Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

Obviously it doesn't take much but that Danny Dyer outburst must have the Brexiteers really confused. One of their heroes speaks out against Brexit!! Church bells ringing across Brexit land today hahaha!

Can't stand the bloke, but keep on stereotyping. My heroes are tony bloom, Elon musk and Farage.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Obviously it doesn't take much but that Danny Dyer outburst must have the Brexiteers really confused. One of their heroes speaks out against Brexit!! Church bells ringing across Brexit land today hahaha!

It's rumoured that Terri from Eastbourne will basically be proposing freedom of movement for workers by another name, perhaps 'Settled Status', after Brexit, hence immigration can't be mentioned in The UK white paper as she doesn't want to let the cat of the bag yet and upset Brexit voters who wanted Unskilled Work Visas for nice young men from Afghanistan and Somalia instead as it's fairer.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
What a glorious week ...

combined with wall to wall beautiful British sunshine ... plus Germany (see 'sick man of Europe') exiting the WC, England securing a tactically astute result v Belguim while the #teameu #guardianistas #teamcorporateelites usual suspects gather on here for their daily therapy session high fiving each other :lolol:

PastelCloudyGelding-size_restricted.gif

Tick tock ..

The Pub Landlord is alive and kicking.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Perhaps when you've been to a Job Centre yourself and claimed benefits and see how things work there, you might know what you were talking about.

How do you know i ever haven't?

Since we are talking about first time into this country for jobseeking jobseekers though and not those who have been here a while and find themselves unemployed at short notice. I wouldn’t be so patronising as to presume they arrive here with only a couple of farthings to scratch together and already be on the breadline as desperate poor Europeans. Most sensible people moving to another country have a plan which would include their personal finances, I would imagine doubly so if you are going to the expense of moving to another country and don’t have confirmed employment. I don’t see why EU jobseekers should be different from most sensible people.

You would in addition be very naïve to believe that people who are allowed to get themselves in the country without a job do not recognise the temptation of the undocumented black market to supplement them whilst jobseeking.

It's rumoured that Terri from Eastbourne will basically be proposing freedom of movement for workers by another name, perhaps 'Settled Status', after Brexit, hence immigration can't be mentioned in The UK white paper as she doesn't want to let the cat of the bag yet and upset Brexit voters who wanted Unskilled Work Visas for nice young men from Afghanistan and Somalia instead as it's fairer.

You do seem to have a bit of a beef with people from these countries. Hypothetically, if there was a reintroduction of the six month temporary visa scheme for agricultural workers, and after all the checks, including on criminal background it was seen that the majority of people issued work visas were from Afghan or Somalia rather than European countries, what would be your reasoning for your objections, I`d love to know, why in these circumstances you would see Afghans and Somalians as a negative. It wouldnt bother me one iota, cant see how it would bother the other leavers either who want managed migration.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Can't stand the bloke, but keep on stereotyping. My heroes are tony bloom, Elon musk and Farage.

Churchill, Johnny Frost, Bobby Moore
Certainly not Danny Dyer as a hero, even though I don’t dislike the cheeky chap its a ludicrous stereotyping suggestion only someone with a chip on their shoulder could propose.
I see he called Cameron a tw@t live on air, leavers have been calling Cameron, remainer in chief, far worse on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You started this discussion with a ridiculous sweeping statement of 'anachronisistic UK Passport Office' and then continued to repeat it despite others having experiences otherwise. Why should I be surprised though ? Your default position is always the UK is shit. To be frank it's tedious that you hold that stance when you know full well some things the UK does badly but other things it does very well. In this case the UK Passport here in the UK and certainly at the Paris Embassy is anything but 'anachronisistic'. So in that respect, you did indeed make it up as you labelled the whole service anachronisistic. In particular the UK based renewal process is amazing ( you do need to have a photo registered for bio-metric purposes for it to work at it's most efficient ). I could indeed have had five new passports in 5 hours in Paris. So maybe it's a problem with the Germany based UK Embassy. I suggest you make a complaint to them. You could of course come back to Blighty to apply but than you'd have to admit that the Passport Office isn't as bad as you've claimed.

Can you explain this 5 hour renewal service though? What did you do? Who did you speak to? How did you approach them? How did you apply? I’m genuinely 100% interested in this as the missus needs hers renewed. When I spoke to the UK Passport Office last October about my renewal they said it would take a few weeks and involve sending my passport in, and this the process irrespective of which country you are in as there a no passport issuing offices outside of the U.K. If Paris Embassy offers a different service to what the U.K. Passport Office do I’d love to know. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Churchill, Johnny Frost, Bobby Moore

How on earth could an ardent Brexiteer pick Churchill? The guy who first proposed a 'united states of Europe' and the politician most responsible for the European Court of Human Rights. Apart from Heath, he was probably the most pro-European Tory in post-war Europe.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can you explain this 5 hour renewal service though? What did you do? Who did you speak to? How did you approach them? How did you apply? I’m genuinely 100% interested in this as the missus needs hers renewed. When I spoke to the UK Passport Office last October about my renewal they said it would take a few weeks and involve sending my passport in, and this the process irrespective of which country you are in as there a no passport issuing offices outside of the U.K. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

You have to go the office in person and be interviewed. I've done this at the office next to Victoria station. I think you book an appointment these days but it used to be that you had to turn up and wait your turn.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You have to go the office in person and be interviewed. I've done this at the office next to Victoria station. I think you book an appointment these days but it used to be that you had to turn up and wait your turn.

