Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I'm in training to run the Brighton marathon for the second time this year. When I'm running I experience sharp stabbing pain below my left knee and sometimes a lot of pain in my right hip. I'm gutted because I have no problems pounding the miles it's just the amount of pain, once the pain is noticeable I continue to run convincing myself it's ok because the pain doesn't get worse. I'm doing some exercises for ITB problems but apart from that the pain continues when I run. I've even had to result to running miles on the treadmill to get the training in with less pain. The obvious answer is to stop I know but I can't and won't, I have to start and complete my second and last marathon. Anyone with any helpful hints or tips, thanks.

Have you seen any physio about it for hopefully a proper diagnosis? (something I usually avoid to my own determent) I think sometimes the only way is to either stop or drastically reduce your running at least for a short while to try and get the injury under control . Stretching and maybe introducing different aerobic and strength training into your routine might help and allow you to reduce the running a little. Even though I am not a big fan, I think yoga is really useful for runners. I also find high tempo runs place a lot more strain on my limbs so probably best to back off these.

I suffered from knee pain when training for Brighton marathon a few years ago and managed to keep it under control by purchasing a knee strap and running more off road (softer ground helps a lot) and a lot more stretching. I also brought a foam roller too for a cheap deep tissue massage. Ultimately I think the best is advice is listen to your own body and see an expert.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm in training to run the Brighton marathon for the second time this year. When I'm running I experience sharp stabbing pain below my left knee and sometimes a lot of pain in my right hip. I'm gutted because I have no problems pounding the miles it's just the amount of pain, once the pain is noticeable I continue to run convincing myself it's ok because the pain doesn't get worse. I'm doing some exercises for ITB problems but apart from that the pain continues when I run. I've even had to result to running miles on the treadmill to get the training in with less pain. The obvious answer is to stop I know but I can't and won't, I have to start and complete my second and last marathon. Anyone with any helpful hints or tips, thanks.

You may make it worse, but you probably know that. If you're determined to train through the pain, then ibuprofen will help.

It's possible that the pain in the knee could be referred pain from something going on in the hip. A Physio may give a better idea, but without a scan they'll probably be making no more than an educated guess.

You are the world's number one expert on your own body; if you feel that you can continue with the training with or without the painkillers, then you probably can.

How many miles have your trainers done by the way? Could be worth getting a new pair; the cushioning is usually shot after about 500-600 miles.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
I'm training for the brighton marathon and take GU energy gels, currently using chocolate and thinking of moving to vanilla as chocolate is pretty intense.. anyone have any experience with these?

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Running shouldnt be painful. As TF has suggested try going to the physio as the pain could come from a variety of different things from running style, old trainers to something more serious.

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
You may make it worse, but you probably know that. If you're determined to train through the pain, then ibuprofen will help.

It's possible that the pain in the knee could be referred pain from something going on in the hip. A Physio may give a better idea, but without a scan they'll probably be making no more than an educated guess.

You are the world's number one expert on your own body; if you feel that you can continue with the training with or without the painkillers, then you probably can.

How many miles have your trainers done by the way? Could be worth getting a new pair; the cushioning is usually shot after about 500-600 miles.

Thanks I'll try the physio, trainers are good btw [emoji2]

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I'm training for the brighton marathon and take GU energy gels, currently using chocolate and thinking of moving to vanilla as chocolate is pretty intense.. anyone have any experience with these?

I no longer run with gels but when I did and had the GU stuff, I found the vanilla flavour nicer than the chocolate one.. For something that's natural etc etc try the 33shake stuff.. A little pricy but found them OK..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just reading through this thread, there are some crazy times!

I am planning to do my 4th Brighton marathon this year. Had a decent second one (3:58) but last year had an absolute mare, struggle round in about 4:25 and felt truly awful from halfway onwards. I'm not sure what went wrong but for one thing pretty sure I didnt refuel nearly enough on the way round.

Trainings been going pretty well this year, I am trying to stick to the 3:45 Runners World training plan as I am determined to get sub 4 again. Did a 16.5 miler last week but am a little confused about the plans idea of "slow". All the long runs have been listed as that so far and the 16.5 I felt really good but was shocked when I checked watch and was doing 9.15 miles (although did finish in exact time plan said I should aim for). Decided to go on an 8 today and managed 7:40 miles which I am chuffed with tbh. When should I start picking up the pace of the longer runs or is it a case of getting the distance in and doing shorter quicker runs to improve speed?

