Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Only?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Can't really see any problem with this. It's just pointing out to the knuckle dragging fraternity that this isn't the type of place that they should be booking.

Think it's good that gay people have resorts they can go to where they know there won't be any dickhead bigots ruining their holiday.

As for "straight only" resorts. I'm pretty sure the only people who'd choose to go there would be the types who most people wouldn't want to meet (let alone spend two weeks in close proximity to).

Probably not a winner financially these days, thankfully, whatever free market philosophies you apply.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Ask yourself why would a place advertise as 'straight only'?

Then ask the same about a 'gay only' place ?

You should, with reasoned consideration, come up with the solution.

If you cannot then stick with your 'generate hatred up on themselves' concept. Bless-ed ignorance.

I don't think that Straight or Gay only adverts should be advertised. It does not bother me what a person's preferences are. Rules should apply to all. By saying certain groups bring hatred upon themselves, I'm simply saying that those who dislike or hate homosexuals are going to be somewhat riled by adverts that say GAY only.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Are gays issued with a badge and certificate to present to these companies as proof of gayness?
If not, how are the companies to know if you're gay or not?

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
Sandals and some other couples only resorts don't overtly say straight only but it's couples of opposite sex only, there are many " family only / friendly " hotels and then those that market to the younger generations IE 18 -30 none of these would allow a gay couple to book, yes in some countries there are Gay only / exclusive resorts this i believe is not to discriminate but to allow those who want to have a relaxing holiday in a safe environment surrounded with like minded people then what's wrong with that, and that goes for both sides.
I still remember when buying my house in the late 90"s being advised to avoid certain area's of Brighton by estate agents as these were "traditional family" area's

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't think that Straight or Gay only adverts should be advertised. It does not bother me what a person's preferences are. Rules should apply to all. By saying certain groups bring hatred upon themselves, I'm simply saying that those who dislike or hate homosexuals are going to be somewhat riled by adverts that say GAY only.
But if they already hate gay people then the hotel being "gay only" isn't bringing any hatred, is it. The people you describe are already riled because they are stupid, bigoted morons.

Nothing's going to change that, so let gay people have a nice relaxing holiday away from them.

As I said, where's the issue?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

No, really, I think the vast majority get it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are gays issued with a badge and certificate to present to these companies as proof of gayness?
If not, how are the companies to know if you're gay or not?

They look at your record collection.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
But if they already hate gay people then the hotel being "gay only" isn't bringing any hatred, is it. The people you describe are already riled because they are stupid, bigoted morons.

Nothing's going to change that, so let gay people have a nice relaxing holiday away from them.

As I said, where's the issue?

I think the issue is that if a holiday advert said Straight only, Peter Tatchell would have something to say about it.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
We don't actually know if they would enforce gay-only, which I think would be legally questionable. Any person with a modicum of sense will realise that clearly advertising your holiday / resort / etc as 'gay only' is to help everybody understand what they are booking. Maybe it could be worded differently but it can only be a positive thing surely?

The cake example doesn't really work, because it makes little sense to have a 'cakes for gays' business or a straight-only cake shop. The customers are buying a physical product and taking it away, so aside from prejudice why would anyone turn away business?

Although I suppose one might shudder to think what the beastly gays do with those cakes! I'm going to look it up, I'll bet it's all sorts of wrong.

Edit: oh. They just eat them. How dull.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
They've had age discrimination in holidays for ages: Club 18-30 and Saga to name two at different ends of the spectrum. (Although back in the 1980s I used to do some IT work for Club 18-30 and in those days if you were over 30 and absolutely insisted on going they'd let you go. Not sure if that's changed).

According to an old episode of QI, the actual age range they allowed was something like 16-35 :shrug:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think the issue is that if a holiday advert said Straight only, Peter Tatchell would have something to say about it.
That's a completely different point to the one that you made and which I addressed. I get enough of that off my wife. I don't care about what Peter Tatchell says btw.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've done some thinking about this. Just because it's labeled as "Gay Only" does that mean that straight men or women who enjoy going on holiday with gay men and women are excluded based on their stated preference of being hetero?

