Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock- our most improved player this season?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Here's the thing [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], I haven't been "proved wrong" about Baldock, he'd turned in a few performances and won the game yesterday with his contribution. I have no issue saying that, I've said it many times because it is what happened. The first half also happened and that level of performance remains his standard, with the odd moment of inspiration thrown in. My opinion is that he is not very good, but is benefiting from playing with Murray over Hemed, which gives him some freedom.

Some players are terrible in a bad team, but can be effective in a good team despite not being as good as the players around him (Jonathan Walters!), it is about the team and right now, the team wins when he plays. Personally, I think that is more often than not despite and not because of him, but whatever - he has been contributing more this season so fair play to him. But when we sign a better quality striker in January - the difference in class will hopefully be as obvious as it is between Murray and Hemed.

Lastly, the Murray goal against Aston Villa is hardly an assist from Baldock just because the ball bounced off him before Murray scored a marvellous goal from long range!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would not agree with most improved but certainly most underated. As far as GM goes I believe he will only possibly be recalled if some other team like Reading want to buy him and meet AFC Bournemouths valuation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's the thing [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], I haven't been "proved wrong" about Baldock, he'd turned in a few performances and won the game yesterday with his contribution. I have no issue saying that, I've said it many times because it is what happened. The first half also happened and that level of performance remains his standard, with the odd moment of inspiration thrown in. My opinion is that he is not very good, but is benefiting from playing with Murray over Hemed, which gives him some freedom.

Some players are terrible in a bad team, but can be effective in a good team despite not being as good as the players around him (Jonathan Walters!), it is about the team and right now, the team wins when he plays. Personally, I think that is more often than not despite and not because of him, but whatever - he has been contributing more this season so fair play to him. But when we sign a better quality striker in January - the difference in class will hopefully be as obvious as it is between Murray and Hemed.

Lastly, the Murray goal against Aston Villa is hardly an assist from Baldock just because the ball bounced off him before Murray scored a marvellous goal from long range!

It's 1.10 in......'bounced off him'.

http://www.skysports.com/football/brighton-vs-a-villa/358305

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sometimes you should just sit back and admit you are being proved wrong about a player [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. I've had it a few times - Bruno the most recent example and also Duffy after his first 2 games where he was poor. Baldock was clearly a key part of the squad last season and people have started to notice what he does more. This season he's in most people's top 3 or 5 for player of the season. You've dug yourself a hole by being over the top NSC-style critical of him and to save face you're still carrying on! (from what you can see of the screen with the egg everywhere)

Top 5 for player of the season? Dunk, Duffy, Bruno, Murray, AK ,Sidwell so definitely not top 3 and I can't see him being top 5 or 6

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I still dont think he's a top championship player. Good league 1/lower champ player at best.But if we need someone to run around and look busy up front so Murray can score the goals then thats fine by me.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Ok, so obviously I think all of this praise is ridiculous. His goal yesterday was excellent, and one hell of a surprise. Not to see him hiding outside the box, that's not overly unusual but he actually kicked it. Hard. Quality goal and then a quality cross for Murray's goal - my criticism of him is that he doesn't affect the game at all, but in those two moments he turned the game for us yesterday and deserves high praise for it. It's like with Skalak, he often isn't in the game at all but then we get a set piece and he directly impacts the game with a delivery. Overall, his performance was as it usually is, he's a runner on a football pitch. Ineffective up against any opponent at all, no real ideas on the ball and if he were to win the ball back he'd only lose it immediately anyway because his a game is to pass to Murray, the b is to pass to Knockaert or if neither of those things are possible, he'll try to win a free kick.

All the praise of his "defending from the front" is generous at best, he runs around without doing anything. Maybe 1 in 5 the opposition player will misplace a pass or shank it out of play, so fair play, his running around has had an impact. But the rest of the time it doesn't make a difference. Nobody has mentioned the numerous times a move broke down because he couldn't keep hold of it, and nobody has mentioned that when Baldock tries to intercept a pass he misses, but Knockaert at least twice made an interception which actually got us the ball back. His effort actually had results.

