Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good shout. Most dependent on wind direction on day. So assume favourable conditions for each. I'd put Hove Park before PP although yet to do PP. Eastbourne is around Shinewater Lake flat but not all on paths so hard in the wet perhaps. Clair Park no idea so give it third place. Hasting's is the fastest for me.

Bevendean
Peacehaven
Clair Park
Eastbourne
Hove Park
Preston park
Hove promenade
Worthing

Clair Park is local for me, done it a few times. Definitely not a PB course. 4.5 laps, hilly, narrow tarmac paths and can be crowded (path barely wide enough to pass other runners in places). It's broadly a long uphill (with as short steep bit) followed by a long downhill. My PB there is about 90s slower then Hove Prom and Hove Park (at times of comparable fitness)

I'd rate Hove Prom faster than Hove Park or Preston Park as long as it's not windy.

Anyone done Tilgate ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Clair Park is local for me, done it a few times. Definitely not a PB course. 4.5 laps, hilly, narrow tarmac paths and can be crowded (path barely wide enough to pass other runners in places). It's broadly a long uphill (with as short steep bit) followed by a long downhill. My PB there is about 90s slower then Hove Prom and Hove Park (at times of comparable fitness)

I'd rate Hove Prom faster than Hove Park or Preston Park as long as it's not windy.

Anyone done Tilgate ?

Think I based my Clair Park position on an earlier review from you. Still on my list. Warm sunny day forecast Saturday. Think I'll pop along to Hove Prom Parkrun and have a swim afterwards.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'd agree with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s rating although I have nt done Clair or Eastbourne.
TIlgate I would say is somewhere close to Peacehaven in difficulty, although a really difficult one to compare.

Can we add in the rest of Sussex...Chichester probably similar to Hove Park. Bognor? Paging @GNT?

Best way to tell is look at the average times on the bottom of their Parkrun pages - all except Peacehaven should have enough runs to be statically significant- if someone can be bothered to do this!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll give it a bash, starting with the toughest at the top:

Bevendean
Peacehaven
Preston park
Hove park
Hove promenade
Worthing

If Eastbourne is a straight out and back along the front then it would be between Hove Prom and Worthing. I've no idea about Clair park, I don't even know where it is, let alone run around it.

For all those looking for healing, Emily Proto (her of first place at Worthing 10k and generally running very quickly for Arena) has set herself up in the sports massage world. I have NO idea if she's any good, but she'll know what she's on about from her own experiences and she's a top girl. http://www.protosportsmassage.com/bookonline

Agree with your ranking. And Clair Park at Haywards Heath is probably between Peacehaven and Bevendean (not many NSCers seem to have had a crack at this one).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'd agree with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s rating although I have nt done Clair or Eastbourne.
TIlgate I would say is somewhere close to Peacehaven in difficulty, although a really difficult one to compare.

Can we add in the rest of Sussex...Chichester probably similar to Hove Park. Bognor? Paging @GNT?

Best way to tell is look at the average times on the bottom of their Parkrun pages - all except Peacehaven should have enough runs to be statically significant- if someone can be bothered to do this!

Bognor: Well it's pan-flat and protected from the wind by being in a (lovely) park with lots of trees and a bloody great wall. That's the end of the good news! It's 3 and a half twisty laps on sometimes narrow paths. There are many sharp turns and I'm afraid there's also the problem of lapping some rather slow folk who tend to be in twos. There's also occasional runner v dog walker encounter! It's very slow and even more so in recent times as the numbers rack up. Having said that it's a good one to do if you're not worried about a PB: it's very friendly, parking isn't too bad, it's near the prom/town and there's a very smart café in the park (and a little train in summer). It would be good one to take any kiddies to.
It's one the parkruns where you start thinking about whether the numbers exceed its natural capacity.

Tilgate (Crawley) is a fab location in that there's a bloody great lake and it's got a semi-rural feel about it. I've only run it once and that was a part of a Christmas double after doing Horsham so my time was always going to be slow. I'd say it's 'OK' but again suffers at the start through high numbers and then there's a very pretty short/sharp steep part (which you do twice). Not PB territory but worth the trip. It's quite near the football ground!

Chichester: good for parking (Theatre car park) and numbers quite low. Good view across the city. Only done it once and it was a cold, wet day. If I recall it's basically a few laps around a rugby pitch. It's a bit of a slog and the day I did it was a mud-fest. Not a PB course although better hope in dry weather - a little hilly.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Lovely day for a 10 mile run. Nice to make the most of the long summer days.

I've been icing which helps with the swelling but hadn't thought to try the roller on it. I'll give it a go and if you have any other tips hopefully less painful id like to hear them.

