Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country pub for food near Arundel ish

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Regularly stay with relatives who live in Coldwaltham so have become very familiar with some of the excellent pubs in the area.

Agree with the plaudits for The George in Burpham and The Sportsman at Amberely, but a big NO to The Black Rabbit in Arundel.
I'd also add to the recommendations ; The Halfway Bridge Inn at Lodsworth (A272 between Petworth & Midhurst), Horse Guards Inn at Tillington (A272 just west of Petworth)
and current favourite, The Welldiggers Arms in Low Heath (A283 between Fittleworth & Petworth.

To be honest, drinking & eating at these mid-West Sussex pubs is reason enough in itself to warrant a trip to the UK !!

View attachment 86242

The Welldiggers Arms

Known locally ,when I used to live in Billingshurst anyway, as "Testicle Teds" because a long time previous owner once had a shorts malfunction. However, it's a very good shout but I personally haven't visited since it's recent renovations. Will give it a go this coming weekend IF I can get in. It used to be very popular and I can only see it getting more so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most, if not all.

It's a glorified Harvester charging simpleton's top end money for low grade food, £11 for Ham Egg and Chips, please.

Fair play to them, I don't have a problem with that policy.
I just don't enjoy the thought of been squeezed onto a tiny table, unable to hear my company or for that matter myself think.

To me, in the Summer, it's a 'stand at the bar waving a £20 note' kind of pub.
Not the highest of praise.

Sounds exactly like the Anchor at Barcombe (thin sliced ham, cheap frozen chips) . You're paying for the riverside setting, the food is 1970s pub grub at best at 2017 London prices.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've not been to the Black Rabbit since I moved back to Sussex but it always struck me as a place that was incredibly lazy, relying on the location and not really bothering to put the effort in with anything else.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've not been to the Black Rabbit since I moved back to Sussex but it always struck me as a place that was incredibly lazy, relying on the location and not really bothering to put the effort in with anything else.
As said I don't really have a problem with that, they have a cash cow and they're flogging it.
TBH in the same position I doubt any of us would do anything different.

For me the problem comes when the clientele try to convince others the pub is something it clearly isn't.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The George at Burpham is as good as any imo.

The Woodman's Arms on the A27 near Angmering serves good old fashioned Pub food

The George and Dragon at Houghton is excellent

Both of these lovely. The George in Houghton is nicer if you want a proper sit down meal rather than a meal in a pub.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Regularly stay with relatives who live in Coldwaltham so have become very familiar with some of the excellent pubs in the area.

Agree with the plaudits for The George in Burpham and The Sportsman at Amberely, but a big NO to The Black Rabbit in Arundel.
I'd also add to the recommendations ; The Halfway Bridge Inn at Lodsworth (A272 between Petworth & Midhurst), Horse Guards Inn at Tillington (A272 just west of Petworth)
and current favourite, The Welldiggers Arms in Low Heath (A283 between Fittleworth & Petworth.

To be honest, drinking & eating at these mid-West Sussex pubs is reason enough in itself to warrant a trip to the UK !!

View attachment 86242

The Welldiggers Arms

This Welldiggers looks nice. I shall give it a go

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Food was not very nice yesterday. Pretty rank ordinary to be honest .

Sister worked there for a few months and she said she would never eat there again.

Lovely location but as everyone has already said this hasn't been good for 25 years. Overpriced tourist trap.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Known locally ,when I used to live in Billingshurst anyway, as "Testicle Teds" because a long time previous owner once had a shorts malfunction. However, it's a very good shout but I personally haven't visited since it's recent renovations. Will give it a go this coming weekend IF I can get in. It used to be very popular and I can only see it getting more so.

Testicle Ted :bowdown: a legend in his own lunchtime, He was a decent bloke, very much a bloke who loved being the Centre of attention, plenty of charisma, and an impressive appetite for the alcoholic fayre behind his bar. Also served the most astonishing steaks and seafood.

The style and menu has somewhat changed from his time, immediately after the refurb it was getting well deserved rave reviews, but very much as a restaurant, don't bother going there just for a drink. We've had superb meals there, pricey, and very much in the gastro pub/restaurant style, which they did impeccably well. I think it changed hands recently but people I know still rate it highly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sister worked there for a few months and she said she would never eat there again.

Lovely location but as everyone has already said this hasn't been good for 25 years. Overpriced tourist trap.
Exactly in it's heyday, about the time brick mobile phones came out, it was excellent. The only reason I mention mobile phones was because it was there that I first I saw people posing with them :smile:

It has been living off it's reputation and location for years. Didn't the original owners buy and run the place beside the station?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Testicle Ted :bowdown: a legend in his own lunchtime, He was a decent bloke, very much a bloke who loved being the Centre of attention, plenty of charisma, and an impressive appetite for the alcoholic fayre behind his bar. Also served the most astonishing steaks and seafood.

The style and menu has somewhat changed from his time, immediately after the refurb it was getting well deserved rave reviews, but very much as a restaurant, don't bother going there just for a drink. We've had superb meals there, pricey, and very much in the gastro pub/restaurant style, which they did impeccably well. I think it changed hands recently but people I know still rate it highly.

I'm happy at least one other NSCer knows him as "Testicle Ted", It makes me happy.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Thanks to [MENTION=903]West Hoathly Seagull[/MENTION] I now want to eat a homemade burger with Cheesy Baconnaisup.{bacon, cheese, mayo, ketchup} in the http://www.royaloakhooksway.co.uk/index.html

It'll either make me :laugh: or :cry:

If you're worried about the calories, you could always cycle there. Mind you, that hill back up to the B2146 would be a bit of a beggar after you've wolfed that lot down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you're worried about the calories, you could always cycle there. Mind you, that hill back up to the B2146 would be a bit of a beggar after you've wolfed that lot down.
Done it many a time, just not with a blooming great big burger in my stomach.

Leaving South Harting heading south are the hardest climbs.
But the worst of all is descending the 's' bends, after the long climb to Harting Down and turning left straight into the 15% climb heading to (Straight Outta) Compton.

Possibly the hardest physical and technical bit of cycling to be done in West Sussex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers for this, I'm off down to meet family at the Amberley Heritage Museum, later on this month, so will check these two out :thumbsup:
You've not properly read the whole thread, have you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here