Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third Test England v South Africa, The Oval, July 27-31

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why given the assumption that Philander will be able to bat tomorrow and only 28 runs needed to avoid the follow on.
We'd bat again anyway. Time in the game, no way I could see the follow on being enforced. Not that I'm saying it would be a bad idea, just won't happen.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I would be very surprised if we enforce the follow-on. They are capable of batting much better than this, and could set a tricky target in the 4th innings. Much better just to bat them out of the game. Plenty of time left, even with a dodgy outlook tomorrow.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would be very surprised if we enforce the follow-on. They are capable of batting much better than this, and could set a tricky target in the 4th innings. Much better just to bat them out of the game. Plenty of time left, even with a dodgy outlook tomorrow.

Th logic to that is if we can set them a target of around 500 that should ensure that we dont lose.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Weather is the issue here. Normally would bat again, but rain on the way, so definitely enforce follow on if available. The bowlers have only been bowling for 43 overs so not tired.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Weather is the issue here. Normally would bat again, but rain on the way, so definitely enforce follow on if available. The bowlers have only been bowling for 43 overs so not tired.

I would (almost) always go for enforcing the follow on, if available - but that doesn't seem to be the current fashion.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Th logic to that is if we can set them a target of around 500 that should ensure that we dont lose.

500 ? It's not the first day at Antigua.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would (almost) always go for enforcing the follow on, if available - but that doesn't seem to be the current fashion.

Australians started it (I think). And after Laxman and Dravid's marathon at Kolkata continued... :lolol:

In fact, it was that match where it changed. The enforcement figure has dropped hugely.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Today's weather looks poor after 2PM so going to be one of those frustrating days. Don't suppose Philander will bat and he'll be happy to have a Rest Day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
500 ? It's not the first day at Antigua.

My thinking was a 1st inns lead of 200 plus 250 -300 scored in One day style, which our batsmen are capable of would then leave a massive total and 2 days for the SA batsmen to play out. They have the batsmen to do it subject of course to weather, so it must be made virtually impossible for them to chase.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
South Africa 156-8 (51.3 overs) Bavuma 44* Morkel 16*

That puts the follow-on discussion to bed... now to get on with taking these two wickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here