Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Should we have a poll on who Mr Burns came back as ?

(I have a funny feeling that the new Mr Burns is a prolific poster on a certain long running thread :whistle:)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
So predictable this thread appearing again. So why did no one post on it for the last 7 weeks. Nothing to report I guess.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just re read some of the early posts on this thread and there were plenty of posters who weren’t really disagreeing with many of the OP’s points in his original post?

Were you one of them? :smile:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Some people really need to move on. The messiah won't be coming back.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just re read some of the early posts on this thread and there were plenty of posters who weren’t really disagreeing with many of the OP’s points in his original post?

Were you one of them? :smile:

December 2017

What I find interesting, looking back on this discussion, is how I'm not sure a lot of the people defending Barnes come out of it completely clean. The thread was started when we were in league 1. There were quite a few people talking about replacing Barnes when we get to the championship, and him slipping down our pecking order as we moved up one division. There weren't many people defending him strongly enough to suggest he would not be out of place as the similar position (third striker getting a fair amount of game time) in the premier league. Even those defending him seemed to think upper league one/lower championship would be his level.

April this year:

Again, I say. It's great that everyone is revelling in Mr Burns' wrongness. But most of us standing up for Barnes when we were in league one were not of the opinion he would do well in the premier league. It was more a defence of him as a league one player with the assumption he would be third choice in the Championship. No one was arguing he would or could go as far as he did.

(don't need to rehash discussion) said:
That's not true at all. I certainly reckoned that he was decent enough to be first choice in a top-half Championship team. I must say that I'm surprised that he's a first choice for a top 7 PL team but he was a decent player with us and players with the attitude of Barnes will often do well for themselves

I don't see how what you say contradicts me, really. Firstly, I deliberately used the term "most' people standing up for Barnes, of course there are exceptions, you may have been one of them I can't really be bothered to go back through the past 1200-odd posts again having gone through them during one of the previous bounce-athons to come to my conclusion.

But also, even suggesting he was decent enough to be a first choice in the top 12 of the championship is still not saying he would be regularly playing for a top 8 premier league side, scoring goals and getting, in some quarters, chatter about playing for England.

While most of us saw he was better than Mr Burns gave him credit for, he has exceeded most peoples expectations.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

(I have a funny feeling that the new Mr Burns is a prolific poster on a certain long running thread :whistle:)

So predictable this thread appearing again. So why did no one post on it for the last 7 weeks. Nothing to report I guess.

I'll go for [MENTION=18657]bluenitsuj[/MENTION]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some people really need to move on. The messiah won't be coming back.

Sadly you're probably right. We don't really do strikers that get right in the face of defenders and are s physical force in the box. Never say never tho, if Burnley go down before us. Ashley would always be welcomed back by our proper fans who recognise he'd give us something we don't currently have, and haven't had since he left.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Isn't part of the reason that we are top of the league down to Barnes though? If you look at Gus's other choices, (Holroyd, Sandaza, Hart) at the start of the seson, do you think they would have contributed as much as Barnes has done?

FWIW I do not think he is a complete player, but then if he was, he would have cost us a lot more than £60k. He is stroppy at times, does not win much in the air, and does not track back the same way that Muzza does (yesterday Sir Glenn was immense in that regard).

As for the comparisons made elsewhere with Bryan Wade, they surely are ridiculous, Wade's flame blew very brightly and VERY briefly, Barnes' is still doing it regularly.

Not banned.

Suspect he spontaneously combusted when Burnley were promoted & Barnes’ goal was voted best of the season at Turf Moor.

I believe he’s back on NSC under a different name...

I've said several times that Brian Wade aka b.w.2 is very similar in posting style

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When can we expect this thread to be bounced again, end of November?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Or God forbid the 8th December after a Barnes winner.

He’ll probably score against us eventually, but he’s not scored in the 5 games since we sold him so would be hard to claim some sort of returning player jinx. Unlike Murray, who - I think - scored 5 goals in 6 games against us for Palace and Reading.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm absolutely certain that Mr Burns is a significant contributor on the Brexit thread.

Trouble is I'm looking for someone who always insists they're right, despite all evidence to the contrary. I'm having a bit of trouble compiling a short list :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here