Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trains for the QPR match

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Something is definitely up at Southern. They've had staff shortages for months. Working from home today luckily enough. That said, like [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] the trains have only ever let me down once getting to a game, though that was Forest. Because of that experience our group left earlier last Friday.

I expect it will take [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION] six hours again, presumably going via the discontinued Bramber branch line.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The problem on friday was due to the cancellation of trains. If the usual service was running, even with the short formation trains thre should have been no problem. Normally I leave work at five get to brighton around 6.40ish and then either end up on the 51,59 or the one just after 7 which gets me in before the game.

My issue with southern is that they know they are short staffed, and yet have no contingency plans for when they know there will be a heavy demand for services. I don't expect them to lay on extra trains, I know they can't do that. I do however expect them to have enough staff to fulfill the published timetable at peak times. They clearly do not, and I hope the club put in a delay repay for for friday.

WFH for me today though, I am taking no chances.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Seeing the club's warning to get to the ground early tonight, and their announcement about the trains post-Fulham, they seem to be aware of the issue at least. But how many of us choose to get to the game as late as possible? To make a night game, I have to get permission to leave work an hour early and then take my chances with Southern, a company that should be stripped of its franchise for its incompetence on a daily basis, let alone for Albion games. I'd love to get there early but the more games that are played on midweek nights, the more times I'm going to have difficulty doing so.

Short of booking a half day for every evening game (permission for which depends on other people's holiday dates at work, and which can no longer reliably be done when the fixtures come out to get in first in any case), what else would they have those of us coming down from London do?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Friday afternoon/evening involved a mini-pub crawl of the Albert, Lord Nelson, North Laine Brewhouse, BrewDog and Fountain Head before we went to the Station. We got there around 6:35, which should have been ample time, but it soon became apparent it wasn't going to be.

Tonight will be all about The Cyclist so we can keep a close eye on things.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Let's hope the P&R buses from Mill Road work better than Friday , actually for most night matches this season they have not been good compared to previous seasons , not sure what is going on but there is just not enough buses to the Amex . it's not bad going back though

Further heads-up for tonight: Brighton Races is on today (first race 4.50, last race 7.50). Would imagine there will be some kind of pre-match impact on the Racecourse Park and Ride.

Edit: Just seen the other thread. No impact apparently...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ride-for-QPR-potential-clash-with-horseracing

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Further heads-up for tonight: Brighton Races is on today (first race 4.50, last race 7.50). Would imagine there will be some kind of pre-match impact on the Racecourse Park and Ride.

Edit: Just seen the other thread. No impact apparently...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ride-for-QPR-potential-clash-with-horseracing

It has to have impact with traffic queuing at Wilson's Ave lights for each race.
Maybe no impact on parking spaces but IMHO traffic flow will be a problem

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Mithras was full early on Friday. I'm leaving home 30 minutes earlier today to ensure a smooth journey. May involve an extra pint but I'm with my Mum tonight so she'll make me behave.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
After reading here about the balls up Friday night, combined with the balls up trying to get home from London last night, I begged and begged and have somehow managed to blag a WFH today. I simply do not have enough faith in Southern to get me from Victoria to Falmer in time for an evening kick off anymore.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Something is definitely up at Southern. They've had staff shortages for months. Working from home today luckily enough. That said, like [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] the trains have only ever let me down once getting to a game, though that was Forest. Because of that experience our group left earlier last Friday.

I expect it will take [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION] six hours again, presumably going via the discontinued Bramber branch line.

Last week they emailed all Conductors telling them their jobs are no more and they would have to reapply for a new role 'On Board Supervisor' on worse conditions, Southern are now suing ASLEF over the 12 car DOO on Gatwick Express not to say the way they have p*ssed off all the ticket office staff with threatening their jobs too.

