Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's move to Hove......Brighton’s more affordable neighbour

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Plus loads of Guardian readers according to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. It's got it all.

You would think so wouldn't you but as as twice daily visitor to the COOP in Church Road I must report the Guardian and the Argus are the only ones left in the bin, to compound this on Saturday a young lady amongst the ever increasing number of hawkers that are seemingly taking up base camp in there was pitching subscriptions to which she was getting little to interest.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Admittedly it's not "WeHo" but doubt there's many Guardian readers in Hove Park/Hillbrow/north of Old Shoreham Road part of Hove.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I looked at one of the houses down that end, 8 I think, but it was needing too much refurb and I ended up with one of the narrower ones at the other end. I moved in 2005 and left 2012... you probably saw me run past. I obviously know the twitten; should I move back I'll join you for a drink or an ice cream.

2000 to 2011. I was heavily into triathlons but you probably ran past too quick for me to spot. Had a Aqua Mazda Bongo. Beautiful three storey Victorian (1852) Semi detached villa BUT Seafield Road only 20' from the tiny back garden. Now in ugly 30s semi in the arse end of Hove near Hove Lagoon but with a 90' garden. Probably enjoy it more here.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Hove is less affordable than Brighton. Partly due to being full of beardy, guardian readersheep DFLs. Badly researched article. Nick Cave used to live in one of the mansion flats in the photo that misses my beach hut by a smidgen. Good to see my mate's cafe at Hove Park gets a mention.

I noticed that planning permission was granted to expand Hove Park café about a year ago, but no work has started yet. The plans look good so I am disappointed this has not gone ahead yet. Do you know if and when the work will start?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Been over visiting for a couple of weeks and have spent a fair bit of time visiting my Guardian* munching friends in Hove and have been very impressed with the place. Apart from the bit along by the King Alfred, that looks shabby and in need of some upgrade.

*NB - have not seen a single copy of the Guardian in my travels through Hove.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I noticed that planning permission was granted to expand Hove Park café about a year ago, but no work has started yet. The plans look good so I am disappointed this has not gone ahead yet. Do you know if and when the work will start?

From a drunken night out I recall the problem being that if the work was done the Council would have rights to the extension as the whole property is leased. I think this is Part of the delay. I'll ask when I see him.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
From a drunken night out I recall the problem being that if the work was done the Council would have rights to the extension as the whole property is leased. I think this is Part of the delay. I'll ask when I see him.

Cheers. I hope the problem is sorted soon and work can start. I will definitely be spending more time and money there once it's done.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As they say in West WeHo.

Q - "So you live in Hove, actually?"
A- "No, Portslade, unfortunately."

That. I grew up in Hove (off Sackville Road, then off Neville Road) and have no idea what constitutes 'West Hove'. Where is it?

To me there was 'Brighton', 'Hove' and 'Portslade'.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That. I grew up in Hove (off Sackville Road, then off Neville Road) and have no idea what constitutes 'West Hove'. Where is it?

As I understand it is the Portslade end of New Church Rd/Portland Rd/Old Shoreham Rd and called that by estate agents that want to bump up property prices by claiming it is Hove rather than Portslade. Reading that back I've realised that really West Hove is actually just East Portslade.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As I understand it is the Portslade end of New Church Rd/Portland Rd/Old Shoreham Rd and called that by estate agents that want to bump up property prices by claiming it is Hove rather than Portslade. Reading that back I've realised that really West Hove is actually just East Portslade.

I guess the whole area between Sackville Road and Boundary Road is the WEST part of HOVE.

It's just HOVE though isn't it? :shrug:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

I've no idea. Depending on which Estate Agent you speak to I live in;

Poets Corner
Popular Poets Corner
Aldrington
West Hove
Portland Road area
Westbourne
Hove
Minutes from Hove Station

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've no idea. Depending on which Estate Agent you speak to I live in;

Poets Corner
Popular Poets Corner
Aldrington
West Hove
Portland Road area
Westbourne
Hove
Minutes from Hove Station

Poet's Corner is fair enough. That's a long-standing name for a particular part of HOVE.
'Portland Road Area' is a basic statement of fact, so you'd give them that.

The rest is gubbins.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast

Is Gino still making a mint out of that place from milking the yummy-mummies and Milfs?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This is why Sussex people working in their 20's and 30's will never be able to afford to live in Brighton. Bloody Londeners!

I'm 32, working, born in Worthing and bought a flat in Brighton last year.

It was bloody expensive for a basement flat with no windows in the kitchen but it's mine damn it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on, etymologically speaking ... I was pithily/ambiguously/unsuccessfully suggesting that all these denes were nothing much more than extensions of the B&H conurbation. Rottingdean I grant you was a poorly-conceived attempt at argumentum ab absurdam. ... blah blah bleurrrgghh

... just goes to show it's better not to go near NSC on a cocktail of painkillers and tranquilisers.

I'll now go back to my regular 200 posts a decade and leave you in peace ... :bigwave:

That would be a shame as I've enjoyed your lively observations on this thread!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
F me ... I've spent the last couple of years watching beautifully crafted British irony fall on the stony ground of SoCal, rooms emptied by my withering dead-pan humour and the 1,000 yard stare of a million yanks who just don't get it. NSC is my sanctuary, my holy place for all things twisted, sour and snide. And then I come on here to splash a wee bit of sarcasm around and the local PHD supervisor gets whooshed. And, if memory serves, you were only a year below me at HCGS (for boys). Yer cheeky young scamp. With apologies if you're not DM from F.

:albion2:

Lol! With working wine lake and all.

If you are one year older than me then perhaps you know Graham Pexton (an afficianado of gigs at the Dome, and the 'Hungry Years')? Bumped into him regularly at B'ton station getting the last train home, back in the mid 70s.

Now, "go down to the headmaster's office!":wave:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Lol! With working wine lake and all.

If you are one year older than me then perhaps you know Graham Pexton (an afficianado of gigs at the Dome, and the 'Hungry Years')? Bumped into him regularly at B'ton station getting the last train home, back in the mid 70s.

Now, "go down to the headmaster's office!":wave:

Did he ever manage a pub?

Specifically the Wick?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here