As usual, I really think people should post where they watched the game from. I sit in the East Stand Upper, so I can see the whole game. If you sit in a lower tier or behind a goal, you don't have the same view, so you won't hold the same opinion. I'm very clear in my opinion, which is based entirely on his performances. He also needs to pack in getting in the faces of opponents and then having a cry to the referee when they tell him to piss off, he comes across as a tedious little man who is carried by the team. Yesterday he won us the game, obviously I'd be more than happy if he did that every game but he won't - he did nothing at all against Aston Villa but that's conveniently ignored and he did nothing in the first half yesterday, also not mentioned. But he was a worthy man of the match for the excellent goal and brilliant cross, it's just a shame it's completely out of character.

Must be something in your theory about views from different standpoints because I sit in Upper East Stand too and your views on Baldock exactly mirror my own - he tries hard but rarely to much effect and simply is not skilful enough at this level, let alone at Premiership level where I hope we're playing next season......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Playing with Murray seems to have restored something of the confidence he had playing alongside Jay Emmanuel-Thomas at Bristol the season before we splashed the cash for him. Similar partnership?

Whilst I quite rate him and have no particular criticism of him in what is becoming a very handy partnership I'm still hopeful we will get an "upgrade" in during January to help us over the line.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Ok, so obviously I think all of this praise is ridiculous. His goal yesterday was excellent, and one hell of a surprise. Not to see him hiding outside the box, that's not overly unusual but he actually kicked it. Hard. Quality goal and then a quality cross for Murray's goal - my criticism of him is that he doesn't affect the game at all, but in those two moments he turned the game for us yesterday and deserves high praise for it. It's like with Skalak, he often isn't in the game at all but then we get a set piece and he directly impacts the game with a delivery. Overall, his performance was as it usually is, he's a runner on a football pitch. Ineffective up against any opponent at all, no real ideas on the ball and if he were to win the ball back he'd only lose it immediately anyway because his a game is to pass to Murray, the b is to pass to Knockaert or if neither of those things are possible, he'll try to win a free kick.

All the praise of his "defending from the front" is generous at best, he runs around without doing anything. Maybe 1 in 5 the opposition player will misplace a pass or shank it out of play, so fair play, his running around has had an impact. But the rest of the time it doesn't make a difference. Nobody has mentioned the numerous times a move broke down because he couldn't keep hold of it, and nobody has mentioned that when Baldock tries to intercept a pass he misses, but Knockaert at least twice made an interception which actually got us the ball back. His effort actually had results.

As usual, I really think people should post where they watched the game from. I sit in the East Stand Upper, so I can see the whole game. If you sit in a lower tier or behind a goal, you don't have the same view, so you won't hold the same opinion. I'm very clear in my opinion, which is based entirely on his performances. He also needs to pack in getting in the faces of opponents and then having a cry to the referee when they tell him to piss off, he comes across as a tedious little man who is carried by the team. Yesterday he won us the game, obviously I'd be more than happy if he did that every game but he won't - he did nothing at all against Aston Villa but that's conveniently ignored and he did nothing in the first half yesterday, also not mentioned. But he was a worthy man of the match for the excellent goal and brilliant cross, it's just a shame it's completely out of character.

I also sit in East Upper and see a very different player to you from the same view. Whatever, let's move off personal prejudices and look at the facts. Posted earlier on another thread this table extracted from BBC site:

Capture.JPG

Seems fairly good evidence that Baldock is one of the most productive forwards in the division. Even if you wish to quibble about 'assists' he is 10th in terms of minutes on field per goals scored, not bad for a player who is far more of a team player than most of his peer group. Our 'tedious little man who is carried by the team' seems to have rather more than you give him credit for.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Murray's flick to a static Baldock, simple return pass, first touch into the space and second to rifle into the corner.

I don't call that an assist, whoever played it. Murray did all the work there. Whipping in an inch perfect cross for someone to tap in is an assist, passing it to someone who then does all the hard work is just a pass for me, whoever had passed it. That video again highlights the difference in class between Murray and Hemed, Murray needs far less help. Hemed and Baldock almost always need the perfect ball, Murray doesn't, that's the difference and it would have been the difference between 2nd and, in my opinion, 1st last season. If we'd had Murray even just from January, we would have won the league.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Murray's flick to a static Baldock, simple return pass, first touch into the space and second to rifle into the corner.

