Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Brighton Kop

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You need to register to read. Why would a forum do that? I'm out.

Hadn’t realized that. Was reading on his phone on the train. Apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
WTF did I just watch?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Got talking to a bloke last week at a kids' match. I asked him which team he supported. "Liverpool".

"Oh yeah, I should have guessed from your accent," I said. (He was talking in broad Sussex/Home Counties.)

"Well, I picked my team when I was six, and you've got to stick with your decision, haven't you?" he replied.

Why, exactly? When you have absolutely no connection to the city or its traditions and just catch the odd game on Sky?

I also enjoy chats with people who, after they tell you they support Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, assure you that they started following them "before they were good". But funny that you don't see kids today randomly latching on to Walsall, Gillingham or Wycombe Wanderers.

Being a football supporter makes very little logical sense most of the time. But the best argument I can put forward is being part of something that brings a community together, and you can only get that by supporting your local club, whatever league they play in.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just watched it. To be honest, I have no problem with it at all.

Sure, I'd rather local people support their local team, but many people choose their team for a few good reasons - family connections; sheer bloody-mindedness; be expatriate; lack of a local team.

We have to remember that we lost a generation of fans here when we were at Gillingham and then Withdean. People picked a club then and many picked Liverpool.

Around the world there are groups of Seagulls. Hell, there was even a Forza Seagulls group a few years back and I remember NSC welcoming them.

At the end of the day, this group are trying to do something good - community, friendship etc. I have no problem. Hopefully the second result they always look for is the Brighton result. And, over time, this group will diminish and be replaced by Blue and White as we continue to build our place in the footballing fabric of society.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I actually feel quite sad for these plebs. They genuinely have absolutely no idea what supporting a team is about, their only connection with football is a tv show and buying the latest shirt.?They will never know what it’s like to feel a genuine connection with a football team.

Exactly. Thats just it isn't it. They THINK they have. They're just going through the motions, flatlining. Enjoying an element of comradeship with like-minded weak willed plastics, but without even coming close to what following a team is all about.

They'll never really "get it". Not really.

This. I mean WTF. Where is the atmosphere shouting at a TV screen. Hopelessly trying to create in a pub in Brighton, an atmosphere that they have never been to, seen to heard. Kn0bs.

Just to play devil's advocate for a bit, so that means anyone who has never been to see an England game live can have an emotional attachment to watching them with a group of mates in the pub?

Are those Indian guys that watched our game against Everton not allowed to be BHAFC fans?

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was a ****ing odd little film. Reminded of That Peter Kay Thing. Made me feel a bit melancholy. They do that ritual stuff to stroll down to the K&Q! Paaahhhaha. One of them even says something like " I love it when you walk there and yuo start to see pockets of fans appearing". You what?

One said something like "You don't have to be from a place or to have even visitied it to feel affiliated with it". Uhm Yes, you do. Utterly bizarre. I've not been into the pub for about 8 years. It's a shitty griefhole.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Just to play devil's advocate for a bit, so that means anyone who has never been to see an England game live can have an emotional attachment to watching them with a group of mates in the pub?

Are those Indian guys that watched our game against Everton not allowed to be BHAFC fans?

Personally I feel that’s a different situation, but I do take your point. Choosing a national team to support isn’t a choice, if your English you support England, but from my own point of view people struggle to have the same connection with their national team as they do with their ‘local’ team. With regards to the fans in India, they are more than welcome to support the Albion, but I’d hope that they also have a local team that they go and support too. My point being is that football isn’t a tv show, sure support who you like, but there is simply no way a resident of Brighton whom supports Liverpool, but has never been north of Watford, will never have the same emotional connection with their chosen club as a Brighton (or any club) fan that actually attends games. You can’t mirror the emotions of joy or despair, of greatness or failure from watching a tv screen. The best thing about supporting a team is being there, feeling a part of it, believing your contributing with your singing, that’s irreplaceable to me. Just my opinion though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

[MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] has summed it up very well. You don't really "choose" to support England. If you're english, they're foisted on you. And I certainly do support England (on TV - I've only seen them 3 or 4 times at Wembley). Its my country after all, and I'd love them to be successful. 1990 and 1996 was epic. But I don't feel the same kind of attachment with England as I do with the Albion, never could.

