Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Has anyone ever been to Galileo's in Hove before? Much kop? Often busy when I mootch past.

It's a perfectly decent Italian. It won't blow your socks off but the food is tasty and well cooked. Great service. Mrs W and I go there quite a bit - often after work when we can't be bothered to cook and we just want a steaming bowl of pasta and a beer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I must admit I'm slightly disappointed to read this. One can't excuse food that's been sitting around getting cold. Whilst I note there were other issues would the two cold courses being warm have made a big difference to your overall feeling? Reason I ask is that's a simple thing to rectify....the others are not.

I've noticed beer is now starting to appear in drinks pairings a fair bit now and given some of the ridiculously experimental, strong and complex beers now out there I think it's a good thing. Last place I went to just charged us the price for the bottle we split.

It would have made us happier but my issue is really that flavour is sacrificed for concept. The two most tasty things of the night were the Alexander Bud Ice Cream (even then they stuck tomatoes with it) and the puree that the pollock was served on top of. Not enough seasoning, not enough sauce, not enough crunch for me. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's a perfectly decent Italian. It won't blow your socks off but the food is tasty and well cooked. Great service. Mrs W and I go there quite a bit - often after work when we can't be bothered to cook and we just want a steaming bowl of pasta and a beer.

Agree with this.

Not going to blow anyone's socks off but for an evening off cooking it's perfectly nice. Really friendly team in there too making it a pretty good local restaurant to be fair.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with this.

Not going to blow anyone's socks off but for an evening off cooking it's perfectly nice. Really friendly team in there too making it a pretty good local restaurant to be fair.

Not been there specifically but you can't beat a half decent, friendly local restaurant sometimes. Out here in the Wild West we use Seasons for the same purpose if we fancy Italian or Danny's if Chinese. My kids love both too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It would have made us happier but my issue is really that flavour is sacrificed for concept. The two most tasty things of the night were the Alexander Bud Ice Cream (even then they stuck tomatoes with it) and the puree that the pollock was served on top of. Not enough seasoning, not enough sauce, not enough crunch for me. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

Thanks. All valid comments....except maybe not enough sauce :wink: Me and the Frau differ on this. I prefer less.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Not been there specifically but you can't beat a half decent, friendly local restaurant sometimes. Out here in the Wild West we use Seasons for the same purpose if we fancy Italian or Danny's if Chinese. My kids love both too.

Taking of out of the way locals, was surprised to see a Japanese cafe serving sushi on Station Road near you - have you tried it?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly my (family) position with Seasons as well. I love it for what it is.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Is this hash as in, say, American corned beef hash? I'm trying to get an idea what his new venture is.
3f27c1367900b0135fc611d13c2e189f.jpg

Precisely so. As best typified in Brighton by the absolute MONSTERS they still serve up at Billie's.

He does sweet/savoury waffles as well which I'm yet to try. Don't know if it will last to be honest, but I'd recommend trying it while you can.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Interesting, we went a couple of months ago. I liked the concept, loved th e enthusiasm of the team and the fact that they are so young was just a bit under whelmed by the food. Nothing was bad it just was nt that exciting. We sat at the pass so saw everything, I'm really surprised they let things go cold because when we there Isaac and the head waiter were all over everything.

I also think the drinks flight is a bit of problem, for £60 (for two) In a restaurant I would expect two pretty good bottles of wine, ok you get variety but measures are hardly generous including the cider. When we were there a couple complained about this and were refunded.

I was happy to give them the benefit of the doubt as they were still quite new and as I said most of all I loved the youthful enthusiasm and sheer hard work but I suspect I won't be going back and there are better places such as Semolina at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting, we went a couple of months ago. I liked the concept, loved th e enthusiasm of the team and the fact that they are so young was just a bit under whelmed by the food. Nothing was bad it just was nt that exciting. We sat at the pass so saw everything, I'm really surprised they let things go cold because when we there Isaac and the head waiter were all over everything.

I also think the drinks flight is a bit of problem, for £60 (for two) In a restaurant I would expect two pretty good bottles of wine, ok you get variety but measures are hardly generous including the cider. When we were there a couple complained about this and were refunded.

I was happy to give them the benefit of the doubt as they were still quite new and as I said most of all I loved the youthful enthusiasm and sheer hard work but I suspect I won't be going back and there are better places such as Semolina at the moment.