I don't call that an assist, whoever played it. Murray did all the work there. Whipping in an inch perfect cross for someone to tap in is an assist, passing it to someone who then does all the hard work is just a pass for me, whoever had passed it. That video again highlights the difference in class between Murray and Hemed, Murray needs far less help. Hemed and Baldock almost always need the perfect ball, Murray doesn't, that's the difference and it would have been the difference between 2nd and, in my opinion, 1st last season. If we'd had Murray even just from January, we would have won the league.

You said it bounced off him. It didn't.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham

I sit in the North behind the goal and completely agree with you. Doesn't affect the game but runs around a lot and looks busy.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I missed Preston, so I'm relying on the highlights. I might be being harsh, and the result is all that matters, but would you agree he was fortunate with the goal in that game? Did his best to miss it! And missed a sitter after the goal yesterday, no? Good header vs Wolves and spectacular goal against Wednesday from an outrageous through ball from Dunk.

Personally, I don't agree that his runs do create space for others, or stretches the defence. I say that because his runs lack any intellect, he runs around a lot but there's not a purpose to it, it's more for show than anything else. When CMS closed down a goalkeeper or a defender, he was actually forcing them to do something or trying to tackle them but Baldock just runs at them a bit and that's it. Sometimes he'll get close enough to unsettle them, but not usually. He rarely forces an error and almost never gets the ball, so it's just for show. In contrast, when Knockaert, an obviously better player, does the same thing he more often than not makes something happen.

Against Villa, giving him the assist is a bit strong. He passed the ball, sure, but Murray's touch and long range hit caused the goal and really, Baldock can't claim too much of an assist there other than being the last person involved before Murray made the magic happen. If Hemed were more mobile, he'd be in the team with Murray but again, if he's going to score a goal like yesterday and deliver crosses as the one for the goal then he justifies his place in the team.

But it's clearly an area of the team we could bring in a far stronger player without losing the running around, which you get from just about any striker.

Couldn't disagree with you more. I'm not sure if you watch different games to most of us but Baldock is one of the most intelligent footballers we have at the club. One of the reasons Murray and Baldock are a good partnership is because they are both on the same wavelength, not many Championship strikers could match Murray's footballing intelligence. His assist against Villa was neither easy nor all Murray's work, he knows where his partner will be and all of the goals are proving this. Your view on Baldock is bewildering...comparing him to CMS is insulting he's twice the player.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Top 5 for player of the season? Dunk, Duffy, Bruno, Murray, AK ,Sidwell so definitely not top 3 and I can't see him being top 5 or 6

I'd go (in no particular order): Dunk / Baldock / Murray / Knocky / Bruno - I did say most people's... Duffy, yes he's getting close but because he missed a fair few games he's not in the running yet, but of course he will be.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

You see, there it is again. You're entitled to your opinion but the last sentance is totally incorrect so you're wrong. He shows an excellent touch and perfect lay off. Was a class team goal. Sidwell's ball excellent, the little look by the intelligent Murray before he gets the pass to see where Baldock is and then the excellent touch and lay off from Baldock. Great goal and most certainly an assist again for Baldock.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Couldn't disagree with you more. I'm not sure if you watch different games to most of us but Baldock is one of the most intelligent footballers we have at the club. One of the reasons Murray and Baldock are a good partnership is because they are both on the same wavelength, not many Championship strikers could match Murray's footballing intelligence. His assist against Villa was neither easy nor all Murray's work, he knows where his partner will be and all of the goals are proving this. Your view on Baldock is bewildering...comparing him to CMS is insulting he's twice the player.

Nail. Head. Exactly what I just pointed out above - both intelligent. One of the main reasons we've scored so many goals again this year. Feel sorry for Hemed as he's a class player but you can't break the GM / Baldock partnership yet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd go (in no particular order): Dunk / Baldock / Murray / Knocky / Bruno - I did say most people's... Duffy, yes he's getting close but because he missed a fair few games he's not in the running yet, but of course he will be.

It's a tricky one - the team/squad 'sum' is so much more than the individual parts, and pretty much everyone who has played has made a decent contribution to where we are (which is why I personally struggle with threads that go all negative on any of our first team regulars in particular). If Baldock was out, for example, how many fewer goals would we have scored ? I'd already have Duffy in my top 5, along with Dunk, Murray, Bruno and Knocky. Sidwell is getting close as well - has been immense in the last 4/5 games.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I always thought he was a top performer, sadly he has been hampered by injuries.... other than that, I would have had him in the team over Barnes any day of the week.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here