Ta in advance!

Don't worry. The Runners World plans are very good and if you stick to the overall times they suggest you'll be fine. I recently used a marathon plan from them and the Sunday long runs were never ever at full race pace apart from two short Sunday 12 milers around 6 and 4 weeks before the main event. This was for a 3:15 time. When I trained for 3:30 a few years back none were are race page. The speed work is undertaken in the shorter training runs. The race day adrenalin will give you the extra ooomph so just stick to what RW suggests during training, keep it steady on race day, and you'll be fine. I've used them 4times now and got my time I trained for in each race.

PS had a choice of 8 miles or a curry tonight. Chose the latter...bad runner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been bricking it for the last month. Have followed the Runners World plan for a 4:15 marathon for Brighton, which may have been overambitious (best 13.1 is 2.11 in a race, but have since then reduced that to 2.04 in training). Joined a running club, and most of them are training for Rome, which is two weeks before Brighton. Managed to get up to 15 miles, but the next three weeks couldn't go any further, and totally lost confidence and any belief that I could finish.

After the PATHETIC capitulation to Forest Saturday I was still angry Sunday morning, and managed to run 20.2 miles (or 19.8, depending on whether I believe my iPhone or Garmin), but felt dreadful afterwards. My main concern is that once I get to a certain distance (normally 8-9 miles) I go from running to shuffling, and it is a real struggle to continue, I'm hoping that keeping to the RW program will see me through, but lots of doubts looming in my mind.

I'm guessing you're only half way through your 16 week training? If you can do 15 and 20 now then you can do 26 with another 2 months of training. I have no doubt about this. Just concentrate on the distances and put times to one side for now if you're struggling with the clock. The mental side of long distance running is often overlooked; some runs don't go well for reasons you just can't figure out. And self-doubt is no crime in your first race. Every runner will tell you this. I had a wobble before my London marathon. I clocked an awful time in the Worthing 20. I really struggled. I just made sure I did my prescribed distances and after a short while I was feeling better. In short, physically I think you'll be fine if you continue with the plan, you just need to push on through for a bit and understand marathon running is about mental strength as well as physical. I'm not suggesting you need lots of mental strength, more you just need to be aware this can affect you.

Last edited:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I maybe going against the grain as most plans suggest easy paced long runs but I push myself to the limit each and every run, albeit I only run twice a week.

My marathon pb is 3:55:27 but I feel I'm on course to hit 3:30 based on my times this year vs last.

I started trying to push how far I can hold 7:30 pace and that idea has brought me to my current level which is 15 miles @ 7:30. 4 months ago I couldn't manage 8 at that pace but continual efforts have really improved my ability to maintain that pace.

My thoughts being how are you supposed to improve if you continually run within yourself. On top of my long run I run a quicker hill run after work taking in New England Hill and up the hill from Hove park towards Waitrose. Very occasionally I might take part in Hove Park Run but I sometimes struggle with my longer run on a Sunday if I push the 5k too hard.

My advice to you and @Guinness Boy is to set challenging time targets for your run which will push you and see a gradual improvement. Or aim to run a time and see what distance you can cover within that time e.g how many miles can you complete in 90 minutes? Try that 3 times and then measure the improvement.

You'd usually expect to do your long runs at about a minute per mile slower than your planned marathon race day pace, but have a mixed overall programme that includes tempo runs, intervals and hills for conditioning. On that basis your 9.15 is about right (race day pace being 8.30?). Sounds like you're doing just fine !

Don't worry. The Runners World plans are very good and if you stick to the overall times they suggest you'll be fine. I recently used a marathon plan from them and the Sunday long runs were never ever at full race pace apart from two short Sunday 12 milers around 6 and 4 weeks before the main event. This was for a 3:15 time. When I trained for 3:30 a few years back none were are race page. The speed work is undertaken in the shorter training runs. The race day adrenalin will give you the extra ooomph so just stick to what RW suggests during training, keep it steady on race day, and you'll be fine. I've used them 4times now and got my time I trained for in each race.