As for those Indian guys, they don't care as much about the Albion as we do, because they've never had the emotional investment, or experienced the history, or been on the journey. I'd wager that they'd never even heard of us till August when we rocked up in the Prem. Someone gave them some shirts and flags and plonked them in front of a telly to watch one of our games - that's the extend of their Albion experience. Hope they enjoyed it, but I wouldn't class them as being fans.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Personally I feel that’s a different situation, but I do take your point. Choosing a national team to support isn’t a choice, if your English you support England, but from my own point of view people struggle to have the same connection with their national team as they do with their ‘local’ team. You can’t mirror the emotions of joy or despair, of greatness or failure from watching a tv screen. The best thing about supporting a team is being there, feeling a part of it, believing your contributing with your singing, that’s irreplaceable to me. Just my opinion though.

[MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] has summed it up very well. You don't really "choose" to support England. If you're english, they're foisted on you. And I certainly do support England (on TV - I've only seen them 3 or 4 times at Wembley). Its my country after all, and I'd love them to be successful. 1990 and 1996 was epic. But I don't feel the same kind of attachment with England as I do with the Albion, never could.

Thanks for the responses, and I agree on the whole, nothing will ever top being in the stadium when we beat Wigan and made it to the prem and running onto the pitch with my son, or the other promotions witnessed in person, same as the lows of the losses in play-off games Vs Palace, Wednesday and Notts County.

However some of my favourite footballing moments have been on the TV watching England with mates, ripping Germany apart 5-1 and Beckham's free-kick vs Greece to name a couple. Enjoying moments like that with like-minded individuals can still have an amazing feeling.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thanks for the responses, and I agree on the whole, nothing will ever top being in the stadium when we beat Wigan and made it to the prem and running onto the pitch with my son, or the other promotions witnessed in person, same as the lows of the losses in play-off games Vs Palace, Wednesday and Notts County.

However some of my favourite footballing moments have been on the TV watching England with mates, ripping Germany apart 5-1 and Beckham's free-kick vs Greece to name a couple. Enjoying moments like that with like-minded individuals can still have an amazing feeling.

Agreed, I've had some truly memorable (and desolate) experiences watching England on the TV too. But then I'm english, so I have a proper reason for following them. I have a genuine emotional investment in England, its not chosen, contrived or manufactured. Its in my BLOOD !

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Yep, the irony lost on them it seems. They can 'relate' somehow to a club 300 miles away whose fans would no doubt rip the absolute shit out of them for who they are, yet there's a club round the corner with some of the most accepting fans in the country.

We don't have a european cup though, so you know, it balances out I guess.

Lovely peice, put together well.

However, anyone who has supported the Albion from the lower leagues all know he kids at school who weren’t Brighton fans but now are ST holders etc.

Let’s put it down to being glory hunters, one good thing is seeing more and more Brighton fans of a young age. Something we had in the past not seen.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I know one of the guys in this group. He's a top man.

We just have to accept that this is the product of us being shit for so many years. Kids now will grow up and support the albion. Kids when I was at school all supported Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea. Simple as that.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am having a few arguments with some of them on the comments page, if anyone else fancies WADING in to mock the glory hunters then please do.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I am having a few arguments with some of them on the comments page, if anyone else fancies WADING in to mock the glory hunters then please do.

Comments where?

I only had a quick browse of the Youtube comments and they were already taking an absolute GRILLING from all and sundry, so I didn't feel it necessary to rub salt in a wound.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Feh, I couldn't give two f**ks what team a bunch of strangers have chosen to support for whatever reason.

I must admit that's my view as well; why do some people get so worked up over what teams other people support? It's not just football though: beer, comedy, music, you say what you like and someone else will hate you for it. Yes they are sad tossers, but so what? Anyway, we don't need or want any more fans - it's hard enough getting tickets at the moment as it is.

(Having said that if Liverpool win on Saturday and any southern-born Liverpool fan celebrates in front of me .... well I shall give them a stern talking-to.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here