Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

our strikers

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We bought baldock, bournemouth bought wilson simular league 1 players. Now look at the difference. We cant just blame strikers, its the way we play were just far too negative. If baldock had been at bournemouth this season he'd have 20 plus goals (barring any injury)
Baldock is very good when played as a striker and getting good service through the middle...If baldock was at bournemouth he'd score shite loads.

Our whole disjointed set up is appalling

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Baldock is very good when played as a striker and getting good service through the middle...If baldock was at bournemouth he'd score shite loads.

Our whole disjointed set up is appalling

That was my point.
If we'd bought wilson instead do you think hed have scored as many goals as he has this season? I very very much doubt it

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That was my point.
If we'd bought wilson instead do you think hed have scored as many goals as he has this season? I very very much doubt it

No, he very probably wouldn't have. As has been pointed out COG got 15 goals in this division last year playing with probably a worse team than our current lot. I know he was out of favour for a bit, but you'd think with the games he's had he'd have got at least about 5.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Until we start playing a system that is positive and our philosophy changes from not wanting to lose to wanting to win we ain't going nowhere.Need real pace and intent when attacking and players in the box would help...Don't think hughton is that type of manager though and expect the boring negative football again next season.

Wait and see would be my suggestion. He finished champions with Newcastle and fourth with Birmingham, you don't do that with total negative football. with money to spend in the summer and his own players I think we will do just fine. The worry is surviving this season, I thought we would finish 10th when CH took over, I would take 18th now just to ensure safety.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Nothing wrong with CH !! Its the Ryman South Senior Squad we have playing Championship football !!

Only 4/5 have the abilty to play anywhere near this level.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Cheap cheap cheap keep everything cheap and nasty and this is what happens bloom and barber

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I still don't think a front line of Suarez Messi & Ronaldo would score that many playing for the Albion.

There's been something fundamentally wrong with how the Albion have attacked the opposition, since we arrived at the AMEX.

I know there's a degree of facetiousness about comments like this, but I'm certain they are not true.

Suarez, Messi and Ronaldo have tremendous work rates, when they don't get the service, they adjust their game, they drop deep to get the ball and they use their skill to take on defenders and create chances for themselves. Their goal scoring doesn't come from standing in the box and waiting to be showered with great balls, they make things happen for themselves and their team.

Having said that, too often our counter attacks are slow, there isn't a lot of support and these counter attacks are often snubbed out by our opponent's more eager defence, than our non-committal attack. Our slower builds are met with a lack of movement in our opponents half. Too often our attacking players take up a position and wait for the ball to come to them, rather than moving around, trying to lose their man to get that bit of space to allow them to do something when they do receive it, or just providing a decent forward pass option.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I know there's a degree of facetiousness about comments like this, but I'm certain they are not true.

Suarez, Messi and Ronaldo have tremendous work rates, when they don't get the service, they adjust their game, they drop deep to get the ball and they use their skill to take on defenders and create chances for themselves. Their goal scoring doesn't come from standing in the box and waiting to be showered with great balls, they make things happen for themselves and their team.

Having said that, too often our counter attacks are slow, there isn't a lot of support and these counter attacks are often snubbed out by our opponent's more eager defence, than our non-committal attack. Our slower builds are met with a lack of movement in our opponents half. Too often our attacking players take up a position and wait for the ball to come to them, rather than moving around, trying to lose their man to get that bit of space to allow them to do something when they do receive it, or just providing a decent forward pass option.

So we're unimaginative and predictable?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Brighton fans will moan about any striker, so what is the poiny? Have you forgotten the amount of "Ulloa is slow and has a shit touch" comments?
Yeah but he did..

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
In the 80's it was Titlman over Dean Saunders, then Farrington over Ian Wright and now its CMS over Murray. Nothing changes, we love to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Farrington over Ian wright , how come .

Wrights trial was 1984 , Mark Farrington signed in 1991 when wright was playing for Arsenal .

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
The worst set of strikers we've had in my time of supporting the Albion in 35yrs - that includes Gillingham yrs - ****ung woeful - get rid of the lot - absolute shite

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Or you could refuse to pay more than 500k, I know which I think would be more likely to produce the goods.

I think Bloom is blaming the recruitment system he put in place, hence the sacking of Burke as we apparently pay the same as other top teams (cough). Let's see what happens this summer. I won't be holding my breath as I imagine we'll be more concentrated on who is saleable rather than who to bring in. Will we wait until two weeks into the season to make our move again?

Nope! As always, we will wait for the loan window and sign some more wasters.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That's the spirit!

Anyway while I've got your attention, as you seem to have these kind of figures at your fingertips.

Elsewhere I made the point that Watford have lost 11 games this season.

How many did we lose in total under Gus and Oscar?

Feb 14, 2010
Farrington over Ian wright , how come .

Wrights trial was 1984 , Mark Farrington signed in 1991 when wright was playing for Arsenal .

Sorry, it was Terry Connor over Ian Wright then.. makes little difference. The lack of goals can be traced to spending £2 Million on CMS instead of spending some of that £2 Million on more money for Murray. Football, like life is about making the right calls and taking your chances. The Albion just fail to do so time after time.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Sorry, it was Terry Connor over Ian Wright then.. makes little difference. The lack of goals can be traced to spending £2 Million on CMS instead of spending some of that £2 Million on more money for Murray. Football, like life is about making the right calls and taking your chances. The Albion just fail to do so time after time.

Sorry to be pedantic but Terry Connor was signed from Leeds with Andy Ritchie moving the other way .

Steve Penny was signed instead of Ian Wright .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But how many goals would Murray have scored in a team with 3 defensive holding midfielders and one from:-

A lame right winger
A diving show pony.
&
A player who refused to pass or shoot.

Taking that list forward to the present day, doesn't make any better reading, esp as we are so reliant on a whole new squad of holding midfielders.

As much as the problem is the goal scoring, it's not necessarily ALL the fault of the strikers.

If the club isn't careful they could spend £200k, £2m or £20m, and still be left with the same problem.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's the spirit!

Anyway while I've got your attention, as you seem to have these kind of figures at your fingertips.

Elsewhere I made the point that Watford have lost 11 games this season.

How many did we lose in total under Gus and Oscar?

2011/12 - 14
2012/13 - 9

2013/14 - 12

2014/15 - 16 so far (Hyypia 9, Hughton 7)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here