Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****** The Official January Transfer Window Thread *******

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Let's hope that the recent wins haven't lulled the board into a false sense of security. We still need at least a couple of high quality signings to ensure we don't go down.

Stumpy Tim

I would say we are 2 players short of being a good team somebody to put the ball in the net and a creative attacking midfielder in the vane of Chippy or Dodge.

Chippy & Dodge were excellent players for us, but creative they weren't. Back then our tactic was to put three terriers in the middle, and give the ball to Zamora. Simple but effective.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm wondering if we'll do much business, if any at all. I think the squad is capable of surviving but the play offs are too distant, I could see Tony holding back the funds and Hughton having until the summer to assess the squad and see what he needs/wants.

I just hope our board aren't as complacent as you appear to be. Would be a big mistake.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Chippy & Dodge were excellent players for us, but creative they weren't. Back then our tactic was to put three terriers in the middle, and give the ball to Zamora. Simple but effective.

A little harsh on Chippy, who was capable of an excellent pass and had a good shot on him too. Not quite of the calibre of Case or Wilson, but as all action, tough tackling, passing and shooting midfielders go, he is one of my all time favourites.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
According to a few twitter accounts, we are after Rotherham midfielder Ben Pringle.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
So if Clough the younger is waiting for us to find a striker to better the chances of Chris O'Grady going back to Sheffield,

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/9635715/clough-waiting-on-ogrady-deal

it at least means we're probably shopping for a striker. I suspect League one top scorers arn't on the list this time, near retirement premier strikers seem to be back in vogue in some Championship teams, but pace and fitness required to finish the season. We shall see. I didn't like what I saw of O'Grady under Sami, but he then seemed invigorated and confident recently....maybe because he knew he'd be going back up North. I feel confident Hughton will make the right call.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
A little harsh on Chippy, who was capable of an excellent pass and had a good shot on him too. Not quite of the calibre of Case or Wilson, but as all action, tough tackling, passing and shooting midfielders go, he is one of my all time favourites.

However he was actually faster making a sliding tackle than he was at full sprint. Will always remember his Free-Kick at Spurs.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Palace have signed Sanogo from Arsenal on loan, a pretty decent bit of business and one that might just give them that bit of extra firepower up front to keep them up! Gutted about that.

Edit ** Didn't see someone posted this earlier.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Palace have signed Sanogo from Arsenal on loan, a pretty decent bit of business and one that might just give them that bit of extra firepower up front to keep them up! Gutted about that.

Glenn Murray pushed further down the pecking order. Will we address the error we made I wonder.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

but also opens up the possibility that FFS might be avaiable

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Glenn Murray pushed further down the pecking order. Will we address the error we made I wonder.

but also opens up the possibility that FFS might be avaiable

He's already played for 2 clubs this season as a permanent or half season loan. This means he can only be signed by Reading, stay at Palace, or go out on a 93-day 'loan window' loan.

So, for us no chance of signing him, unless it is as a loan in the loan window.

No point in mentioning him again until the '****** The Official February Loan Window Thread. ******' in 3 weeks time. :lolol:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He's already played for 2 clubs this season as a permanent or half season loan. This means he can only be signed by Reading, stay at Palace, or go out on a 93-day 'loan window' loan.

So, for us no chance of signing him, unless it is as a loan in the loan window.

ideal to look at then sign when the time comes

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
How did Darren Bent sign on loan to Derby for the rest of the season having already played for Villa and us? Surely he would have the same rules as Murray?? i.e 93 day loan?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I just hope our board aren't as complacent as you appear to be. Would be a big mistake.

It's not about being complacent, I'd say pragmatic is more like it. Hughton is good enough to keep this squad up, what's the point in rushing out and signing players just for the sake of it, the club did that in August and it didn't really work out did it. Players go at an inflated premium in January, Bloom has publicly stated he doesn't like doing business in January. If a deal that's too good to pass up presents itself then brilliant, but I don't see the urgency.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here