Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Sussex v East Sussex

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There IS no boundary; no East, no West, no City of Brighton and Hove; it's ALL Sussex! Our cricket fans (I'm a Sussex Member) support Sussex. Men from all over our county fought and died together in the Royal Sussex Regt. and we all sing Sussex by the Sea! I will not denigrate any part of this wonderful place. Whenever I re-enter Sussex from travelling elsewhere, I don't care if it's "east" or "west", I always think "ah, back to civilisation" and will sing GOSBTS (much to my wife's long-suffering annoyance!). For me, the whole county feels like "home". You may tell them all that we stand or fall for SUSSEX by the Sea!:ascarf:

Uckfield is not civilised,it is full of cretins.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There IS no boundary; no East, no West, no City of Brighton and Hove; it's ALL Sussex! Our cricket fans (I'm a Sussex Member) support Sussex. Men from all over our county fought and died together in the Royal Sussex Regt. and we all sing Sussex by the Sea! I will not denigrate any part of this wonderful place. Whenever I re-enter Sussex from travelling elsewhere, I don't care if it's "east" or "west", I always think "ah, back to civilisation" and will sing GOSBTS (much to my wife's long-suffering annoyance!). For me, the whole county feels like "home". You may tell them all that we stand or fall for SUSSEX by the Sea!:ascarf:
Brilliant post. Sums up how I feel. I love Britain more than the rest of the world, England more than Britain and Sussex more than anything. When I lived in Lancashire, I felt stifled, the water was dry, the food was tasteless, the air was thick and the beer was unsatisfying. I am so glad I moved back and that my lot fell in a fair ground.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

FFS. I'm not even originally FROM Sussex but that nearly made me blub (been here for 25 years, my kids were born here, spend half my spare time on the Downs and no plans to move anywhere else, ever)

The sight that always grabs me is travelling back on the commute from London as the train goes over the Balcombe viaduct. It's that precise moment I feel I'm home - surrounded by rolling hills and mostly greenery. Magnificent.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I can't believe all this "East Sussex", "West Sussex" cobblers.
This is just as silly as asking which MP's constituency is best.

"East Sussex", "West Sussex" are just areas invented for the purposes of Local Government, I don't know why people base their geographical location on which bodies are in charge of filling potholes?! These areas have no history, heritage or culture; they can be changed at a drop of a hat, just look up north. There are plans to combine East Sussex Council, West Sussex Council and Surrey Council to create a large Local Authority. Where's your "East Sussex" and "West Sussex" then?!

Fortunately, the traditional county of Sussex still exists, along with her traditional boundaries; the government have confirmed this over and over again throughout the years. In fact this was confirmed when County Councils were created in 1888. So there is something to base a permanent local identity on.

But for some reason over the years there's been a geographical rebranding of Britain. I think we've forgotten who we are. If this was a football club we'd all be up in arms!!

The rebrand of Sussex to "East Sussex", "West Sussex" etc is the equivalent to a football club being rebranded "Hull Tigers" for example, we lose a part of who we are; except for some reason people don't give it two thoughts putting these names on their address! You can't enter an eastern village or town in Sussex without being greeted with the propaganda which is the red shield of East Sussex County Council. A rebrand! How is this any different than for example Vincent Tan making Cardiff City players wear red at Home instead of traditional blue?!

If someone suggested we should wear Red and White stripes and sing 'East Sussex by the Sea' they'd be told where to go! We defend our history, heritage, culture and brand of our football club, they mean something, so why can't we all do it for our county? SUSSEX!

The county motto is "We Wunt be Druv", Sussaxon Dialect for "We won't be pushed around", well let's not bloody well let our county get pushed around and rebranded! Local Authorities come and go, but there'll always be a Sussex!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I thought the border went through Southwick?

The border runs exactly between Portslade and Southwick. I used to live in Stanley Road, Portslade, when I was growing up, and the border ran along a path to the east of the allotments, where all the electricity substations and pylons are. It continues across the Old Shoreham Road, up the donkey path to the Downs. Southwick is most definitely West Sussex and Portslade is East Sussex.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear

This captures how I feel about our home county beautifully. It has a diverse character but its very unique with a strong sense of place. When you move away its a hard place to leave. I quite literally need a fix every so often. I've lived away for 27 years now but travel back to see family 3 or 4 times a year. Every time I cross the border into Sussex I smile and I too sing GOSBTS but mostly in my head. The Balcombe viaduct gets plenty of renditions, the M23 north of Crawley and so did Gatwick Airport until they stopped direct flights from Newcastle. I love it that I'm not alone!! This friday I'll be on the train from Victoria - ETA to Sussex about 9.20pm if anyone wants to sing along. If not we can belt it at the match on Saturday :albion2:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was born in the east of the county, bur have lived in the west most of my life.
I could have had a married quarter in Portsmouth when I was in the navy, but instead chose to commute down there ,4.45 train in the morning, so i could still live in Sussex. And, there was no way my children were going to be born in Hampshire, or any where outside of Sussex for that matter.
And every one of us when giving our address, it should just be Sussex, not East Sussex, or West Sussex.

Just Sussex

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was born in the east of the county, bur have lived in the west most of my life.
I could have had a married quarter in Portsmouth when I was in the navy, but instead chose to commute down there ,4.45 train in the morning, so i could still live in Sussex. And, there was no way my children were going to be born in Hampshire, or any where outside of Sussex for that matter.
And every one of us when giving our address, it should just be Sussex, not East Sussex, or West Sussex.

Just Sussex

Extraordinary.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is, but I always heard it as

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred
Strong in't arm and thick in't 'ead.
Funnily enough I only heard the Yorkshire version a few years ago. When I was growing up, my mum's family, who are from Halland, used the Sussex version.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here