Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a nice 12.6 mile run Sunday morning in nice conditions. Probably the best I've felt since before my last marathon in April 16, however I did feel a bit of pain which feels like IT band which I've had before.

It was my last run in old shoes (350 miles in) so I'm hoping a combination of foam roller and new footwear will do the trick and it won't catch up on me.

Also looking ahead to 2018 races and as always plenty of options.

The Weakest Link this year is scheduled for Wednesday 20th June so the 5k leaderboard will shape our teams for this one.

Also quite like the look of the Steyning Stinger HM. Has anyone done this one before? What's it like and would you recommend? It is quite pricey.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a nice 12.6 mile run Sunday morning in nice conditions. Probably the best I've felt since before my last marathon in April 16, however I did feel a bit of pain which feels like IT band which I've had before.

It was my last run in old shoes (350 miles in) so I'm hoping a combination of foam roller and new footwear will do the trick and it won't catch up on me.

Also looking ahead to 2018 races and as always plenty of options.

The Weakest Link this year is scheduled for Wednesday 20th June so the 5k leaderboard will shape our teams for this one.

Also quite like the look of the Steyning Stinger HM. Has anyone done this one before? What's it like and would you recommend? It is quite pricey.

Done the Stinger marathon a few times. Well organised, all very friendly and social. If wet, the course will be an absolute mudbath in parts. Price includes a cooked breakfast at the finish. If you’re racing (like you would be) then start times is fixed but otherwise you can rock up at the start and go when you want.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That’s very kind but I’ll be nowhere near you at Worthing! If I finish within five minutes of you that’ll be a good day.

Edinburgh isn’t until 27th May. It seems ridiculous but I’m thinking of booking another marathon for April. I’m not far away from being ready so why not make the most of the hard work by getting two under my belt. Does anyone know the recommended break between marathons? I’m guessing you’re not supposed to do two too close together?

Good question. There are better qualified than me but I say you want 6 weeks between if you want to improve after attacking the first one.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Excuse my ignorance but what is The Weakest Link? I keep seeing/hearing references to it but obviously I was far too shit this time last year to have paid any attention to it.

It’s a team relay event, really good fun. Teams of four run five 2.5k legs so the 4th person runs two legs back to back. We had 4 teams last year and would expect us to get a 5th based on the activity we get here and on Strava. Knocky1 does a great job skippering and keeping the ego’s in check.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds really good. As we get closer to June I’ll need to manipulate my position in the table to ensure I’m not our 4th, 8th, 12th etc fastest man!

You nearly get it. But it's first, fifth, nineth,etc you want to avoid. Fastest man does the back to backs.
You could ask on here to buy a Brighton marathon place from anyone who is unable to run?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Excuse my ignorance but what is The Weakest Link? I keep seeing/hearing references to it but obviously I was far too shit this time last year to have paid any attention to it.

See page 1050 of this thread for some really nice photos of the NSC teams at last year’s event. A great (hot and sunny - remember what that feels like?) evening.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I follow a girl called Chloe Conquers on Instagram, she does some amazing core workouts and they're really impactful. I have started doing a routine which includes hanging from an overhead bar and doing the cycling motion, slowly and controlled, then raising my knees up to my chest and back down until legs are straight, and back up again. The challenges are holding yourself up, and then being able to do 10/20 of the cyclies and then 8/10 of the raises. It's tough, and you really feel it afterwards.

Otherwise, sit ups are always effective to start, side planks as well - look up Russian Twists too, they're very good when done correctly. There are loads of core exercises, the trick is not doing the same ones over and over again because they lose effectiveness and impact - which defies the purpose!

Thanks for this. Useful info. I’m not sure how the missus will react if she finds out I’m following a girl called Chloe Conquers on social media though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
See page 1050 of this thread for some really nice photos of the NSC teams at last year’s event. A great (hot and sunny - remember what that feels like?) evening.

cd3b54f564c6e86093a762a8ecf927a6.jpg

Difficult to spot the health food shop owner, who helped us make 12 runners!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was thinking of it a different way, i.e. I wouldn’t want to be the fourth best man in a team because I would then presumably be the weakest link, the last one to finish at the end who three teammates are waiting for. But I didn’t consider the fact the strongest man is running back to back so would presumably no longer be the fastest man in the team leg when the other three have just had a rest? I suppose it all depends on the difference between each man in the team. It sounds intriguing from a tactical perspective. Maybe P2 or P3 is the safe place to be within a team?

I have thought about Brighton. My work has been given a place to auction and there is very little interest in it so I could probably get that quite easily. The problem is it’s the same weekend as Palace away, which I think is a banker for a Sunday 12pm kick off. So I am holding back until the TV games get announced.

If work doesn't come up trumps [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] may well have a spare charity place for REMF. Last year's runners got a free REMF Brighton shirt. I can put you in touch if you want, just PM me. Understand you need to wait for TV games. I may also have a normal place although I'm currently trying to transfer it to the BM10k earlier in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If work doesn't come up trumps [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] may well have a spare charity place for REMF. Last year's runners got a free REMF Brighton shirt. I can put you in touch if you want, just PM me. Understand you need to wait for TV games. I may also have a normal place although I'm currently trying to transfer it to the BM10k earlier in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some places available for the Brighton Marathon in April to run for the REMF. PM me if interested, thanks

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was thinking of it a different way, i.e. I wouldn’t want to be the fourth best man in a team because I would then presumably be the weakest link, the last one to finish at the end who three teammates are waiting for. But I didn’t consider the fact the strongest man is running back to back so would presumably no longer be the fastest man in the team leg when the other three have just had a rest? I suppose it all depends on the difference between each man in the team. It sounds intriguing from a tactical perspective. Maybe P2 or P3 is the safe place to be within a team?

I have thought about Brighton. My work has been given a place to auction and there is very little interest in it so I could probably get that quite easily. The problem is it’s the same weekend as Palace away, which I think is a banker for a Sunday 12pm kick off. So I am holding back until the TV games get announced.

The relay is just fun, unless you're a Super Ego, of course. Then it's about me,me,me and me all trying to be be better than the other me's.
I'm worried about the Palace game now and you certainly have the right priority. Even with a 1pm k.o. I'd miss hearing/seeing the whole match. A 10am + start at Preston Park this year puts paid to that. I think my ITB is starting to go......the Met Police are made of sterner stuff than our shirkers so fingers crossed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good shot. Where's that from? Didn't know the A team have their own photographer.
Hadn't [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] run a 145 mile Ultra on the Grand Union Canal the week before?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good shot. Where's that from? Didn't know the A team have their own photographer.
Hadn't [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] run a 145 mile Ultra on the Grand Union Canal the week before?

Yes we have a full crew to support us. My mate took it who wasn’t running, a good action shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here