I know this as this is what I did last October. [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is suggesting that there are U.K. Passport issuing/renewal offices outside of the U.K. This could be of use to the wife. A nice romantic weekend in Paris and a new passport!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
How on earth could an ardent Brexiteer pick Churchill? The guy who first proposed a 'united states of Europe' and the politician most responsible for the European Court of Human Rights. Apart from Heath, he was probably the most pro-European Tory in post-war Europe.

You would be mistaken to think i admire him based solely on his thoughts concerning Europe, or judge him solely in the context of what The European Union looked like in 2016 , an institution that didnt even exist during his lifetime

Its worth noting that in his Zurich speech where he proposed a united states of Europe he was doing so where Us, the USA and the Russians were outside of it, looking in as friends and sponsors hoping for its success as lead by France and Germany.

"In all this urgent work, France and Germany must take the lead together.
Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America, and I trust Soviet Russia - for then indeed all would be well - must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live and shine"

Elsewhere he wrote.

"We see nothing but good and hope in a richer, freer, more contented European commonalty. But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed. And should European statesmen address us in the words which were used of old, ‘Wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or the captain of the host?’, we should reply, with the Shunammite woman: ‘I dwell among mine own people.'”

He was keen in later life for closer economic ties, but we all know The European Coal and Steal Community and the European Economic Community amongst western European countries at an earlier time are not reflective in any way of the much larger political union of the EU we were voting on in 2016.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can you explain this 5 hour renewal service though? What did you do? Who did you speak to? How did you approach them? How did you apply? I’m genuinely 100% interested in this as the missus needs hers renewed. When I spoke to the UK Passport Office last October about my renewal they said it would take a few weeks and involve sending my passport in, and this the process irrespective of which country you are in as there a no passport issuing offices outside of the U.K. If Paris Embassy offers a different service to what the U.K. Passport Office do I’d love to know. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I phoned up the embassy and explained I needed replacement passports. Was offered a same day appointment but selected one for the next day. Went to the embassy, filled out the paperwork, used the photobooth inside the embassy and paid the fees. This was all completed in a couple of hours and I was told I could have the passports in about three more hours but they needed written agreement from the kids other parents. This took until the next morning to get but we had our passports just before midday the following day.

larus

I phoned up the embassy and explained I needed replacement passports. Was offered a same day appointment but selected one for the next day. Went to the embassy, filled out the paperwork, used the photobooth inside the embassy and paid the fees. This was all completed in a couple of hours and I was told I could have the passports in about three more hours but they needed written agreement from the kids other parents. This took until the next morning to get but we had our passports just before midday the following day.

Wouldn’t happen in Germany :whistle:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How do you know i ever haven't?

Since we are talking about first time into this country for jobseeking jobseekers though and not those who have been here a while and find themselves unemployed at short notice. I wouldn’t be so patronising as to presume they arrive here with only a couple of farthings to scratch together and already be on the breadline as desperate poor Europeans. Most sensible people moving to another country have a plan which would include their personal finances, I would imagine doubly so if you are going to the expense of moving to another country and don’t have confirmed employment. I don’t see why EU jobseekers should be different from most sensible people.

You would in addition be very naïve to believe that people who are allowed to get themselves in the country without a job do not recognise the temptation of the undocumented black market to supplement them whilst jobseeking.

Whenever I've had the misfortune of going to a Job Centre Plus in my life, I've never really seen anyone I can recall who was:
A. Foreign
B. Speaking with a public school accent and wearing red trousers, so again I'm going to assume you haven't and therefore you don't really don't know what you're talking about. Alternatively, if you have ever claimed JSA what was your last Claimant Commitment like set up with your adviser? Did you think it fair enough?

You do seem to have a bit of a beef with people from these countries. Hypothetically, if there was a reintroduction of the six month temporary visa scheme for agricultural workers, and after all the checks, including on criminal background it was seen that the majority of people issued work visas were from Afghan or Somalia rather than European countries, what would be your reasoning for your objections, I`d love to know, why in these circumstances you would see Afghans and Somalians as a negative. It wouldnt bother me one iota, cant see how it would bother the other leavers either who want managed migration.

Hypothetically it wouldn't bother me either, as I don't have a beef with people from these countries. (When's the much heralded Australian style points system for immigration being introduced incidentally? Vote Leave were shouting that from the rooftops 2 years ago. Anytime soon?) But if you want to pretend that other leave voters, such as in Lincolnshire, would be happy with large numbers of individuals from developing countries like Somalia and Afghanistan in their community, when they're already unhappy with Eastern Europeans, fine. I'd love to know how 'all the checks, including on criminal background' would work in somewhere like Afghanistan though. There's a reason the youth mobility visa is limited to Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan now - I'm sure you can work it out. It might happen, but I somewhat doubt it as 'negotiations' with The EU may well dictate something different, plus we're not leaving the continent of Europe, but if a post-Brexit utopia of opening up immigration to the whole world equally was implemented, have a think about the cost, administration, staff etc required both centrally here in The UK and at all our Embassies, High Commissions etc across the world to do it all. Bearing in mind too that most of the world is developing and in developing countries corruption and fraud is somewhat rife and a fact of daily life. For example before working holiday visas were removed from developing countries, I can recall the list of banks The British High Commission in Gaborone would not accept from Batswana nationals wishing to apply for one due to bank statements from them being easy to forge and certify and therefore pretend you've got the means. It was quite extensive.

So if you consider the cost and resources required in administering a global immigration system with the necessity of a deal with The EU, the fact we're still going to be a European country after Brexit, that EU member countries are developed whereas the majority of the rest of the world isn't, that the 'global' Tier 5 visa is already biased to developed countries against developing ones....................I think there's probably some substance in the rumour that basically freedom of movement for workers after Brexit will be offered to The EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here