Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Just thought I show you all this great hi vis that I got. Surely will help on the roads at this time of year.

Attachments

• WP_20141122_12_10_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141122_12_10_38_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 161

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wait for a dry spell then go out. If you get 10 miles out and it pisses down, no point going back.
What you mentioned before has stuck with me in a geeky sort of way, so here it is:-

According to the AA journey planner at the furthest points of our routes we were 84.8 miles apart.
Which isn't as much as I'd have thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This morning my mate Colin managed to sneak in a cheeky 82 miles and 4,000ft of climbing. :ohmy: :facepalm:

Oh and before you ask:-

No, West Sussex & Surrey wasn't a tropical paradise, today.
What happened outside your house was happening outside our houses, as well. :no:

Quick question gents and apologies if fixtures. Was having a couple of bits done on me trusty stead when I was asked if i'd had any punctures; which I have. He suggested that I got some winter tyres and mentioned gators, is it necessary and if so any recommendations? I thank you!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quick question gents and apologies if fixtures. Was having a couple of bits done on me trusty stead when I was asked if i'd had any punctures; which I have. He suggested that I got some winter tyres and mentioned gators, is it necessary and if so any recommendations? I thank you!!
If you're in need of new tyres (replacing worn, cracked, knicked) and are planning to ride right through the winter irrespective of conditions, then yeah you'll be better off with a tougher tyre, of which Gatorskins are very popular.

Although if you'll be taking it easy and cherry picking your rides through to March/April and are mindful of the cost, a new set of your usuals (assuming they are decent) should easily cope.
It's not like we are riding through t'moors at -10c on roads barely used in t'winter.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I've got 25mm gatorskins (£24 on wiggle) and very pleased with them.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you're in need of new tyres (replacing worn, cracked, knicked) and are planning to ride right through the winter irrespective of conditions, then yeah you'll be better off with a tougher tyre, of which Gatorskins are very popular.

Although if you'll be taking it easy and cherry picking your rides through to March/April and are mindful of the cost, a new set of your usuals (assuming they are decent) should easily cope.
It's not like we are riding through t'moors at -10c on roads barely used in t'winter.

Agree 100% with Stat.

Also agree that the gatorskins are great.

I have a fat 25 inch winter tyre on my rear wheel and a 23 on the front. The slightly fatter tyre gives a bit more grip.

I did ride the cobbles on 28s and kept them on for last winter. Never had a slip or a puncture with them. The disadvantage is they do slow you down a bit, although in slippy conditions that might not be a bad thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is so coooool:-

Oh and [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] every time I think I've finally given up on your search, something else pops up.
Planet X have a 20% off discount until 02.12.14 code UKSTAFFJVI20

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone want to talk me out of chucking red bar tape on this?

2014-08-08-2349.jpg

I'd prefer some Fizik red/black tape to get this look (not my bike or photo):

2010ScottCR1Team.jpg

but it seems nobody stocks it anymore :(

So it's back to Cinelli bubble bar tape, but seriously considering the red version over my default black. What say the geeks?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh, and another thing.

Anyone yet to try out a cadence sensor, but considering giving it a go....I have a spare cadence/speed ant+ combo sensor I'm willing to donate to the cause. All that's required to get your hands on it is a pm with your address and the odd update on here as to how you get on with trying out cadence. I'm convinced, having been switched onto cadence by SB, that once you start with a cadence sensor you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Cycling chaps.

My 13 yr old has caught the cycling bug. So much so that he wants a new bike for Christmas, ahead of an Xbox One.

Any recommendations for what we should look at? Not a racing bike, but something he can ride on the road and off road as well. Budget around £300/400. He's tall so will need an adult size. Sorry for the ignorance but have only bough cheap mountain bikes in the past.

Cheers

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Cycling chaps.

My 13 yr old has caught the cycling bug. So much so that he wants a new bike for Christmas, ahead of an Xbox One.

Any recommendations for what we should look at? Not a racing bike, but something he can ride on the road and off road as well. Budget around £300/400. He's tall so will need an adult size. Sorry for the ignorance but have only bough cheap mountain bikes in the past.

Cheers

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/hardrock-v-brake-26-2015-mountain-bike-ec067770?country=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=CKnN2LLElsICFWXnwgodc6MA9g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling chaps.

Cheers
There's the outside possibility this could be the first question to ever stump us.
A present for the 13 year old boy is dealing with a level of 'cool' I doubt any of us are comfortable with :lol:

I'm sure someone will pop along to help out.
The main question will be 'where's the bike going to be ridden'?
What do you mean by off road, out into the woods or just down to the park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here