Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Liverpool Trains

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No problems going up Saturday all on time but the Virgin this morning had a fault so arrived back to London 45 minutes late. Got a later train than expect from Victoria and as long as we get our connection at Hampden Park will just be 30 minutes late home.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Journey was pretty decent except for a stupidly drunk 'cockney' scouser' on the 18:47 from Lime Street. Anyone else who was on that carriage would agree this was a bellend of the highest degree... Every slurred sentence started with a 'let me tell you something' or 'I'm a proper scouser me'. Thank you to the Albion fan who told him to jog on - he then proceeded to annoy the next carriage along :D

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Which is why I drive!

Drive up on Saturday was Ok apart from usual M25 sluggishness, driving back yesterday was slow for the first 90 mins or so but OK from M6 Toll onwards. Strolled back to the hotel in Bootle after the game to get the car, left about 5.45pm and was back in Burgess Hill before 10.30pm after a couple of short stops on the way back.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No problems going up Saturday all on time but the Virgin this morning had a fault so arrived back to London 45 minutes late. Got a later train than expect from Victoria and as long as we get our connection at Hampden Park will just be 30 minutes late home.

Yeah, I saw that at Lime St. I was on the 11.04 and changed at Crewe for the London train. All good ... apart from the fact that the carriage I was booked on didn't exist. Fortunately, I did find a seat and then discovered the wi-fi wasn't working - so much for my plans to work on the train (it wasn't working on the way up either).

A good weekend away though ...despite the result. Can't recall me less bothered about a 4-0 spanking.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
You’re going to regret asking me how my experience on the trains was….!

Because of engineering works, the only way I could get to my booked train from Euston was to cycle from LA to Ford and catch the 05:58 to Pulborough. That was where the fun began. The rail replacement bus driver didn’t have a clue where he was going, reversing up country lanes, taking wrong turnings and skipping Christ’s Hospital completely. I had to sit up front and talk him through the last bit from Crawley to Three Bridges. Managed to get a message to Southern, who promised to hold the train – turned out to be unnecessary as the connecting service was late anyway. Got to Euston with about 8 minutes to spare. Reservations hadn’t been loaded onto the system, so had to turf people out of our seats. Trip to Lime Street was uneventful, although I also got riled by the sheer number of plastic Scousers/Mancs. Hoped that was the end of the fun and games….but not to be.

Scrambled onto the 18:47 out of Lime Street, which was rammed as they had let too many people on without reservations. Naturally someone was in our seats so we had to turf people out again. Arrived late into Euston, so was left with only one option to get back to Ford. Train out of Victoria crawled into Three Bridges late and the station staff negated to hold the (last) replacement bus to Pulborough which left three minutes before our train got in. Dozens of stranded people, station staff absolutely useless. Resorted to social media (funny how often that gets a response) after which someone else appeared and told us to join a bus to Horsham, where onward travel would be arranged for us. Arrived at Horsham after midnight. Bit of negotiation between various station staff, resulted in cabs being ordered. These took nearly an hour to arrive as Southern can only use certain cab firms and ours had to come from Crawley, despite there being a cab rank outside the station. Taxi driver barely spoke any English and had Bangla music blaring at full volume all the way back to Ford (ca. 01:30). Cycled home in pitch darkness, got in just before 2am. Overall I was out of the house for 21 hours.

You did ask.

Oh, and we got spanked 4-0.

You'd do it all again,you know you would.

el punal

I must have struck lucky. Caught 07.03 train from Southampton Parkway to Waterloo then onto Euston for the 10.15 to Lime Street with seats booked and lots of booze! Return journey was Northern train from Lime Street to Manchester Airport then a one hour flight back to Southampton so missed the train carnage going south.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015

I was on that train :wave:. Quite pleased with the delay as it means I get half the cost of the ticket back.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was on that train :wave:. Quite pleased with the delay as it means I get half the cost of the ticket back.

Yep, although I was a bit disappointed we stayed the same 48 minutes from Crewe to London, just 12 minutes away from a full refund.

theboybilly

Yeah, I saw that at Lime St. I was on the 11.04 and changed at Crewe for the London train. All good ... apart from the fact that the carriage I was booked on didn't exist. Fortunately, I did find a seat and then discovered the wi-fi wasn't working - so much for my plans to work on the train (it wasn't working on the way up either).

A good weekend away though ...despite the result. Can't recall me less bothered about a 4-0 spanking.

Unbelievably the Gatwick Express wi-fi was so much better than the non-existent Virgin offering on the way home today. I couldnt even get a 4g signal until Wembley Central. Useless

Jan 30, 2008
Journey was pretty decent except for a stupidly drunk 'cockney' scouser' on the 18:47 from Lime Street. Anyone else who was on that carriage would agree this was a bellend of the highest degree... Every slurred sentence started with a 'let me tell you something' or 'I'm a proper scouser me'. Thank you to the Albion fan who told him to jog on - he then proceeded to annoy the next carriage along :D
www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yyrgd
regards
DR

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think I was lucky. 17-47 from Lime St left on time. Slight delay at Crewe but managed to catch up time wise later on. A sprint to the tubes and got the 20-32 train Victoria to Brighton arriving 21-28 ish.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

As someone who regularly has to jump on a Virgin in the morning I can assure you it almost never works. When it does it's too slow to use for anything work-like apart from email. I hope that at least you didn't pay. You can get a free code daily from the Virgin Red app that works in steerage.

Totally this for us too. Brilliant weekend that would have been ruined by 90 minutes of football, had I been remotely bothered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here