Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers Strike July 5

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Less than a quarter of the NUT membership actually bothered to vote. Apparently their workload is too heavy, poor little darlings......

Should wake up a few people as we wait for the big news tomorrow.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Less than a quarter of the NUT membership actually bothered to vote. Apparently their workload is too heavy, poor little darlings......

Should wake up a few people as we wait for the big news tomorrow.

I take it you're in favour of funding cuts for maintained schools, standardised testing of four year olds, forced academisation and unqualified teachers educating your children then?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I have absolutely no sympathy with teachers anymore. Yes their jobs may be hard at times but then so are all of ours. They get enough time off to make up for it.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I have absolutely no sympathy with teachers anymore. Yes their jobs may be hard at times but then so are all of ours. They get enough time off to make up for it.

How does having time off at the holidays help teachers get all their work done during term time when there isn't enough time in a week to do everything? There is only so much prep you can do in the holidays. I used to be a teacher, I now earn more and work less and would not go back just for the holidays (which you end up working a lot of anyway). End result of overworked teachers is badly taught children.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I take it you're in favour of funding cuts for maintained schools, standardised testing of four year olds, forced academisation and unqualified teachers educating your children then?

firstly i thought forced acedemies had been dropped and unqualifed teachers is a complex issue (matters for say maths, not so much for sports or drama). secondly, more importantly, they arent striking over these issues but pay and conditions.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The teaching unions don't represent their members very well. The NUT particularly like headlines. In the end, the teaching unions fail to improve the lot of their members, education, the pupils and succeed only in irritating the parents.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

If you were at school for 8am every weekday morning and working until 10pm or later at home most evenings you might reconsider that statement. Teacher's workloads are in another league from most of ours.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
How does having time off at the holidays help teachers get all their work done during term time when there isn't enough time in a week to do everything? There is only so much prep you can do in the holidays. I used to be a teacher, I now earn more and work less and would not go back just for the holidays (which you end up working a lot of anyway). End result of overworked teachers is badly taught children.

I have a wife and a daughter-in-law in education - we know the hours they put in, and in the holidays as well!!! Threads like this are just a place for some people to show off their extreme ignorance and prejudice.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
If you were at school for 8am every weekday morning and working until 10pm or later at home most evenings you might reconsider that statement. Teacher's workloads are in another league from most of ours.

I don't buy working until 10pm at home. At my son's secondary you will be lucky to find a teacher past 4pm, no doubt they all rushed off home to get to work again. Even so with thirteen weeks holiday minimum per year, they are hardly worked into the ground. My opinion and only my opinion is they have it no harder than other workers and cannot and will not get any sympathy from me.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
firstly i thought forced acedemies had been dropped and unqualifed teachers is a complex issue (matters for say maths, not so much for sports or drama). secondly, more importantly, they arent striking over these issues but pay and conditions.

Being a governor at a primary school has been a bit of an eye opener for me .... to be honest with you I'm surprised its taken this long for the teachers to consider strike action.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't buy working until 10pm at home. At my son's secondary you will be lucky to find a teacher past 4pm, no doubt they all rushed off home to get to work again. Even so with thirteen weeks holiday minimum per year, they are hardly worked into the ground. My opinion and only my opinion is they have it no harder than other workers and cannot and will not get any sympathy from me.

Utter nonsense blinkered view. You have obviously never known anyone in the teaching profession. Do you have any idea of the percentage of people who quit the profession every year due to the demands of the job?

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex

I used to think like that, but having lived with a teacher for 4 years my view has totally changed, u might think they piss off at 4 everyday but they will be doing a good 3/4 hours work at home preparing/marking ect. They dont get paid enough for what they do trust me. Also alot of the easter holidays there having to sort out reports and the last two weeks of the summer hols there preparing the next year so the time off they get really isnt as good as it sounds

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have a wife and a daughter-in-law in education - we know the hours they put in, and in the holidays as well!!! Threads like this are just a place for some people to show off their extreme ignorance and prejudice.

Exactly, no other profession garners such bullshit from every man and his dog who because they went to school years ago think they know how much work a teacher does. If it is so easy and the holidays are so fantastic, why doesn't everybody do it? The answer of course is that most people who express this opinion wouldn't last a term :). Not only this of course but we also have to cop the blame for everything that goes wrong in society, maybe some kind of 'scapegoat bonus' should be included in their demands.

FWIW i would gladly swap my holidays for enough time during the term to do my job properly, this would of course be reflected in my salary and mean i didn't have to work so many evenings and weekends. Sadly though kids can only cope with certain length of terms before they start to burn out the lazy little buggers.

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I've done the teaching thing for four years. I'm thoroughly educated, I have a good, well paid job (and have had numerous other jobs since leaving the teaching industry), and I can categorically say that teaching was far and away the hardest, most strenuous, relatively poorest paid, most pressurised job I have ever worked. To be utterly frank, every other industry or job I've worked in before or since is ****ing easy in comparison.

Oh, and the moaning that teachers do about working from 7am through to 10pm, with relatively little break in the meantime is true, particularly in the early years. And yes, teachers do work through their holidays.

I'm glad I left the profession and I'm glad that teachers are standing up for themselves.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My union is the UCU (universities). Completely hopeless. Harping on about gender pay differences, while ignoring the fact that it isn't pay it is the fact there are far more male professors (a historiocal and sociological phenomenon) that is unequal. We get equal pay for equal grade (as is the law). Trouble is my union is run by cardigan wearing spaghetti knitting innumerait, who damage all the real causes with spurious claptrap and lost causes. I was called to strike recently but forgot there was a strike. My job is not ever going to graze my elbows or tax my lumbago. School teachers are much the same as me. I don't expect them to mount a successful campaign because they habitually sabotage their just causes with claptrap and nonsense, just like my lot do, only moreso. My union rep is an SWP member. As I have mentioned previously. :nono::shrug::facepalm::shit:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here