Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How emotional/wound up/stressed do you get during a game?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As much as I love him, CH makes this worse. You can set your watch by a CH defensive substitution under these circumstances leading to the inevitable flailing around on the edge of our box for 15 minutes. They could power a City on the ensuing heart rate explosion between us all during that period!
I have seen it done. 2-0 down at 83 minutes and Steve Sidwell scored two goals in the last 10 minutes to draw with Burnley.
Were you around to see Eric Potts do that and win a game for us having come on as sub in the final few minutes? Or for that matter the game where we beat Pompey 2-1 only scoring our goals right at the end after their fans were celebrating a 1 nil victory?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's all about being caught in the moment. Couple of lads sit near me. They're from Crawley. Nice blokes. For 80 minutes of the game, they're up on their feet, giving vehement dog's abuse to the match officials, the opposition players and supporters and generally acting like the ultramost Ultras in Ultraland. Then on 80 minutes they switch the off button and GUMP for the Early Leaver Express, bless 'em :lolol:

Maybe it's to protect their blood pressure? :lolol:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
pandasad.gif

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Were you around to see Eric Potts do that and win a game for us having come on as sub in the final few minutes? Or for that matter the game where we beat Pompey 2-1 only scoring our goals right at the end after their fans were celebrating a 1 nil victory?

No, I was living in exile for those games.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Do they pay for the ticket too?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Listening on the radio is the worst.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fantastec, a sport technology company based at Surrey Research Park, are inviting Brighton & Hove Albion supporters to take part in a ground-breaking research study and test new technology that seeks to track and measure fan emotions during the game.

Volunteers wanted to wear ‘Fit bit / Apple watch’ type wearable devices during the games.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/march/take-part-in-a-fan-emotions-study/

I was roped into a similar study back in Withdean days by a student - I seem to recall the study was publicised to get volunteers either on NSC or the Mailing List. And nothing came of it.....my guess it it would be impossible to sift signal from noise unless data are time-matched to a video of the game. I know a few sports scientists. A bit like 'Socalist Worker' they are neither sportsmen nor scientists. Harsh....? :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When I'm nervous I get restless leg syndrome, and begin pumping my right leg FURIOUSLY. So naturally, when we're in the closing stages clinging on for dear life to a single goal lead, my leg is going 19 to the dozen, probably generating enough energy to power a small rural village.

Not so much of an issue at the Amex, but when we were at Withdean in those rickety seats, I would literally have half of my row in the south stand bouncing along to my frenzied leg spasms. I don't even know I'm doing it half the time.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If you read the link, no, but you do get £15 for the club shop for each game.

Not a bad little deal really.
Although, as others have said, I think I'd break their machine. My Mrs leaves the room when we're playing on TV, she says I make her nervous as I'm so animated and shouty.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Away I'm a monster

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To answer the actual OP question, it depends. Right now I am almost chilled. At the start of the season at game time my gastric juices are slowly eating through my abdomen, like I have a predator growing, and the fear doesm't go away until there are fewer minutes left than we have goals to the good. If we are already behind then I lose the will to live. As the season progresses it is all about how much we have to gain or lose. Last season it was always pretty nailed on, and we won a lot so it was fun. I actually started to take note of the way we played, and that, rather than just whether we won. This season it has been a bit more fraught. But this means that the level of emotion during the Arse game was so high I almost thought I'd had a religious epiphany, and seriously thought about not leaving on 85 minutes. I am nearly 60. All I would say to the kids on here (the under 40s - ha ha) is that it gets worse, not better, as you get older. That is partly due to the prospect of imminent death and the likelihood of missing out on some wonder, like a cup win. It could happen. Blimey, that thought just shot my heart rate up to about 120, meaning the more I think about what I may miss if I have a coronary, the more likely it is the old ticker will eruct :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not a bad little deal really.
Although, as others have said, I think I'd break their machine. My Mrs leaves the room when we're playing on TV, she says I make her nervous as I'm so animated and shouty.

If I watch an away game on tv, I'm sure the whole street hears when we score a goal. Our two cats are terrified!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think I'd make their device explode. I look forward to the game all week but if we go a goal up I just want it to end as quickly as possible.
That's certainly the case so far this season. It was also for some of last season, but there were games when we were so good I wasn't worried and after going a goal up I simply looked forward to the next. That does feel like a long time ago though.

How emotional/wound up/stressed do you get during a game?
Very.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My level of hysteria is normally dependent upon how good or bad the ref is.

A sh1t ref will normally get me f'ing and c'ing after 2 or 3 bad decisions.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I decided at the start of this season to just try and enjoy it come what may.
After 700 games of stress and more lows than highs, and all that went with the Soldstone, Kent and ‘The’ Withdean, we had made it to the top table – and it might be the only time we’d be there.

To this end, by and large I’ve remained balanced and on an even keel all year, which is some significant change to how rollercoastery I have always been during many of those aforementioned matches!

That said, coming from a largely Tottenham loving family the next generation up, beating Arsenal gave me immense joy!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes re Eric Potts, didn’t he do it in successive home games vs Sunderland 0-2 down and Millwall 0-1 down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Listening on the radio is the worst.

Although it has to be said that JC and WA have a way of calming the nerves by (in the case of JC) using the tone of his voice to convey the fact that the danger of an opposition attack has ebbed, or is ebbing, away. That said, there is still a lot of room-pacing and white knuckles on my part, followed by anger and frustration if we DO concede. Mrs Saladpack has learned over many years to let me retreat to the Cave of Despair and emerge into the sunlight in my own good time!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here