Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Stand Access

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They ask NSC because normally people can advise on what the club will do and why because its happened to them before as this thread proves.
Also ringing up the ticket office is a premium number and costs ££ so its advisable to be absolutely sure before ringing them what you're asking for etc.

Quite and if you can’t get the answer then ring the club :shrug:

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I've been told that the club works on the basis that if you can't use the steps up to the West Upper, then you wont be able to use them down again in a timely manner in the case of an emergency.

Is the correct answer.

It is likely that in an emergency evacuation situation, the lifts cannot be used, so they cannot risk people who cannot use the stairs on the way up from potentially causing a blockage on the stairs on the way down.

There is a slightly different rationale for wheelchair users, who would be instructed to wait in safe refuge areas until they can be provided with appropriate assistance by the emergency services (for example a fireman's lift).

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
They don't allow fans to use the lifts, I think they're primarily used for shifting catering stuff around. Sounds a bit mingy, but I suppose once they let one person use the lift to the WSU, they're going to get loads of requests from fans to "make an exception". Even the wheezing tubsters might start getting ideas.

Post #8 is the correct answer

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been told that the club works on the basis that if you can't use the steps up to the West Upper, then you wont be able to use them down again in a timely manner in the case of an emergency.

Quite. When one of the Powerchair team managed to blag his way up to the WSU after a game (don't know who allowed him up there), he was immediately told by security to leave.

The issue is, in the case of a fire and immediate evacuation, the lifts are switched off. We could have carried him downstairs, but that would have been undignified, dangerous and possibly caused more problems to the fella. And the wheelchair would have to be carted down later.

Is the correct answer.

It is likely that in an emergency evacuation situation, the lifts cannot be used, so they cannot risk people who cannot use the stairs on the way up from potentially causing a blockage on the stairs on the way down.

There is a slightly different rationale for wheelchair users, who would be instructed to wait in safe refuge areas until they can be provided with appropriate assistance by the emergency services (for example a fireman's lift).

It is a blanket decision as not all disabled people use wheelchairs, in fact only 8% of disabled people do.

I cannot climb more than one flight of stairs now, due to chronic fatigue, but I can walk downstairs fairly quickly as it doesn't use as much muscle.
It's easier for the club to say no overall.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Amazes me why people ask these sort of questions on this forum......Ring up the Club and ask !!!

To be fair he has probably got a quicker answer than if he calls and waits in a queue, but also isn't the whole point of a forum to share information. I wasn't aware there was no lift access to the West Stand Upper until I read this.

Part of the answer might be they don't use the lifts because a number of disabled use them to gain access to the 1901 level.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
They ask NSC because normally people can advise on what the club will do and why because its happened to them before as this thread proves.
Also ringing up the ticket office is a premium number and costs ££ so its advisable to be absolutely sure before ringing them what you're asking for etc.

Who suggests ringing ticket office which as you say is premium number.?

Disability Liaison Officer
Oliver Riley
Email: supporter.services@bhafc.co.uk
Tel: 0344 3246282 not a premium number.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Who suggests ringing ticket office which as you say is premium number.?

Disability Liaison Officer
Oliver Riley
Email: supporter.services@bhafc.co.uk
Tel: 0344 3246282 not a premium number.

I think I was talking more generically about why people post on NSC with specific club queries, many of which are ticketing related. And that number is 0844.
Agreed many areas / contacts at the Albion to answer queries like the above are on 0344 or standard local rate numbers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you can use them if you are in the 1901, in fact I see loads of people using them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ticket office isn't a premium rate number. It's a business rate with a maximum of 9p per minute. That's more than the normal charge for ringing 01 or 02 numbers which is up to 13p per minute. Genuine premium rates can charge up to £3.60.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ticket office isn't a premium rate number. It's a business rate with a maximum of 9p per minute. That's more than the normal charge for ringing 01 or 02 numbers which is up to 13p per minute. Genuine premium rates can charge up to £3.60.

I can use my mobile for 01 and 02 numbers included in my £9 a month. 0844 numbers aren't included so 7p a minute is a lot.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I think I was talking more generically about why people post on NSC with specific club queries, many of which are ticketing related. And that number is 0844.
Agreed many areas / contacts at the Albion to answer queries like the above are on 0344 or standard local rate numbers.
I didn't think 08** helpline numbers were legal these days!?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My youngest son got an injury playing football a couple of years back and they wouldnt allow him to use the lifts but moved him with his wheelchair to another area. On the point of an emergency how does the Bernabau over come it as they have escalators going up to all levels of the ground and reversed to come down after the game.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
They don't allow fans to use the lifts, I think they're primarily used for shifting catering stuff around. Sounds a bit mingy, but I suppose once they let one person use the lift to the WSU, they're going to get loads of requests from fans to "make an exception". Even the wheezing tubsters might start getting ideas.

Ben Roberts and other staff use the lift at halftime, but not for public use

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Quite. When one of the Powerchair team managed to blag his way up to the WSU after a game (don't know who allowed him up there), he was immediately told by security to leave.

The issue is, in the case of a fire and immediate evacuation, the lifts are switched off. We could have carried him downstairs, but that would have been undignified, dangerous and possibly caused more problems to the fella. And the wheelchair would have to be carted down later.

Slightly wrong.....a fire recall lift will run to the ground floor when the fire alarm is activated....its not switched off.manually.......if it does not have an alarm recall then a manual recall can be fitted.
The reason they home run to the ground floor is to prevent people using them. It also lets the firefighters see very quickly no one is trapped.

However certain lifts are designed as firefighting and evacuation lifts. These are lifts with host of safety features including self rescue facility ie hatch in the roof and a ladder on the car top..
Comms between car and ground floor.and motor room....fail safe power back up...doors stay closed on arrival at landing.................OK its boring but its my job....

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
My youngest son got an injury playing football a couple of years back and they wouldnt allow him to use the lifts but moved him with his wheelchair to another area. On the point of an emergency how does the Bernabau over come it as they have escalators going up to all levels of the ground and reversed to come down after the game.

Escalators are stairs when there is a power cut.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here