Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hudds to hand 'arry a lifeline?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Huddersfield have earns the right to field whatever team they want to and I'd expect us to do the same if we were in the same position.
The fact remains that they'll do anything to avoid Fulham especially over two games and another spanking

What is this "earned the right" business ? Just because the game was meaningless to Huddersfield, doesn't mean they have "earned a right" to chuck it by playing the ressies. Gifting the points to a team in the midst of a relegation scrap warps the integrity of the whole competition. I can understand resting a couple of key players, but TEN changes was a complete piss-take.

If I was Blackburn or Forest I'd be STEAMING.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
I look forward to the next installment of outrage on Sunday when we pick a similar team. Or is that OK if Cardiff are midtable?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I look forward to the next installment of outrage on Sunday when we pick a similar team. Or is that OK if Cardiff are midtable?

You'll bat away any outrage for that by claiming you did the decent thing and picked 'an unchanged team'.

#MinistryOfMisinformation

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What is this "earned the right" business ? Just because the game was meaningless to Huddersfield, doesn't mean they have "earned a right" to chuck it by playing the ressies. Gifting the points to a team in the midst of a relegation scrap warps the integrity of the whole competition. I can understand resting a couple of key players, but TEN changes was a complete piss-take.

Quite.

Huddersfield didn't need any points from their last two matches. Some might say it suited them not to accrue any. They'd 'earned the right' not to try to win any points. In fact they didn't really NEED to play the matches at all. They'd 'earned the right' to just not bother turning up, surely?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Wagner:

It is unfair talking about my starting XI because I wanted fresh players.

Opponent's managers who are threatened by relegation should not talk about my team selection.

They should do their jobs over the whole season and then not have to worry about my team selection.

The man becomes more unlikable by the day.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Sheffield Wednesday did the same in the final league match last season and it paid off for them, as CH put out a full strength team at 'Boro for obvious reasons. If the position had been reversed would we have complained?

The rationale about the Albion putting out weakened teams in the cup is that it gives players a rest and reduced injury risk as success if gaining promotion is more important than making the 5th round of the FA Cup instead of the 4th round.

The rationale about Huddersfield putting out a weakened team in the league last Saturday is that it gives players a reset and reduces injury risk as success in the playoffs is more important than finishing 4th instead of 5th.

Mourinho is already threatening to play United's Under-23's for their final league match of the season if they make the Europa Cup Final. United's league opponents that day are...Crystal Palace, who may still need a point by then (I suspect they won't).

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Key word being Cup.

What's the difference? Don't fans matter?

Travel hundreds of miles to watch your team play and few if any of the 'first team' play. Moan about it on here and be told that it was important to rest players for the league - certainly no suggestion it is cheating!

All Huddersfield did is rest players from the League competition in order to keep them fresh for the play-off competition. I'd not be happy about it as a Huddersfield fan but to describe that as 'cheating' but not what we and the majority of teams do in cup rounds smells somewhat of double standards.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The rationale about the Albion putting out weakened teams in the cup is that it gives players a rest and reduced injury risk as success if gaining promotion is more important than making the 5th round of the FA Cup instead of the 4th round.

But ultimately the only losers in that scenario would be the Albion if we went on to lose said cup match

The rationale about Huddersfield putting out a weakened team in the league last Saturday is that it gives players a reset and reduces injury risk as success in the playoffs is more important than finishing 4th instead of 5th.

Which being a league match has had a big impact on two other teams ability to stay up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sheffield Wednesday did the same in the final league match last season and it paid off for them, as CH put out a full strength team at 'Boro for obvious reasons. If the position had been reversed would we have complained?

Mourinho is already threatening to play United's Under-23's for their final league match of the season if they make the Europa Cup Final. United's league opponents that day are...Crystal Palace, who may still need a point by then (I suspect they won't).

Massive got beat at mid-table Wolves in their final game of last season, so the game had absolutely no consequence.

We can all see the reason why Wanger played the stiffs at Brum, but personally I would feel embarrassed if BHA turned up and threw a game in that manner, when it has such huge ramifications at the foot of the table. Its very unsporting behaviour IMO.

I can remember feeling very grateful towards Burnley for really putting in a performance at Reading on the final day of the season despite having nothing to play for, when we needed to go to Forest and better their result. Its just the "done thing" at this stage of the season, because the stakes are so high for so many clubs.

Huddersfield showed a distinct lack of class on Saturday, and I now hope they get absolutely BEASTED in the Playoffs.

(and Mourinho is about the last bloke I'd look towards as an honourable sporting barometer)

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

We know Mourinho likes to be dramatic and it's unlikely he would play the Under-23's. But he has acknowledged if he were forced to do so it would be bad if Palace needed any points. Part of his rationale is that United have a massive injury crises - which is true. Huddersfield don't.

Maybe I can bring Nicky Butt and his under-23 team to play Palace. Hopefully they don't need the points to stay in the division, because it would be very bad if we play with the under-23s. It's difficult

Obviously fielding a reserve team against a relegated threatened opponent is completely different to us putting out a weakened team in the Cup (although I still have mixed feelings about that). The key difference is we were not harming any other team by doing so. Resting a couple of key players you could understand, but changing the whole team is completely unfair to the sides at the bottom.

All my good feeling towards Huddersfield has disappeared. I'm now rooting for Fulham.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnsley were tipped by many to struggle this season, but have done brilliantly well to compete.

As such, and free from any end of season stress, they've more than 'earned the right' to reward half a dozen of their best performing U18s with first team debuts, at St.James' Park on Sunday, right?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I've read that four times now, and I don't see how it relates to the B'ham v Hudds thing in any way. Am I missing something?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
By dropping points they increase their chance of avoiding Fulham in the play-offs. No guarantees but worth the try if you're a Hudds fan. I don't much like it but it seems to me that the purpose of the competition is to win and if they improve their cha yes of promotion as a result ..............???

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Barnsley were tipped by many to struggle this season, but have done brilliantly well to compete.

As such, and free from any end of season stress, they've more than 'earned the right' to reward half a dozen of their best performing U18s with first team debuts, at St.James' Park on Sunday, right?

Yes, should they so desire.

Managers should be able to select whatever players they want, and deal with the consequences.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I really don't want Harry Redknapp to come and be hailed as a Birmingham Saviour over a 3 game period.

That said, Forrest and Blackburn are not in relegation trouble based on one match that neither of them even played in when Huddersfield rested a lot of their players.

Whoever goes down will go down over a 46 game season based on their own performances

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here