If not then it would appear nondiscriminating.

How does one certify their gayness? What keeps a person from lying about their sexual preference and stating after the holiday that they found no one of their same sex appealing.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've done some thinking about this. Just because it's labeled as "Gay Only" does that mean that straight men or women who enjoy going on holiday with gay men and women are excluded based on their stated preference of being hetero?

If not then it would appear nondiscriminating.

How does one certify their gayness? What keeps a person from lying about their sexual preference and stating after the holiday that they found no one of their same sex appealing.

I'm struggling with the concept of anyone hetero spending good money and using up holiday to go to a Gay Only resort. Would anyone really bother? To what end? It makes no sense to me.
As far as I can see it's there to let you know the type of resort it is. In plain language. One would have to have a fair whack of spare money and time just to turn up out of curiosity.
"Oh yeah, the advert was right, it does appear to be a Gay resort". Why?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
you may have no qualms about being in a gay environment, but sadly lots of people still do, and should you have found yourselves booked in with us( and even though it says "gay exclusive" nothing to stop u booking at all) , you wouldn't get kicked out for having a snog with your other half,in fact I am sure you would actually have a great time- we are a very welcoming bunch on the whole! BUT there are still plenty of places where if I snog my other half not only can I get kicked out, I'm quite likely to get a good kicking ! The fact that it says Gays only indicates that its adult surely?
In an ideal world there would be no "need" for gay, straight, or whatever places, but its not an ideal world. Should you and your lady book into the resort I go to, you would have no issue from anyone else there, over the years there have been straight couples there, with no issues at all from either groups, however, whilst you may be quite "sexuality" blind there are plenty of others who aren't. Surely it is best to label the resort for what it is, imagine a group of less enlightened older teens /young 20 somethings on a lads holiday finding themselves in a predominantly gay complex. When we go away, all anyone wants is to have a good relaxing time,if a place is labelled as gay, then everyone knows and will prevent problems arising.

Spot on I think. I can just see the Tripadvisor reviews now from 'Mr disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'

....there were men HOLDING HANDS and KISSING by the pool. My wife was OUTRAGED.....etc. Surely better that anyone booking has some idea of what to expect rather than holidays being ruined for multiple people. In another generation or two there won't be any need hopefully, but it's a sensible option for now.

The hotel just up the road from us in the Canaries a couple of weeks ago was a naturist hotel, sure the same applies there. Just wish I'd known a lot of the guests liked an early morning walk along the beach before I went for my first morning jog [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Imagine a quiz in school where boys face off against girls (roughly 50/50). Now imagine it is 29 kids in the class vs one ginger kid. The first grouping doesn't discriminate while the second one is clearly troubling because of the imbalance of power it creates.

Put the ginger kid in a sack and throw him(or her) in a canal........problem solved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They look at your record collection.

That's me ****ed :facepalm::lolol:

To be serious, this is an excellent thread full of very intresting comment. My 'knee jerk' was 'everything must be treated equally' but that is not correct, and those who elaborated nuance and context are right. I stand corrected.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
I'm struggling with the concept of anyone hetero spending good money and using up holiday to go to a Gay Only resort. Would anyone really bother? To what end? It makes no sense to me.
As far as I can see it's there to let you know the type of resort it is. In plain language. One would have to have a fair whack of spare money and time just to turn up out of curiosity.
"Oh yeah, the advert was right, it does appear to be a Gay resort". Why?

Evening! Being OP, one of the reasons I asked the question was i found it strange that advert came up with Gay Only? I've had more replies than I expected on subject but had some fab responses by gay NCSers who made me see why they do advertise in this way! I have to say more by error than judgement I went to an adults only hotel in Playa de Ingles with the Mrs and it was absolutely top drawer! Yes it was mainly same sex couples but it was one of the best holidays I've been on in recent times, I would not hesitate to go back there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here