The problem is that the railway is an industry run by co-operation and unfortunately that has now gone, so where a driver in the past might hot foot it over to Platform 8 to get a football train out thus allowing the next train in and so on now he would take his break etc to the letter of the law and it doesn't take much as you know for the service to then fall apart.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
After reading here about the balls up Friday night, combined with the balls up trying to get home from London last night, I begged and begged and have somehow managed to blag a WFH today. I simply do not have enough faith in Southern to get me from Victoria to Falmer in time for an evening kick off anymore.
Really?

In the whole time we've been at the AMEX I've only been impacted once for evening games from London.

The 5.22 to Lewes works like a charm and then there's never any probs from Lewes

I've never had problems getting back to London ....

(Famous last words)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Really?

In the whole time we've been at the AMEX I've only been impacted once for evening games from London.

The 5.22 to Lewes works like a charm and then there's never any probs from Lewes

I've never had problems getting back to London ....

(Famous last words)

I'm a bit later than that though. At 5.22 I am still on the tube from Tottenham Hale to Victoria. If I'm lucky I can sometimes make the 5.45 Gatwick Express

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
With regards the Park and Ride @ The Racehill I don't think the race meet will affect the number of spaces available but surely the traffic getting there is going to be pretty mad? Top of Wilsons Avenue will be closed off for races and Falmer Avenue is always congested with football traffic at the best of times.

Giving serious consideration to parking on Bexhill Road in Woodingdean and walking it. Anyone done this?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Seeing the club's warning to get to the ground early tonight, and their announcement about the trains post-Fulham, they seem to be aware of the issue at least. But how many of us choose to get to the game as late as possible? To make a night game, I have to get permission to leave work an hour early and then take my chances with Southern, a company that should be stripped of its franchise for its incompetence on a daily basis, let alone for Albion games. I'd love to get there early but the more games that are played on midweek nights, the more times I'm going to have difficulty doing so.

Short of booking a half day for every evening game (permission for which depends on other people's holiday dates at work, and which can no longer reliably be done when the fixtures come out to get in first in any case), what else would they have those of us coming down from London do?

A predicament many of us out of Sussex seagulls face. We end up missing games and money because we have to have a season ticket. It's a lose lose. And still people make excuses for the train operator. Who I remind everyone WE PAY FOR A SERVICE!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
With regards the Park and Ride @ The Racehill I don't think the race meet will affect the number of spaces available but surely the traffic getting there is going to be pretty mad? Top of Wilsons Avenue will be closed off for races and Falmer Avenue is always congested with football traffic at the best of times.

Giving serious consideration to parking on Bexhill Road in Woodingdean and walking it. Anyone done this?

Thank you for the heads up. I had no idea this was happening.

I will still do the P and R, though. I'll just approach it by driving to Rock Gardens and then up Pankhurst Avenue from Queens Park Road.

It's a nice walk from Bexhill Road when it's sunny and calm. Less nice on the way back in the dark, up the hill. It'll take you twice as long.

EDIT: twice as long as the P and R, that is.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
On a matchday i get the 5.30 Gatwick Express to Brighton and have time for a drink by the station before getting a train onto Falmer.

Only once have i had an issue making it on time which was due to a 'one under' (famous last words!)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

It's a pleasant enough walk. The footpath has made a difference. It's still a bit of an effort after dark but not awful

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
It's a pleasant enough walk. The footpath has made a difference. It's still a bit of an effort after dark but not awful

The last few games I've ended up queuing for ages for the park and ride after the game. ****ing hate queuing so I would rather be walking because at least then I am actually moving.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Last week they emailed all Conductors telling them their jobs are no more and they would have to reapply for a new role 'On Board Supervisor' on worse conditions, Southern are now suing ASLEF over the 12 car DOO on Gatwick Express not to say the way they have p*ssed off all the ticket office staff with threatening their jobs too.

The problem is that the railway is an industry run by co-operation and unfortunately that has now gone, so where a driver in the past might hot foot it over to Platform 8 to get a football train out thus allowing the next train in and so on now he would take his break etc to the letter of the law and it doesn't take much as you know for the service to then fall apart.

Thanks. I thought my opinion of Southern's management couldn't get much lower but I think it just has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here