Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thai train

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
Just booked a ticket for an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai online ...that was interesting. ......anyone been on ?

Spoon

May 31, 2009
Yeah did it last summer, it can take anything from 15-20 hours. The bed is reasonably wide and comfortable and you get one pillow and a curtain around the bunk bed. There is 4 in each compartment, but unlike other SE Asian trains there are no doors to the compartments, so make sure your valuables are safe, even though it should be fine as Thai's are great. There is food on board, but make sure you take plenty of food and drink on with you. There are plugs, so electronics are fine. The toilets are ok. It is way better than doing the same journey by bus! Chiang Mai is my favourite place in Thailand, so enjoy!

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
Yeah did it last summer, it can take anything from 15-20 hours. The bed is reasonably wide and comfortable and you get one pillow and a curtain around the bunk bed. There is 4 in each compartment, but unlike other SE Asian trains there are no doors to the compartments, so make sure your valuables are safe, even though it should be fine as Thai's are great. There is food on board, but make sure you take plenty of food and drink on with you. There are plugs, so electronics are fine. The toilets are ok. It is way better than doing the same journey by bus! Chiang Mai is my favourite place in Thailand, so enjoy!

Thanks for that......I'm going with the trouble and strife, so I've booked first class. ....own cabin I believe..

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I happen to know [MENTION=4863]brighton_girl87[/MENTION] is over there now and I think she did this

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Crazy. Wouldn't happen on a German train.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it is interesting to say the least ,they used to let all the hawkers on at all the stops back in the 80's , doubt they do it nowadays...if they do , don't buy anything with seafood in it.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Thanks for that......I'm going with the trouble and strife, so I've booked first class. ....own cabin I believe..

Own cabin? You're missing all the fun! I used to live in Bangkok and we'd take the overnight sleepers all the time as it was always a good social gathering with locals and tourists having a drink and a laugh. That said, you won't have to listen to people snoring and farting all night so maybe you made the right decision. If you take drinks on and tip the guy serving the meals he'll keep bringing you ice or whatever you need. Often more food if you're still hungry. The staff on the trains are really friendly but once they say it's bed time you can't leave your carriage and they get shirty if you're noisy.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I used to get the 2nd class sleeper from BKK to Surat Thani every other week and it was decent enough.

First class is a big step-up so you'll have no troubles.

Keep your valuables with you whilst you sleep.
Take plenty of snacks and bog-roll.

Have a good one.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I happen to know [MENTION=4863]brighton_girl87[/MENTION] is over there now and I think she did this

Yep, I got one from Bangkok to Surat Thani and thought it was great. Cheaper and cleaner than some of the hostels I've been staying in! I went 2nd class, so 1st class will be even better. The only downside is the squat toilets, particularly when the train suddenly stops moving and your trying to balance on a soaking wet floor.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
Yep, I got one from Bangkok to Surat Thani and thought it was great. Cheaper and cleaner than some of the hostels I've been staying in! I went 2nd class, so 1st class will be even better. The only downside is the squat toilets, particularly when the train suddenly stops moving and your trying to balance on a soaking wet floor.

:)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You could get thousands of POWs, feed them very little and force them to build a branch line through the jungle. It can be done.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Own cabin? You're missing all the fun! I used to live in Bangkok and we'd take the overnight sleepers all the time as it was always a good social gathering with locals and tourists having a drink and a laugh. That said, you won't have to listen to people snoring and farting all night so maybe you made the right decision. If you take drinks on and tip the guy serving the meals he'll keep bringing you ice or whatever you need. Often more food if you're still hungry. The staff on the trains are really friendly but once they say it's bed time you can't leave your carriage and they get shirty if you're noisy.

And they can have sex.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Is it worth booking in advance? I land in bangkok late march and plan to go up to chang mai after a few days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here