Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Festival of Remembrance - Royal Albert Hall

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Flawless, incredibly moving and humbling as always.

Huge respect and thanks to @Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee, [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION], [MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] and all other NSC members who have served - plus all their comrades in arms.

I will never forget and I will make sure my children always remember too.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is a very moving festival and my 7 yr old granddaughter watched it asking questions about the war. The only downside was the awful rendition of Abide With Me but we can overcome that for what the festival means. Long may they be remembered.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Huge respect and thanks to @Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee, [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION], [MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] and all other NSC members who have served - plus all their comrades in arms.

Well said.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Thank you. I am at the Cenotaph tomorrow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Damn - I missed it. Probably the first time ever (since I've had a tele in my own house/flat anyway - that would be about 1978!). Sorry Dad. I know when those poppies float down there's one for every serviceman who was killed, and like you did, I always look out for your brother's too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Missed it tonight as only just got home but will catch up on it. My grandfather's proudest moment was carrying the RBL Standard at the Festival after doing it for 40 years for his own branch of the RBL (he passed a few years ago now). My grandmother also sold poppies for 45 years. I have all his medals and war memorabilia, including the handwritten diary he kept whilst a POW in WWII for 3 years after being captured in the Aegean. Never forget.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Missed it tonight as only just got home but will catch up on it. My grandfather's proudest moment was carrying the RBL Standard at the Festival after doing it for 40 years for his own branch of the RBL (he passed a few years ago now). My grandmother also sold poppies for 45 years. I have all his medals and war memorabilia, including the handwritten diary he kept whilst a POW in WWII for 3 years after being captured in the Aegean. Never forget.

My Dad served 33 years in the Royal Navy, and then joined the Royal British Legion, was a standard bearer for a while, sold poppies every year and became a Life Member. He used to love going up to the Albert Hall every year for the Festival of Remembrance.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My grandfather's proudest moment was carrying the RBL Standard at the Festival after doing it for 40 years for his own branch of the RBL (he passed a few years ago now). My grandmother also sold poppies for 45 years. I have all his medals and war memorabilia, including the handwritten diary he kept whilst a POW in WWII for 3 years after being captured in the Aegean. Never forget.

Wow - that is something to be hugely proud of. I have my grandfather's medals from WWII which my children, 7 and 5, will wear in his memory and in his honour at the war memorial at church tomorrow.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow - that is something to be hugely proud of. I have my grandfather's medals from WWII which my children, 7 and 5, will wear on his behalf and in his honour at the war memorial at church tomorrow.

That's brilliant. Thanks, I am. My grandmother (now in a care home but fit as a fiddle and 94) was very serious when she 'entrusted' all his war stuff to me (I'm the eldest grandchild). My lad (now 18) also got a stern lecture from her about how it'll then pass to him....and so on.

Grandad wasn't anything other than a 'good honest Tommy'. Signed up, leaving her and a small child at home, returned home at the end of the war. Never really spoke about his time at war or in the POW camps in Austria and Germany, but devoted much of his life to the RBL.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

Top man. Missing it again this year, but a fair few former colleagues of mine will be marching past the Cenotaph this morning.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wow - that is something to be hugely proud of. I have my grandfather's medals from WWII which my children, 7 and 5, will wear in his memory and in his honour at the war memorial at church tomorrow.

i feel really quite guilty now and a little ashamed

few years back i caught a burglar in the house, after that some prize family possession were taken by me and put in the attic including the family medals from Spion Kop through to MBE for D-Day services.....i could not stand the thought of them ever being stolen. They now sit in a metal box doing nothing.

i should not have let this tosser defeat me.....time to bring them back out and at least show them to the youngsters and what they mean

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Nothing annoys me more, than when you see people selling relatives medals etc on programmes like Cash in the attic etc.
Don't they realise they are selling a large part of their family history.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'll be at the Local war Memorial today in Haywards Heath for the remembrance parade.
My Parents were both in the armed forces my mother was in the Royal signals. My uncle ecscaped Dunkirk after being pulled from a burning building by a German in the fighting I wish when I was younger I had got more details from them but they did not want to talk about these times. Thank you to all those brave men and women in our armed services merchant Navy and firemen etc

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Nothing annoys me more, than when you see people selling relatives medals etc on programmes like Cash in the attic etc.

its frustrating seeing this when sometimes the financial gains are minimal and the loss of family history is priceless.....you could sell your HD TV for better returns
There is an antique dealer in Worthing i know quite well,is on TV quite a bit recently and he hates it when people ask him to sell medals,he will ask them to consider getting rid of something else. He has some medals for sale that have been acquired through people dying and yet he researches all of them as prize possessions and will tell you what this medal belonging to a complete stranger was for and who this person was, in as far as much he can find out.
His shop front on nov 11th is crammed with war memorabilia that he has acquired over the years,its very impressive and not one single item is up for sale

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My uncle ecscaped Dunkirk after being pulled from a burning building by a German in the fighting I wish when I was younger I had got more details from them but they did not want to talk about these times.

is that all you know of the incident?
so many questions

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The Birdman;7662995[B said:
]I'll be at the Local war Memorial today in Haywards Heath for the remembrance parade.[/B]
My Parents were both in the armed forces my mother was in the Royal signals. My uncle ecscaped Dunkirk after being pulled from a burning building by a German in the fighting I wish when I was younger I had got more details from them but they did not want to talk about these times. Thank you to all those brave men and women in our armed services merchant Navy and firemen etc
Likewise in Hastings. Always a moving occasion, and the very least we can do. Granddaughter is now starting to learn in school about the sacrifices made, and will be coming along as well.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I suppose we don't know what their motives are, or how skint they may or may not be, but equally, I find it depressing, particularly if they are in reality showing no respect, and using a relative's passing as an ideal opportunity to cynically make some cash.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here