Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday: do you believe in Jesus? Do you love Jesus? Do you trust Jesus?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm pretty sceptical about the whole religion thing, but it hasn't stopped me asking for a few favours down the years (like when my daughter was ill). If it gives people comfort then I think it's probably alright, it's not really any part of my life though.

I remember Tony Benn demolishing Richard Dawkins in a debate about Chritsmas. Of course Benn was in favour, despite being an atheist. Likewise I am in favour of religion, despite having no time for it myself. It serves a purpose. Some people need comfort, and others need to feel controlled by a doctrine. In fact, without a doctrine it can be hard to Do The Right Thing. Moral maze and all that. Perhaps my atheism, and tolerance of religion is just massive arrogance. Anyway, Like Mr Lydon almost said a long time ago, I try very hard to be nice. I think we all should.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
"Live and let live" is, of course, a fine sentiment. How can any reasonable person have a problem with someone holding benign religious beliefs, however strange and illogical those beliefs may seem to the rest of us.

However, when any religion's imperative turns into "Live and kill all unbelievers", then everyone else has a serious problem. The only answer then can be to challenge the systematic brainwashing that has produced such a pitiless, murderous philosophy.

A good place to start would be those so-called faith schools, many of which pollute impressionable minds with a grotesquely distorted view of humanity and of the world in which we all live. In our flawed yet still liberal democracy, we owe it to all our children to develop an inquisitive, rational approach to learning, and to life, that will detect and instinctively reject any attempt at malignant religious brainwashing.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"The world is a cess pit, the bible is a sanctuary" - Franz Kafka said that.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
"Live and let live" is, of course, a fine sentiment. How can any reasonable person have a problem with someone holding benign religious beliefs, however strange and illogical those beliefs may seem to the rest of us.

However, when any religion's imperative turns into "Live and kill all unbelievers", then everyone else has a serious problem. The only answer then can be to challenge the systematic brainwashing that has produced such a pitiless, murderous philosophy.

A good place to start would be those so-called faith schools, many of which pollute impressionable minds with a grotesquely distorted view of humanity and of the world in which we all live. In our flawed yet still liberal democracy, we owe it to all our children to develop an inquisitive, rational approach to learning, and to life, that will detect and instinctively reject any attempt at malignant religious brainwashing.
Isis and other very small minorities give religion a bad name.

Almost all people who believe in their faith are very peaceful people.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’m an atheist, but I always rather liked Basil Fawlty’s philosophical discussion with Polly when looking at one of her sketches

Basil: I mean, what is the point of something like that?
Polly: No point.
Basil: No POINT?
Polly: What's the point in being alive?
Basil: Beats me. We're stuck with it, I suppose.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Jesus was simply hung from a tree.

no huge amount of hours flapping on a cross suffering for our sins....he was hanged,his neck probably broke instantly,he didnt suffer at all really.

The bible says he was hanged from a tree so it must be true

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Christians believe God created earth. Jesus the son of God arrived on this planet circa 2015 years ago. Given the undeniable age of this planet what they are saying is God spent the first 4.5 billion years sat on his arse?

Religion is the number one root of so many wars. The emergence of ISIS being the most recent (and most brutal). So many deaths attributed to religion, for something that is meant to represent peace and kindness I find this staggering. These so called heavenly beings can part the Red Sea and feed the 5000 but seemingly no one can now end this suffering.

It's a load of old cods wallop which I'm convinced was contrived by an inebriated chancer and latched onto by the masses.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jesus was simply hung from a tree.

no huge amount of hours flapping on a cross suffering for our sins....he was hanged,his neck probably broke instantly,he didnt suffer at all really.

The bible says he was hanged from a tree so it must be true

Hanging was a disgrace in the eyes of their culture, so hanging on a tree (ie a cross) was another form of mockery or ridicule)

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
One cannot prove for definite whether Jesus was or was not the Son of God. Jesus existed. My faith has been tested on many occasions but I've always maintained that certain unexplainable deep down feeling of warmth and happiness. Non believers my mock but I suggest that they ask themselves, if it is true where does that leave me come judgement day?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Non believers my mock but I suggest that they ask themselves, if it is true where does that leave me come judgement day?

non-believers dont believe there will be a judgment day. and if there is a just and benevolent god, he'll be judging people on their deeds not on their devotion to religion.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
One cannot prove for definite whether Jesus was or was not the Son of God. Jesus existed. My faith has been tested on many occasions but I've always maintained that certain unexplainable deep down feeling of warmth and happiness. Non believers my mock but I suggest that they ask themselves, if it is true where does that leave me come judgement day?

Worth a watch IMO and would be interested to read your response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here