Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story Teaser Trailer

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
thumbs up from me - cracking film.

What really worked was the fact the film was essentially a stand alone film (even though it sits between others). It wasn't another one where they are trying to sell possible franchise options at you for most of the time. The fact that the <MOD EDIT: Spoiler *******> there is genuine tension, the acting and writing seemed top notch.

Big marker set for the future films.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Much better film than I was expecting, really enjoyed it. Glad it didn't feel the need to settle into the standard Star Wars film structure.

Only small bugbear was why they felt the need to explain that there is a power source for lightsabers, it had a sniff of the whole midichlorians thing in the Phantom Menace. Why the need to put science behind these things? Is there some implication here that a Jedi will need to plug their lightsaber into a charger at some point, or that the batteries will need to be replaced?! Its magic, just let it be!

See I thought that was great!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I personally think it's a shame the second trio of films (1 2 3) have already been done, as with Disney on-board they would have been great.
But part of the reason the last two films have been good is because they've learnt from the mistakes of the prequels.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Someone else I know posited the idea of them redoing (or 'rebooting' - bleurgh) the original trilogy and my original response was incredulity, but I suppose it's entirely possible.

And while I adored R1, and cannot wait for Ep8, I'm a bit wary of the Han Solo one. Firstly I'm struggling to envisage a Solo not played by Harrison Ford. But also I really don't want to see every single piece of his backstory played out in front of my eyes. Winning the Millennium Falcon in a card game, doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, getting into Jabba's pocket etc.

Surely some of this is better left to our imaginations, or is that me being completely naive in the face of another billion dollars for Disney?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm struggling to envisage a Solo not played by Harrison Ford
Likewise.

But also I really don't want to see every single piece of his backstory played out in front of my eyes. Winning the Millennium Falcon in a card game, doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs
Agreed. You can picture the scene, and it finishes with the actors looking at the camera and admin ticking another one off the checklist.
getting into Jabba's pocket etc.
That one might not be so bad, it's a whole story.

Surely some of this is better left to our imaginations, or is that me being completely naive in the face of another billion dollars for Disney?
Making money is partly down to doing what the fans want, so if we don't want it, what's the point. They've got 8 and 9 to do, and more spin offs like Rogue One. I expect a lot of fans would be happy with the prequels being redone. So plenty for them to do before they mess things up.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Someone else I know posited the idea of them redoing (or 'rebooting' - bleurgh) the original trilogy and my original response was incredulity, but I suppose it's entirely possible.

And while I adored R1, and cannot wait for Ep8, I'm a bit wary of the Han Solo one. Firstly I'm struggling to envisage a Solo not played by Harrison Ford. But also I really don't want to see every single piece of his backstory played out in front of my eyes. Winning the Millennium Falcon in a card game, doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, getting into Jabba's pocket etc.

I could see the Han Solo story becoming a protracted box set type of affair. Disney may even try that with Boba Fett.

Thing is, the back story and beyond of every character has already been played out for the geeks within the expanded universe. Disney have loads of things they can use to rake in more money from the franchise.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Seen it twice. If you get the chance try and get to the IMAX in 3D..... The cinematography looks beautiful on the big screen but the space battle is something else entirely

This, 100%. It had the feel of the attack on the Death Star and they nailed the rebel forces style perfectly without it making it feel like a rerun. It just made sense and it looked AMAZING in 3D on the massive screen.

It's better than TFA for me by quite a margin but I'll have to watch both again, and again, and again.... just to make sure.

It does feel good to get our Star Wars back doesn't it?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Thanks for all the heads up regarding taking kids to the film, especially [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]. But I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Firstly it didn't feel like a Star Wars film without the John Williams music, although I understand the need to separate this film from the main narrative. However excluding that, I thought the first half of the film swang around too many planets and the characters had no time to embed themselves in the story. So I didn't really care about the characters too much, I didn't like the Spanish lead guy, I found him difficult to follow and didn't have great dialog, and the Forrest Whiteker character wasn't believable to me. They should have used a character from episode 1-3 in my opinion, someone with background. However I did think the baddies were cool and the Vader parts immense, it begs the question why Vader wasn't involved more, he could have easily been the main villain. Seeing as he hasn't been on our screens for years apart from briefly in 2005, it would hardly be over exposure. Finally and most crucially, the film lacked humour, it took itself too seriously. The other Star Wars films have a bit of cheesy one liners and a bit of slapstick. Amongst all the fighting (of which there was less than I thought), it would have been good to have the odd lighter moment. The final 30 minutes are super. But I think there should have been more humour and more Vader. 6.5/10 for me.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for all the heads up regarding taking kids to the film, especially @triggar. But I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Firstly it didn't feel like a Star Wars film without the John Williams music, although I understand the need to separate this film from the main narrative. However excluding that, I thought the first half of the film swang around too many planets and the characters had no time to embed themselves in the story. So I didn't really care about the characters too much, I didn't like the Spanish lead guys, I found him difficult to follow, and the Forrest Whiteker character wasn't believe able to me. They should have used a character from episode 1-3 in my opinion, someone with background. However I did think the baddies were cool and the Vader parts immense, it begs the question why Vader wasn't involved more, he could have easily been the main villain. Seeing as he hasn't been on our screens for years apart from briefly in 2005, it would hardly be over exposure. Finally and most crucially, the film lacked humour, it took itself too seriously. The other Star Wars films have a bit of cheesy one liners and a bit of slapstick. Amongst all the fighting (of which there was less than I thought), it would have been good to have the odd lighter moment. The final 30 minutes are super. But I think there should have been more humour and more Vader. 6.5/10 for me.

