Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No poppies on the shirt !

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
people like me who didn't want to publicly express their support which is our right.

Well done to you not PUBLICLY expressing your support------are you allergic to paper poppies or frightened normal people will laugh at you.
Send me your address and I'll send you a quid via a brown envelope so you can buy one next year - no one will know---only me & you:moo:
I didn't go to church and all the other stuff you describe----but I choose to buy a poppy at the very least coz I don't care a flying feck what the public think you sad case.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
let you off, no need to be sarcy:down:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Why should he justify it to you? Are you a superior being?

People can show respect in their own way.

I didn't ask him to justify his decision, I asked him a simple question which he chose to answer. I didn't come storming in on the backs of 4 servicemen demanding answers, I was just wondering why he felt how he did.

Cheers for storming in though :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I read an article regarding James McClean's objection to wearing a poppy. In his view, as he comes from Derry, he regards the poppy as symbol of "hate" rather than remembrance because of Bloody Sunday. Fair enough. That is fine if he chooses not to wear one in "his own time" so to speak.

However, on Friday, he was selected to play for Wigan (his employers) and to wear a club shirt with a poppy on it. He objected (as he did when playing for Sunderland) and then played in a shirt sans poppy.

Fine. Except in my view he was representing his club, and in line with all other Premier and Football League clubs, were endorsing the wearing of a poppy as an act of remembrance throughout the country. If he felt that strongly about it he should have asked not be selected and thereby saved embarrassing Wigan, and bringing widespread abuse on himself.

How about Wigan being proud that they employ footballers to play football and leave the free thinking bit to the individual conscience. Just a thought that maybe those fighting for our freedoms might quite have liked?

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I didn't ask him to justify his decision, I asked him a simple question which he chose to answer. I didn't come storming in on the backs of 4 servicemen demanding answers, I was just wondering why he felt how he did.

Cheers for storming in though :thumbsup:

Fair enough - was a bit of a storm, my apologies - not normally 'hot headed' :)

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
people like me who didn't want to publicly express their support which is our right.

Well done to you not PUBLICLY expressing your support------are you allergic to paper poppies or frightened normal people will laugh at you.
Send me your address and I'll send you a quid via a brown envelope so you can buy one next year - no one will know---only me & you:moo:
I didn't go to church and all the other stuff you describe----but I choose to buy a poppy at the very least coz I don't care a flying feck what the public think you sad case.

No. I wish to remember the fallen, in my own way. I don't need a plastic and paper poppy to remind me. Others do. Good for you and them.

That is what these brave men and women fought for - to allow people to express themselves in any way they wish in a democratic and free society.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Some people have made excellent points. Our soldiers and armed forces have (and are) fighting for the freedoms which we enjoy. If someone chooses not to wear a poppy then as part of the vibrant democracy that we are - thanks to our soldiers - then that is their choice.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I wonder what Bradford City's excuse was not to wear a poppy against Halifax in the FA cup game today......

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
No. I wish to remember the fallen, in my own way. I don't need a plastic and paper poppy to remind me. Others do. Good for you and them.

That is what these brave men and women fought for - to allow people to express themselves in any way they wish in a democratic and free society.

And there was me thinking the majority fought/ gave their lives because of conscription??? I include both sides of the war in this obviously....( and obviously I have nothing except the upmost heartfelt respect for those that lost their lives and their families, greater people than I could ever wish to be)

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Celtic hang your heads in shame . 100th years on and still full of disrespect. Take a look at Millwall and there mark of respect.

Stop it, will you. Wearing poppies should be a personal decision. Millwall totally over the top.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Presumably their rationale is the same or similar to that expressed yesterday by James McLean. Whilst I think the act of Remembrance is extremely important, I also think it has to be a personal decision to express that by the physical act of wearing a poppy or whatever.

While I agree that people should never be forced to observe something they don't want to, I think its noteworthy that the Irish ambassador to the UK laid a wreathe for the first time today. Its time to move on. Today is about all wars, about all sides and about those who live on.

Today is not political.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Not a surprise at all! A club with a very very dark history, often glorified and papered over but a single scratch shows the badness beneath.

On a more sensible front it was very good to see the Irish Republic represented at the Cenotaph today as a mark of respect to the 40,000 or so fallen gallant Irish fighters from the 1st WW. Their contribution was immense and ridicules the pathetic Celtic stance to the point of 'move on, forget the hooped dross for what they are worth; which isn't much'!

TNBA

TTF

minkymorgan

Aug 13, 2014
What is the connection between wearing a poppy & sport exactly , when did it become compulsory for all sports team to wear them ?
there were plenty of fans not wearing poppies at Amex yesterday , should they all hang their heads in shame ? are they all anti British ?
Or should they be allowed to exercise freedom of choice ?, is that not what we are told the soldiers honoured by wearing poppies fought & died for .. ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here