Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Internet Banking

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Switch to a bank that doesn't outsource their call centres to India? I'm with the coop and Santander and get a Brit every time, on the very rare occasions I need to phone them up.

Two words- First Direct!!

Best customer service time after time. And not a branch in sight (albeit obviously part of HSBC).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It’s not so much that......the compo is paid to shut the complaint down quickly. It’s much better to do that rather than let it escalate, get reported to the regulators, referred to the Ombudsman etc. That’s a right ballache for the banks.

Absolutely correct. Even 3 years ago any case that went to the Ombudsman cost a bank £600 regardless of the outcome. They desperately don't want cases referred.

The culture that seems to say 'let's pay' rather than 'let's fix' is symptomatic of the layers of ineptitude ... years of inside experience trying to break through that with virtually zero success

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Funnily enough Metro Bank are opening branches which are open 7 days a week. I've no idea if they are any good.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course internet banking is quick and is the best option a lot of the time but if I have the time I pop into my branch. You'd be amazed how much kinder and how much preferred service you get if they know your face. Nobody ever hassles me to go online when I go into my branch. Love it. It's important in these times of faceless transactions to keep it personal as and when you can.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Not sure why bank staff are so desperate to push people out of their branches onto the internet, just makes it more likely their own branch goes, and their job with it

They probably don't have a choice.
It's a nightmare for small businesses who pay big charges to have a bank account. I don't believe the internet can give them the change they require for their till's float yet.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Funnily enough I had cause to use telephone banking yesterday after getting nowhere with the Natwest online support centre. I started making calls at approx 11am and I think I finally had a resolution at about 16:30, well half a resolution, still awaiting another half of a refund. If i'd popped across to the bank it would probably have been sorted in about 5 mins.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You'd be amazed how much kinder and how much preferred service you get if they know your face.

What service do you need?

On both a personal and business banking level, I can't recall the last time I needed any form of service that could be supplied at different levels. It must be many years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What service do you need?

On both a personal and business banking level, I can't recall the last time I needed any form of service that could be supplied at different levels. It must be many years.

That is the point, I don't need any service that can't be provided online but I like to go into my branch if I have the time. The odd money transfer, paying some cash in etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That is the point, I don't need any service that can't be provided online but I like to go into my branch if I have the time. The odd money transfer, paying some cash in etc.

Sorry, my point was this bit: "how much preferred service you get if they know your face".

I can't think of any service I've had or needed which could have been "preferred" in some way.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
An example. On one of my accounts that I had neglected for a while (totally my own fault) I hadn't realised that some charges had been applied and were accruing. I overhauled my paperwork one day, clocked the state of the account, rang up and got no quarter at all, pay up. Which was fair enough. I popped along to the bank, spoke to the manager who waived all the charges and closed the unused account for me there and then. Because I'd seen him mst weeks since moving here. Nice guy. Staff in branch have a lot more authority than most people realise.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two words- First Direct!!

Best customer service time after time. And not a branch in sight (albeit obviously part of HSBC).

Same here. Been with them since their start in the mid-90's, with just telephone banking originally. I haven't had one problem with FD in all that time, there's seldom a queue if you need to call, all British call centres where you can fully undertstand their operative's diction and you can use HSBC branches if need be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In my local branch there is tea and coffee and fresh water you can help yourself to, the staff know the customers and it's not a bad experience at all. Okay, I wouldn't want to spend too much time in their but as banks go, it's friendly. Also good for the charity shops to deposit all their change. Can't do that online.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Same here. Been with them since their start in the mid-90's, with just telephone banking originally. I haven't had one problem with FD in all that time, there's seldom a queue if you need to call, all British call centres where you can fully undertstand their operative's diction and you can use HSBC branches if need be.

And voice recognition, so no going through security.

Quick easy and effortless. Always lovely staff.

I use online too.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Have you ever tried to pay in a cheque via your phone or Ipad? Yes, I do still get cheques (lucky me) HMRC sent me one, two years ago.

Why on earth would you request HMRC pay you by cheque? Both Mrs SS and I have to do Self Assessments each year and nearly always one of us has overpaid tax - we provide our bank sort-code and account and the money gets paid in via the [same-day] faster payments method. Getting to a branch to pay a cheque in is a bit old fashioned these days and mostly avoidable [plus delay in funds actually being credited/cleared into your account too]

Yeah but a lot of people either don't realise that (I'm not speaking to someone in India about it' etc), or want to 'speak to a human face to face'. It's a percetion thing - complains are resolved far quicker through the dedicated centres.

Also, its a lot harder for them to fob you off with "someone will call you back" (and never does) face to face. Once you have physical contact with a human you have someone to "blame" :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here