Come on even before mentioning K-2SO the Chinese fella getting the bag was proper funny.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Superb. First class. By far the best star wars film since we started again. The Easter eggs. The simplicity of the plot. The shades of grey in the rebellion chractors. The final third is about as good as it gets.

Earlier in the thread I think it was [MENTION=318]Captain Sensible[/MENTION] who asked about kids. I took my 2 today and they loved it (8 and 5) although I'd health warn it probably the least kid friendly and is quite long so does depend on what yours are like. That said my youngest was more scared by TFA. All violence is of the Tom and Jerry variety and isn't comparable to Saving Private Ryan.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks for all the heads up regarding taking kids to the film, especially [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]. But I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Firstly it didn't feel like a Star Wars film without the John Williams music, although I understand the need to separate this film from the main narrative. However excluding that, I thought the first half of the film swang around too many planets and the characters had no time to embed themselves in the story. So I didn't really care about the characters too much, I didn't like the Spanish lead guy, I found him difficult to follow and didn't have great dialog, and the Forrest Whiteker character wasn't believable to me. They should have used a character from episode 1-3 in my opinion, someone with background. However I did think the baddies were cool and the Vader parts immense, it begs the question why Vader wasn't involved more, he could have easily been the main villain. Seeing as he hasn't been on our screens for years apart from briefly in 2005, it would hardly be over exposure. Finally and most crucially, the film lacked humour, it took itself too seriously. The other Star Wars films have a bit of cheesy one liners and a bit of slapstick. Amongst all the fighting (of which there was less than I thought), it would have been good to have the odd lighter moment. The final 30 minutes are super. But I think there should have been more humour and more Vader. 6.5/10 for me.

I agree, I was a little underwhelmed by it. Good film but it didn't really say Star Wars to me. Vader was great but very different to the Vader we meet at the beginning of A New Hope, which surely only takes place a few moments later.

I agree that he could have been the main villain in this one rather than being kept in his electronic stand up bubble bath while everything happens around him. Perhaps this is why he became a little more 'hands on' in the ensuing troubles.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Come on even before mentioning K-2SO the Chinese fella getting the bag was proper funny.
Few and far between though in my opinion. K2 was a good character but didn't have too many good lines, although he probably had the best. The blind monk fella was probably my favourite new character. I will see it again, but I thought it would be better. The Force Awakens obviously had more depth but it had funny moments throughout as do nearly all Star Wars films, this one just didn't hit those heights for me. Although some of the scenes are stunning, why the first 90minutes aren't anywhere near the last half hour and that's the point. The first 90 are so far behind the last 30 that it feels lopsided. The last half hour could have been set up so much better, a stronger storyline and more time developing characters would have helped the movie. TFA managed to introduce new characters that built depth, and I know the episodes have more time to develop a character but even spending a few more minutes on each of them would have benefitted. They've just missed a trick it, should have had more humour and more Vader. This is all just my opinion, but I'm glad the majority like it.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
This, 100%. It had the feel of the attack on the Death Star and they nailed the rebel forces style perfectly without it making it feel like a rerun. It just made sense and it looked AMAZING in 3D on the massive screen.

It's better than TFA for me by quite a margin but I'll have to watch both again, and again, and again.... just to make sure.

It does feel good to get our Star Wars back doesn't it?

Totally. It's a Star Wars film that's not gimmicky or aimed at kids.

I mean I enjoyed TFA a lot and BB8 is cool, but it's certainly a family film.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Saw Gerrera does have a highly evolved back story via Star Wars Rebels and I don't think you are meant to like Cassian Andor too much initially as his actions imply that the rebels aren't always good.

I get what you're saying about the first half, but I think if you think back to most ensemble films that always happens. On second viewing it slots together a lot better.

I thought the film was funny when it needed to be, but it's meant to be a war film.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Saw Gerrera does have a highly evolved back story via Star Wars Rebels and I don't think you are meant to like Cassian Andor too much initially as his actions imply that the rebels aren't always good.

I get what you're saying about the first half, but I think if you think back to most ensemble films that always happens. On second viewing it slots together a lot better.

I thought the film was funny when it needed to be, but it's meant to be a war film.

Just to add I didn't think it was a war film at all. There aren't many battles. The first hour spends lots of time swirling around from place to place without much going on. The war is in the last half an hour.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Just to add I didn't think it was a war film at all. There aren't many battles. The first hour spends lots of time swirling around from place to place without much going on. The war is in the last half an hour.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. I liked it and it looked amazing, but was expecting a bit more. The first hour and a bit just seemed a bit pointless. The actual stealing of the plans was far too rushed and there didn't seem to be much of a plan. Let's fly to the planet and basically fight our way in. It needed a bit more Ocean's 11/Band of Brothers-style espionage and camaraderie. There was also too much "fan service" that just became distracting. We don't need to see C3PO and R2D2, and those Cantina dudes, and Rogue Leader, and, dare I say it, Darth Vader. Even the big space battle seemed unnecessary. Focus on the story of a select group of Rebels stealing the Death Star plans. We know it's going to be dark, so make the audience care about whether these characters die or not, not needlessly shoe-horning in characters from the other films. Oh no, everyone with the weird names are dead, but hurray, nevermind here's a weird CGI Princess Leia. It was good, but not the Star Wars movie I was looking for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here