is the REMF ride from Selhurst to the AMEX, is that still a thing?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You would have thought so, but after 2 seasons he was still regularly sliding out, his last crash being very very bad indeed.

I think Goodwood might be an ideal middle ground, for a couple of years, I'm rather kicking myself for not working that out.

His first goal is the REMF ride from Selhurst to the AMEX, is that still a thing?

It's what still a thing? The ride going ahead?
I have no idea.

From what you've previously said about jnr, I can't see him not completing that ride if it does go ahead. One of ours did a 40 mile charity ride with me when she was 10, and I doubt she was anywhere near the level jnr stat is. Mind you, the ride was extremely flat and the pace very leisurely.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's what still a thing? The ride going ahead?
I have no idea.

From what you've previously said about jnr, I can't see him not completing that ride if it does go ahead. One of ours did a 40 mile charity ride with me when she was 10, and I doubt she was anywhere near the level jnr stat is. Mind you, the ride was extremely flat and the pace very leisurely.

Oh yeah I've got no issue with him and the distance.
Reining him in will be my biggest problem. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh yeah I've got no issue with him and the distance.
Reining him in will be my biggest problem. :lol:

Well then you'll just have to get your well worn..."it's a snickers not a sprint" line out to play then won't you :thumbsup:

Oh, and tell him it's for charidee too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

[MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here