Here's my review from earlier in this thread.

Menu all worked well with no clangers. Here's what we had

Blue Cheese Mousse, Pickled Walnuts & Pear

*Scallops, Pork Belly, January King, Kohlrabi & Chestnut

Crispy Lamb Belly, Parsley Root & Coriander

*Venison, Beetroot Ketchup & Shoots

Mulled Cider Sorbet

*Caramelised Apple, Oat Clusters & Cinnamon Ice Cream

The blue cheese mousse and venison were my favourites; the latter was 2 ways with a tender piece of rump and a fried terrine. Scallops and pork belly will always win me over. Possibly the scallops were ever so slightly over-cooked but I'm being picky and subjective.

1) The average age of all the staff was 23. They're a very very tight team and mainly local.
2) They were all fun, enthusiastic and really nice young people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
3f27c1367900b0135fc611d13c2e189f.jpg

Precisely so. As best typified in Brighton by the absolute MONSTERS they still serve up at Billie's.

He does sweet/savoury waffles as well which I'm yet to try. Don't know if it will last to be honest, but I'd recommend trying it while you can.

Wowza. Count me in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A repeated and condensed version of my view on Isaac's: ambitious yet inconsistent. I'd go again, but would much rather go to Set again beforehand.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Going to the Chilli pickle again tomorrow for lunch. Has anyone tried the Pork knuckle vindaloo or the Lamb shank rogan? Heard good things about both.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Going to the Chilli pickle again tomorrow for lunch. Has anyone tried the Pork knuckle vindaloo or the Lamb shank rogan? Heard good things about both.

Pork Knuckle Vindaloo I recommend - covered in loads of crackling, hot but not too hot. It is to be shared though as there is a lot of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quote Originally Posted by MattBackHome View Post

I was taught that presentation is the first lesson in food serving and I think that that looks a complete mess and very unappetizing.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ate at the Adelphia in Preston Street last night. Sort of a 6/7 out of 10 experience. Nice place not too pricey, decent wine, good selection of Greek specials. Wouldn't rush to go back, but wouldn't complain if someone else suggested it for a night out. Mezze followed by red mullett and chips for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ganges last night. Why is that place so infuriatingly inconsistent?! Last night it was back to its everything tasting a bit bland and the same, yet I've had some really great meals in there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have just had what was, hands down, the best cafe breakfast I've ever had. The purveyors of this fine meal were Wolfie's Kitchen.

As is probably obvious to most, Wolfies chippy have opened a cafe two door up and it's GREAT. Every part of the classic English breakfast was perfect, down to the mushrooms and even the butter. For 6.50 you get sausage, two bacon, roasted tomato, beans, egg, mushrooms and toast, I added black pudding obviously. It's plenty of food by anyone's standards but given the quality I didn't leave feeling disgusting. The bigger brekkie is 8.50 and you get potato hash, an extra banger, extra egg and black pudding with that for those who won't to be rendered immobile.

They also do hashes, soups, sandwiches, eggs and royale and all that. Highly, highly recommend of you're in the Hove station area but worth the trip even if you aren't. The are open every day from early.

9.5/10

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I appreciate I'm a tad late with this, but I've had a pork vindaloo from them before, but it wasn't a pork knuckle. Along with their oxtail madras, the pork vindaloo is the best dish I've had there. Their grill is usually good too.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have just had what was, hands down, the best cafe breakfast I've ever had. The purveyors of this fine meal were Wolfie's Kitchen.

As is probably obvious to most, Wolfies chippy have opened a cafe two door up and it's GREAT. Every part of the classic English breakfast was perfect, down to the mushrooms and even the butter. For 6.50 you get sausage, two bacon, roasted tomato, beans, egg, mushrooms and toast, I added black pudding obviously. It's plenty of food by anyone's standards but given the quality I didn't leave feeling disgusting. The bigger brekkie is 8.50 and you get potato hash, an extra banger, extra egg and black pudding with that for those who won't to be rendered immobile.

They also do hashes, soups, sandwiches, eggs and royale and all that. Highly, highly recommend of you're in the Hove station area but worth the trip even if you aren't. The are open every day from early.

9.5/10

Bloody love a great fry up occasionally. So hard to find a good one among all the meh, or worse, places. This goes on the "must try" list.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here