Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Pritchard

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
The trouble with the Premier League is that it does not differentiate between outstanding and mediocre. Both ends of the spectrum are financially rewarded.

The knock-on is that players and agents don't really have to worry. The most bang average player can have a dire season, get relegated and still get picked up by a team next season. And on and on and on.

When will the day roll around that football as a business is treated like literally every other business on the planet (except maybe banks) wherein poorly performing workers are fired, not given f**king pay-rises.

thatll be the season we get promoted obviously

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Alternatively, without parachute payments clubs who get into the Premier League may not bother to compete in it. You wouldn't risk staying in that division by signing Premier League standard players on Premier League wages if there is a chance you will be back in the Championship in a years time and financially crippled by it. As a result, you could end up with all three teams who go up coming straight back down every season. See Burnley and Blackpool, both of whom have taken this approach and couldn't last more than a season in the division.

A similar thing happens in rugby - the team that get promoted into the Premiership every year have no financial assistance to full back on and so rather than bankrupting themselves, they simply stick with a second tier wage model and end up being relegated. In the case with London Welsh a few seasons ago, by losing massively every week.

You can sign Premier League players without being mugged off by parasitic agents and mercenaries. See: Leicester.

Parachute payments were not intended to enable clubs to yoyo back and forth between the leagues; but they are and this is now the landscape we find ourselves unable to compete in.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Why not stipulate parachute payments can only be spent on existing players wages not to fund new players and wages? Simples - next problem.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why not stipulate parachute payments can only be spent on existing players wages not to fund new players and wages? Simples - next problem.

Conceptually, parachute payments are a good idea and serve a purpose in bridging a massive discrepancy in revenue between divisions.

The problem is they are just far too high, and in my opinion, last far too long for what is perceived to be a consolidatory ‎period.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Conceptually, parachute payments are a good idea and serve a purpose in bridging a massive discrepancy in revenue between divisions.

The problem is they are just far too high, and in my opinion, last far too long for what is perceived to be a consolidatory ‎period.

Should just be a one off payment of like £10M to cover wages for first 6 months before offloading them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
If Pritchard signs for Norwich because he wants more money, then he's a silly tit who doesn't know what's good for him, and we'll have made a lucky escape - we don't want his sort in our squad. If he signs for us, then he's a very astute young man, who refused to put money ahead of everything else, and he'll be welcomed with open arms. So it's a win-win situation for us. Anyway, having done a little research into young Oliver, I actually think we've done very well there, and we should be celebrating that.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
What does he think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well happy with the Norwood signing. Providing everyone stays put, our central midfield will be exceptionally strong. A bit miffed if Pritchard goes to Norwich but if he does then so be it. I've always found Norwich to be an utterly tedious football club with delusions of grandeur. This saga hasn't particularly changed my view. There are other players out there and probably for less than £8million.
Oh I agree about Norwich, they are basically a successful Yeovil.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With the initials AP I guess he was always bound to end up at Norwich.

Butter my arse! :(

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oh I agree about Norwich, they are basically a successful Yeovil.

Very well put. One of those ends-of-the-earth, back-of-beyond clubs that most people (and certainly most football writers) would rather quietly disappeared.

See also: Swansea, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough, Hull.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
This may still happen, we usually secure the targets we are after but the news being released to the press by the players agent may scupper any deal here. He hasn't signed for anybody yet so still has options.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
This may still happen, we usually secure the targets we are after but the news being released to the press by the players agent may scupper any deal here. He hasn't signed for anybody yet so still has options.

Not certain the club would even have him now. Doesn't seem to fit with the ethos of the team if he is happy to agree a deal and then disappear overnight. Not for us I imagine.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Very well put. One of those ends-of-the-earth, back-of-beyond clubs that most people (and certainly most football writers) would rather quietly disappeared.

See also: Swansea, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough, Hull.

Jesus I thought some Southampton fans were patronising. I'd be interested in that survey of football writers and which teams they want to 'disappear'. My lot AFCB might be 'too small' for the PL, but what have Swansea done wrong?

Norwich are a level above Brighton, and always have been.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
He still hasn't had a medical at Norwich yet. Could be today

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Jesus I thought some Southampton fans were patronising. I'd be interested in that survey of football writers and which teams they want to 'disappear'. My lot AFCB might be 'too small' for the PL, but what have Swansea done wrong?

Norwich are a level above Brighton, and always have been.

Seeing as [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] IS a football writer, and I am going to presume you are not, I'm going with NAN on this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here