Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Getting into Man United

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Is anybody else aware of the restrictions of what you can't take into Old Trafford. It seems they have more rules than any other place I have visited in the world including football grounds. It appears that woman cannot even take a handbag but only a clutch bag. Not only do they appear to ban laptops but you cannot take in computer tablets. The info is on their FAQ page.
Surely a lot of away supports have a small tablet or mini IPad as part of their travelling entertainment system. So what happens if you turn up with one. Why are they so different from any other venue?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because they are the number 1 club in the uk and probably in the world and following the Paris attacks have received many threats as they are seen as a huge profile.

The ******** hit the Manchester arena full of young girls...wouldn't it be a coup to attack the main football stadium?

That is why.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's a long day. What's the rule on phone chargers (the small bricks, not the cable and plug)?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It's not all bad though: half & half scarves are positively welcomed.

So that's something to be cheerful about.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Is anybody else aware of the restrictions of what you can't take into Old Trafford. It seems they have more rules than any other place I have visited in the world including football grounds. It appears that woman cannot even take a handbag but only a clutch bag. Not only do they appear to ban laptops but you cannot take in computer tablets. The info is on their FAQ page.
Surely a lot of away supports have a small tablet or mini IPad as part of their travelling entertainment system. So what happens if you turn up with one. Why are they so different from any other venue?
You want to try getting in to an NFL game - even the ones over here have many rules.

That said I prefer to be safe than take a bag (which really should have nothing in it anyway) and as others have said United are one of the highest profile teams in the world in all sports.

As others mentioned a coat with decent pockets would do the trick I suspect - or get a phone that can last 2 days even when listening to podcasts to Manchester and back. Other than that when you buy your tins get a 10p bag and throw it away with the final can

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's a long day. What's the rule on phone chargers (the small bricks, not the cable and plug)?

Entry to the Stadium will be refused with any other articles deemed dangerous, hazardous or that compromise public health and safety.

Your guess as to whether a phone charger can be dangerous, although given the recent City CL game in Napoli where belts were banned, it would seem that anything could be deemed to be dangerous.
So no loose change, mobile phones, keys, well just about everything really

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Pardon my ignorance but why is a phone charger a threat? I know Li-on cells can explode if short circuited but that seems a bit extreme

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You can get in with a set of jump leads so long as you don't try to start something.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I can understand their caution but have never been to a venue where a woman could not take her handbag. I don't know many that go out for the day with a clutch bag. I started this thread so as our fans would know what to expect. I now understand that they have lock boxes in the carparks but they say to allow TWO HOURS to get in if you have any outsize items and to ev3en allow ONE HOUR to get searched.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pardon my ignorance but why is a phone charger a threat? I know Li-on cells can explode if short circuited but that seems a bit extreme

I'm not suggesting it is a threat, but the security is clearly at a very high level.

Anyway, this has just reminded me I've not booked my train yet. I best do that before worrying about anything else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not suggesting it is a threat, but the security is clearly at a very high level.

Anyway, this has just reminded me I've not booked my train yet. I best do that before worrying about anything else.

You might worry about the train price booking this late in the day

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sometimes I'm glad that I don't get to football matches very much any more. I know security is important, but all this buy in advance, turn up with identity, don't take anything to entertain you on a long train journey..........sigh! The world's changing, I'm too old to! Bring on NSC and BBC text commentary!
First Albion match I went to, I had a duffle bag on me with my football kit in it (I bunked off the coach on the way back from a school match) - God knows what sort of ruckus that would cause today!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here