PS had a choice of 8 miles or a curry tonight. Chose the latter...bad runner.

Many thanks for all the responses. After my 8 miler at 7:36 pace I tested to see my quickest 5k last night and did it in 21:02. Pretty sure this is the quickest I have ever run that distance.

My 3:45 plan says to race a half marathon this weekend so planned out a route. What sort of pace should I be looking for? My 16.5 miler was 9:16 miles and felt comfortable with that, should I pushing for maybe 8:30 for the half?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Many thanks for all the responses. After my 8 miler at 7:36 pace I tested to see my quickest 5k last night and did it in 21:02. Pretty sure this is the quickest I have ever run that distance.

My 3:45 plan says to race a half marathon this weekend so planned out a route. What sort of pace should I be looking for? My 16.5 miler was 9:16 miles and felt comfortable with that, should I pushing for maybe 8:30 for the half?

Push for 8 minute miles your 5k time is excellent and your 8 mile effort suggests 8 minutes per mile would really test you but is ultimately achievable.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Push for 8 minute miles your 5k time is excellent and your 8 mile effort suggests 8 minutes per mile would really test you but is ultimately achievable.
Agree with this. There's obviously a few factors involved, but the ability to do a 21 min 5K usually equates to a sub 3-30 marathon. With a couple more months of good training, you should be looking at closer to 3-20.

Back yourself and raise the bar!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just come back from a great run along the seafront ideal conditions with very little wind and no sun.

Planned to run 8 miles at close to 7 minute miles but ended up going for a 10k pb which I achieved by 54 seconds bringing me down to 42:44.

I'm starting to think about running the Brighton half at 7 minute miles or marginally slower so I may well threaten to 1 hour 30 now which I find amazing as I was chuffed with 1 hour 44 last year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just come back from a great run along the seafront ideal conditions with very little wind and no sun.

Planned to run 8 miles at close to 7 minute miles but ended up going for a 10k pb which I achieved by 54 seconds bringing me down to 42:44.

I'm starting to think about running the Brighton half at 7 minute miles or marginally slower so I may well threaten to 1 hour 30 now which I find amazing as I was chuffed with 1 hour 44 last year.

:thumbsup:

Good work

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good work nuts. I was down to 42 mins many moons ago for 10km. This year (on BM day), I'm hoping for something similar.

Still clinging onto hope of a sub 1:40 HM in a week and a bit. Gonna go for a good tempo run (8 miles-ish/1hr) around Shoreham-by-Sea tomorrow morning and see how it feels...

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Agree with this. There's obviously a few factors involved, but the ability to do a 21 min 5K usually equates to a sub 3-30 marathon. With a couple more months of good training, you should be looking at closer to 3-20.

Back yourself and raise the bar!

Thanks! Sorted, will set off at 8 min miles and see where I get!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First sub 30 min 5k just now. Admittedly approx 29.30 - 29.40 (I have to turn runkeeper on and then stop it again and it's just over 5k by the time i stop) but the right pace, solid under 10m/m. And it was in THAT hurricane out there *points at swaying trees*
[MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] I'm comin' for ya!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First sub 30 min 5k just now. Admittedly approx 29.30 - 29.40 (I have to turn runkeeper on and then stop it again and it's just over 5k by the time i stop) but the right pace, solid under 10m/m. And it was in THAT hurricane out there *points at swaying trees*
[MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] I'm comin' for ya!

Great stuff, nice breakthrough ! Might be worth you getting a GPS watch - Garmin do a great range.

25 miles on a hotel treadmill for me this week. Bored, bored, bored. Can't wait to get on the Downs on Sunday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great stuff, nice breakthrough ! Might be worth you getting a GPS watch - Garmin do a great range.

25 miles on a hotel treadmill for me this week. Bored, bored, bored. Can't wait to get on the Downs on Sunday.

:thumbsup: I smell a new gadget purchase!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:thumbsup: I smell a new gadget purchase!

Do it.......will give you all the stats in the world, especially if you get one with a heart rate monitor. Wireless upload to Garmin Connect where all your workouts are stored, which you can then link to Strava.....etc etc......

Tracking speed on the move is useful too if you are aiming at particular times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here