Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have just spoken to my brother who due to holidays was seeing the team for the frst time this season and asked his initial view.

Not impressed with Stockdale at fault for at least 1 goal. The defence dont know what they are supposed to be doing and Calderon was very weak, slow and caught out of position too often if we are to continue this system we need a quick right back. Created a number of chances and will score goals but will give away more than we score.

Seems much like my view so far this season.

Calderon is not good enough, been saying it for two seasons and he's not going to get better. Not a popular view but endeavour and good looks don't cut it on the field in The Championship. Bruno is marginally better as a full back but I prefer him in midfield. I think we need a quality loan young fit RB in this window. Especially if the FBs are expected to wait on the half way line and bomb up and down the pitch

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Calderon is not good enough, been saying it for two seasons and he's not going to get better. Not a popular view but endeavour and good looks don't cut it on the field in The Championship. Bruno is marginally better as a full back but I prefer him in midfield. I think we need a quality loan young fit RB in this window. Especially if the FBs are expected to wait on the half way line and bomb up and down the pitch

We must be watching a different team today then. I though Calderon was excellent. His touch and control on some of the lofted passes he received was exquisite. We all know he's not going to repeatedly make the byline to whip crosses in like a guy 10 years younger but I thought he offered plenty to warrant a place in the side.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We must be watching a different team today then. I though Calderon was excellent. His touch and control on some of the lofted passes he received was exquisite. We all know he's not going to repeatedly make the byline to whip crosses in like a guy 10 years younger but I thought he offered plenty to warrant a place in the side.

Sorry, this opinion is not based on today's game as I wasn't there. I just think he is too slow and that is enough to make him not good enough at this level. I totally accept that I am in the minority with this opinion. He is a great squad player and I'm sure he's an inspiration around the team but he should not be first choice, again IMO.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Sorry, this opinion is not based on today's game as I wasn't there. I just think he is too slow and that is enough to make him not good enough at this level. I totally accept that I am in the minority with this opinion. He is a great squad player and I'm sure he's an inspiration around the team but he should not be first choice, again IMO.

Agreed his speed will be a weakness against some teams. Judging on today's performance though I was more disappointed with Joe Bennett if we want to reviews full backs - I thought he was excellent on his debut at the Amex but I felt he was very disappointing today. He was repeatedly stripped by Brentfords winger for pace to the point he'll have nightmares tonight...Bennett just didn't get into the game at all today.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Agreed his speed will be a weakness against some teams. Judging on today's performance though I was more disappointed with Joe Bennett if we want to reviews full backs - I thought he was excellent on his debut at the Amex but I felt he was very disappointing today. He was repeatedly stripped by Brentfords winger for pace to the point he'll have nightmares tonight...Bennett just didn't get into the game at all today.

Gardner seemed to spend more time in the natural left back position than Bennett

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Re KLL: Fantastic impact player but it really pisses me off when he does his start/ stop/ start move. He has the pace to breeze past defenders so why stop in the first place?
Because actually, Kaz doesn't have the pace to breeze past defenders. He's not that quick. However, he's like a bullet from a standing start, so he gets the defenders flat footed before he hits the button.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Because actually, Kaz doesn't have the pace to breeze past defenders. He's not that quick. However, he's like a bullet from a standing start, so he gets the defenders flat footed before he hits the button.

That may have worked a few seasons ago but now most defenders know exactly what to expect and act accordingly. Needs to either use his pace to beat defenders, and ok he might not be that quick but he will be quicker than most of defenders he will face in this league, or he needs to get a few new tricks up his sleeve.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Or do the full backs need to stop bombing forward every time we have the ball? There is a line between attacking and going gun-ho at all times.

They provide the width in Sami's system. And whilst I agree not every attack needs to be gun-ho, when they do get forward the midfield three (Holla, Crofts and Gardner) need to be prepared to do their defensive duties which at the moment they are not.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
They provide the width in Sami's system. And whilst I agree not every attack needs to be gun-ho, when they do get forward the midfield three (Holla, Crofts and Gardner) need to be prepared to do their defensive duties which at the moment they are not.

All well and good in theory but we saw today what happens when you have a central midfielder against a winger, it's not pretty. Also limits the midfielders in a big way, how many times did crofts or Gardner get in the Brentford box (bar set pieces).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Gardner and Bennett were shocking today. Would rather we played our own players if this is all they have to offer.
It just shows how opinions differ as my brother thought that Gardner and Bennett did ok and that Calderon was the weak link and main cause of our defeat.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just got in. Best bit of today- two and a half hours in The Griffin Pub and a decent burger for just £3. As for the match- well it looks like it has all been said. What was most noticeable was that there was no mass exit of fans from either team around the 80 minute mark. I know its a smaller ground and therefore less of a crowd and parking is literally outside but still refreshing to see.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Gardner and Bennett were shocking today. Would rather we played our own players if this is all they have to offer.

Chicksen must be rubbing his hands - probably will eat my words later, but what i have seen of bennett for the last six games no better than chicksen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't know how to feel after today. Great atmosphere in the old school terrace, good game for a neutral but a few worrying things for us. Caldy was ok I thought, as was Gardner but Dunk had a bit of a mare (accepted after recent decent performances) and Sami was right to take him off, Bennett was very poor and God knows what Tex was doing. Great goal from Holla. Despite the defeat, I'd prefer a season of games like this and a mid-table finish than week after week of boring dross, scraping into the playoffs and then getting humiliated.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here