I've had this on and off for years but I think it's always been low level. I know of another really good local runner who has had to retire (or face a very nasty operation) simply because his Achilles are unnaturally short - so I think some of us are prone to this. To be honest I've always just self-treated and known that it'll clear up - no real acute episodes with swelling like yours. I've developed my own variation of stretches but apart from that, the ice (which I swear by) and the roller (which I swear at) then no real answers I'm afraid. Hoe you recover soon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've been icing which helps with the swelling but hadn't thought to try the roller on it. I'll give it a go and if you have any other tips hopefully less painful id like to hear them.

I've had this on and off for years but I think it's always been low level. I know of another really good local runner who has had to retire (or face a very nasty operation) simply because his Achilles are unnaturally short - so I think some of us are prone to this. To be honest I've always just self-treated and known that it'll clear up - no real acute episodes with swelling like yours. I've developed my own variation of stretches but apart from that, the ice (which I swear by) and the roller (which I swear at) then no real answers I'm afraid. Hoe you recover soon.

Lucky GNT can deal with the Achilles problem. Mine is on the move and 95% confident will be gone in a month.
Just a warning to [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] that running on it builds up scar tissue that can then create extra problems. Good luck with your physio. He'll advise what to do. Paul Godley has told me to not stretch the area fully for 2 weeks and NOT to fiddle around with it by self massage. He wants me to run on it to see what that creates. Hopefully just scar tissue removal. I'll keep your relay place open till Saturday.

My relay training today will be running a number of legs between a chair and the bar on a lads day out at the Hove Angler's, whilst watching the England Pakistan semi final, swimming in the sea and eating all day. An Australian lifestyle on my doorstep.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good news and bad.

Good news - the trail running actually seems to have made my knee better when running. I could still feel some "pull" on it on road runs up to Worthing but the strengthening of a hill based trail run meant I did indeed recover better and today went out for 5 easy miles in the early morning heat that felt totally normal on my legs.

Bad news - I can't put this to use at the Weakest Link. Apologies [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] work stops play :(

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good news and bad.

Good news - the trail running actually seems to have made my knee better when running. I could still feel some "pull" on it on road runs up to Worthing but the strengthening of a hill based trail run meant I did indeed recover better and today went out for 5 easy miles in the early morning heat that felt totally normal on my legs.

Bad news - I can't put this to use at the Weakest Link. Apologies [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] work stops play :(

Glad to hear that and sorry to hear that. There is no managerial crisis or panic as injuries and other commitments have hit each and every relay team. Last year we competed with 3 runners and this year we will form the nucleus of 3 teams. we need more volunteers though. So calling [MENTION=26896]GypsyKing[/MENTION] your forum needs you Wednesday 21st June 7pm start http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

The super ego team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

The ego team is [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

The wooden spoon team is [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] is awaiting physio today but needs a miracle and has till the weekend to make a decision.

We need 1-3 runners depending on Gypsy King and Penny's harmonica running. Any new names? I'll be able to sign up people if no names are put forward on here.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Glad to hear that and sorry to hear that. There is no managerial crisis or panic as injuries and other commitments have hit each and every relay team. Last year we competed with 3 runners and this year we will form the nucleus of 3 teams. we need more volunteers though. So calling [MENTION=26896]GypsyKing[/MENTION] your forum needs you Wednesday 21st June 7pm start http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

The super ego team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

The ego team is [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

The wooden spoon team is [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] is awaiting physio today but needs a miracle and has till the weekend to make a decision.

We need 1-3 runners depending on Gypsy King and Penny's harmonica running. Any new names? I'll be able to sign up people if no names are put forward on here.
Bloody hell [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], we're gonna have our work cut out!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Good and bad news for me too. Good news is my hamstring is the correct length thanks GNT. The bad is I'm officially crocked till further notice and can't run on Wednesday. Very disappointed but the limitations of middle aged man have once again been exposed. Good luck to those taking part, hope another couple of ego's can play for the team and fill the gaps :)

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

If we don't get enough to fill teams.. I don't mind putting a shift in whatever team is short, if that's possible? just a thought?...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If we don't get enough to fill teams.. I don't mind putting a shift in whatever team is short, if that's possible? just a thought?...

Excellent attitude but not possible as first leg of all teams start together and 5th leg is run by the whole team.
I have two suitable stand ins that [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] knows, Johnjo and his dad Eamon from the now defunct run squad. Johnjo will go with Bobkin and Simgull and his dad first leg of team C. They are on stand by till Saturday in case anyone on here comes forward. I will guarantee there places then.

That leaves us one short but still waiting on [MENTION=26896]GypsyKing[/MENTION] or [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] before I press gang some poor unsuspecting runner into joining us.

All under control.......

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
I'm happy to step in if still required. Not sure how quick I will be as normally run over longer distances but can do a pace of 7m 30s a mile when running 6/7 miles as a guide.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm happy to step in if still required. Not sure how quick I will be as normally run over longer distances but can do a pace of 7m 30s a mile when running 6/7 miles as a guide.

You're inked in to the B team. It's a great fun event. See you next Wednesday. End of Volk's Railway at Marina end.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here