Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO US-based Albion fans: NBC's Sports Gold package

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
In previous seasons ALL Premier League games have been available to cable/satellite subscribers over here, but that is changing for the 2017-18 season. 130 games (probably including a fair number of Albion matches) will only be available to subscribers of NBC's "Sports Gold" Premier League Pass (cost $49.99). It looks as though there will be a fair amount of other on demand content as well - details here PREMIER LEAGUE PASS.

Of course, I'm sure there will be online streams of these matches available so if you are happy to bypass official channels you can save yourself 50 bucks.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Crap! If my friends in Chicago could have watched it for free on telly they would have become Albion fans. I'll see if I can get them to view the streams.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for the heads up AZ Gull. For the sake of 50 bucks I'll subscribe even though I watched most of the Championship games on BeIn Sport in one of the sports bars in NYC and I'm guessing all the pubs in NYC that show NBC Prem games will pay the $50. I'll probably only watch the 12.30 (7.30 am East Coast) matches at home, as I normally don't feel like a beer that early!

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Gracias Senor AZ, as always the font of knowledge for us living in the modern day Trumpton.

Having tried, painfully, to enjoy the "Seagulls TV" for the warm up games, I will happily hand over $50 for the pleasure of guaranteed coverage.

Also, after browsing your link, it is very strange to think that "Track and Field" fans will happily pay $70 for the pleasure of watching a good hammer throw, yet cycling is only $40...everyday this interesting, yet very confusing country delivers something new.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Gracias Senor AZ, as always the font of knowledge for us living in the modern day Trumpton.

Having tried, painfully, to enjoy the "Seagulls TV" for the warm up games, I will happily hand over $50 for the pleasure of guaranteed coverage.

Also, after browsing your link, it is very strange to think that "Track and Field" fans will happily pay $70 for the pleasure of watching a good hammer throw, yet cycling is only $40...everyday this interesting, yet very confusing country delivers something new.

Americans want to see if anyone gets accidentally hit by the hammer.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Ive been in New Zealand for 9 months now but my IPTV has pretty much all the uk sports and also the US and Canadian sports channels . Does this mean that I should be able to watch every match ? if I can be bothered to get up !

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Thanks for the heads up AZ Gull. For the sake of 50 bucks I'll subscribe even though I watched most of the Championship games on BeIn Sport in one of the sports bars in NYC and I'm guessing all the pubs in NYC that show NBC Prem games will pay the $50. I'll probably only watch the 12.30 (7.30 am East Coast) matches at home, as I normally don't feel like a beer that early!
i reackon you should have enough Brighton Fans in N/Y to form branch surpporters club you need ten or more.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Am I right in thinking that I will still be able to watch all of the PL games on NBC as part of my cable package?

No, you are not.

As I understand it, that is what this is all about - these 130 games will no longer be shown on any of the NBC channels or online as part of existing subscriptions - you will have to pay the $49.99 to watch these games.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
It's basically a way to cover those additional NBCsports channels for when you aren't one of the "main" games.

Whether you have cable or not, the $50 is a necessary purchase. My friends in the bar scene are checking to see how it impacts them. Their fees will obviously be different.

It's actually a big setback in the adoption of soccer over here. Having all the games on with your cable package allowed you to pick a "non-fashionable" premier league team and watch all their games.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have family who live in connecticut. Could they subscribe for me and I then use the log in to watch over here or will it be blocked as the log in will,be outside the US? Would a vpn allow me to watch? Just curious like....

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have family who live in connecticut. Could they subscribe for me and I then use the log in to watch over here or will it be blocked as the log in will,be outside the US? Would a vpn allow me to watch? Just curious like....

I honestly don't know enough about how these things work to be able to answer this; anyone else?

I intend to subscribe, and I would be very disappointed if, on a visit back to England, I wasn't able to log in and view a product that I had paid for, so I am assuming what you suggest would be an option for you.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I have just spoken to DIRECTV and they assure me that the only football, "soccer" (their word not mine) that they charge extra for is MLS.
The agent checked the NBC website and suggested that this would only be required if you wanted to stream the games over t'interweb.
If I recall on match day, they tend to screen various games around NBC owned channels and an odd one via the NBCSN website. All thats need to access that website is a current subscription to your authorized Cable/Sat provider.
Will find out next week if she was correct.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have just spoken to DIRECTV and they assure me that the only football, "soccer" (their word not mine) that they charge extra for is MLS.
The agent checked the NBC website and suggested that this would only be required if you wanted to stream the games over t'interweb.
If I recall on match day, they tend to screen various games around NBC owned channels and an odd one via the NBCSN website. All thats need to access that website is a current subscription to your authorized Cable/Sat provider.
Will find out next week if she was correct.

She is wrong. The point is, DIRECTV won't be charging extra for these games - because they won't be available via your cable/satellite provider.

Anyway, as you say, you will find out next week. Albion's game against Man City is being shown on NBC so you'll get to see that okay. However, the 3 games shown below (Saints v Swansea, Palace v Huddersfield and WBA v Bournemouth) will all only be available via the new Sports Gold subscription. If you can't find any of these via your DIRECTV service (and you won't) then you won't be able to see Albion's matches at Leicester City and Watford over the next couple of weeks (without ponying up your $50).

1234.jpg

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Having made a pact with the devil in Feb that I'd move to the US if we were promoted, I think it is only right that NSC users start a fund for my North Carolina soccerball watching. I did it for all of us after all.

Btw is that $50 per game??

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here