Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ripped off, damaged Watch! Advice please.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Surely it'll only take him a few minutes to sort this?

Lush

Mods' Pet
In my experience, if a watch is anything other than a well-known name, most jewellers will say from the outset that they won't be responsible for any damage caused trying to open the cover and replace the battery.

Your guy is clearly inexperienced, otherwise he'd have known this. I imagine he's bricking it. Not that this helps you.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Update, I gave the guy 2 weeks to fix it. I got the watch back and it's still the same, he did nothing. I got receipts in the end, photos of them.
So my question is now, do I take him to the small claims? Is it worth it? How much does it cost? The watch itself is probably not worth much but it's the cost of a replacement or repair that's the issue.
I just hate how this guy just refuses to accept any wrong doing even though I gave the watch to him in good condition and it came back broken. Or shall I just go back to the original idea and just give reviews of my experiences with him online, Google and Trustpilot etc. It annoys me that he might do this to someone else.
Any advice is appreciated?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Update, I gave the guy 2 weeks to fix it. I got the watch back and it's still the same, he did nothing. I got receipts in the end, photos of them.
So my question is now, do I take him to the small claims? Is it worth it? How much does it cost? The watch itself is probably not worth much but it's the cost of a replacement or repair that's the issue.
I just hate how this guy just refuses to accept any wrong doing even though I gave the watch to him in good condition and it came back broken. Or shall I just go back to the original idea and just give reviews of my experiences with him online, Google and Trustpilot etc. It annoys me that he might do this to someone else.

I feel your pain, but small claims court fee is expensive these days isn't it to avoid this sort of claim taking up court time?

It's a horrible situation to be in, but lick your wounds and move on. Leave a bad review or two if you want, but starting an online hate campaign is not going to do you any favours. Sounds trite, but be grateful you found out he's useless on a £100 watch rather than a £1000 watch.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
For a claim of up to £300 it'll cost you £60. £35 claim fee and £25 hearing fee which you pay if he doesn't settle before a hearing date has been set. If you win you should get your costs back. Write to him and say you are going to start a small claim if he doesn't compensate you. If he refuses then you can start the process and he'll realise you're not calling his bluff and it might prompt him into doing something. Of course at that point you insist that he'll also have to repay your £35 claim fee.

https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/small-claims-court-fees.aspx

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Should of got a repair ticket first
Should of questioned why it was sent off without your permission
Should of checked it was working when it was returned before leaving the shop
Should of got a receipt.

If the retailer is honest they will try and sort. If they are not then got u over a barrel.
The only point you have an argument against was sending the watch away without
Your autherisation. I'd use that angle.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Should of got a receipt.

If the retailer is honest they will try and sort. If they are not then got u over a barrel.

Quadruple pedantry attack. Should have, should have, should have and should have.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
So I needed a new battery in my watch. It's made by victorinox and cost me about £100 a couple of years ago. So I go into a local jewellers that advertises changing watch batteries. The guy in the jewellers said it would cost £10 and he tried to open it. He couldn't, and asked me to leave it with him and collect tomorrow. It's a very local place and I am in the village everyday. So I thought nothing of leaving the watch with him. I didn't get a receipt( yes I know!!), seeing as I am local and about all the time, I didn't have any concerns. So I returned the next day and he said he couldn't open the watch and had to give it to a jewellers that work on Rolex's no less! So I said, ok I'll come back tomorrow. I was busy today so my wife went to pick up the watch, she paid the tenner and got the watch ( no receipt again! Yes yes I Know!!). About 8 pm tonight I get the watch and see that it has a different winder on the side that looks daft and doesn't seem to fit, but also it's pretty useless! You push it in and the watch stops, pull it out and it starts (back to front), also you can hardly set the time and the date keeps rolling around. The watch is damaged in quite a bad way, it's actually useless because with natural movement, the winder gets pushed in and the watch stops.
So I am going back tomorrow, but I have a feeling the guy is pretty untrustworthy now. After all he took the tenner off my wife knowing the watch was fücked, and he tried to hide it by putting a different winder in it!
So NSC, do I have a claim with the small claims court assuming the guys will be a dick, even though I have no proof? Will I threaten to slam him on social media, stand outside putting off customers etc? Also I want my tenner and half the value of the watch.
What would you do and what can you recommend? Any help is appreciated!! Cheers.

Funny - I just had a conversation this morning with a colleague, who was complaining about people (mainly young people, he said) who seem to start more or less every sentence with "so". I said that I'd not noticed this. Then I opened this thread.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Should of got a receipt.

Thank you Captain Hindsight.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Be polite yet firm. As part of the discussion say you have a high personal profile in the village and across Sussex and it would sadden you to have to publicise this incident. If no luck, let the raging bull off the leash

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just hate how this guy just refuses to accept any wrong doing even though I gave the watch to him in good condition and it came back broken. Or shall I just go back to the original idea and just give reviews of my experiences with him online, Google and Trustpilot etc.
Do both.

This is not professional advice, just an internet opinion:
Get the forms for the small claims, fill them in so they're ready to hand in (except signature), copy them, and send him a copy telling him to settle or the claim goes in, pointing out that the latter will cost him a lot more.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
For a claim of up to £300 it'll cost you £60. £35 claim fee and £25 hearing fee which you pay if he doesn't settle before a hearing date has been set. If you win you should get your costs back. Write to him and say you are going to start a small claim if he doesn't compensate you. If he refuses then you can start the process and he'll realise you're not calling his bluff and it might prompt him into doing something. Of course at that point you insist that he'll also have to repay your £35 claim fee.

https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/small-claims-court-fees.aspx

I think I'll follow your advice.
Thanks for the help!!

Honest this bloke is unreal. I've tried reasoning with him, coming to an arrangement. He just refuses to accept any blame at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here