Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Predicting the Blues - Change the Scoring System?

PtB

Jul 6, 2003
Greetings! Welcome back to the world’s favourite football prediction game.

Once again, I am pleased to announce that Predicting the Blues will be based upon the results of all matches played by Brighton and Hove Albion.

I received a very lucrative offer from a Russian billionaire, who wanted me to move the game to a luxury hotel complex in west London. But, at considerable cost, Mr Knight made a counter-offer to keep the game in Brighton. And I am pleased to say that I have decided to stay with the mighty Seagulls.

Poor old Dick hopes you will all understand that he now has no further funds available for anything else whatsoever. But, hey! - you’ve got the world’s favourite football prediction game.

As the excitement builds, in anticipation of the first round, it’s time for a PtB Fans’ Forum.

Are you happy with the Rules?

Do you want any changes to the Scoring System?

This is what applied last year:-

Predicting the correct outcome of the game (home win, draw or away win) - ONE point

Correctly predicting the number of goals the ALBION will score - ONE point

Correctly predicting the number of goals the Albion's OPPONENTS will score - ONE point

Correctly predicting ALL OF THE ABOVE (ie being right) - TWO BONUS POINTS

This means that there is a maximum of FIVE points to be scored for each game.

Players will be ranked in an overall league table, calculated by taking the AVERAGE SCORE they have achieved for the games they have entered.

A minimum of EIGHT entries during the season will be necessary if you are to figure in the final league table.

Once they have joined, any player who misses SIX GAMES IN A ROW will be expelled from the competition, but will be permitted to rejoin at any time, although earlier results will be expunged.

Predictions are invited for all league and cup games. The score at the end of play (including any extra time played) will be the score that counts. Goals scored in a penalty shoot-out do not count.

All predictions must be posted BEFORE the scheduled kick-off time. NSC Time will apply to the competition, not GMT or BST or any other system that applies in the real world. This is a virtual competition that is worthless and has no prizes for any winners.

Any suggested changes will be carefully considered. Then I will make the final decision

Over to you.

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
Yup, all looks good to me!! Worked very well last season and look forward to it again!
:clap:

PtB

Jul 6, 2003
One or two people suggested last season that a prediction that got the margin of victory right should be given a bonus point, even if the details were wrong.

For example:-

Albion win 3-2

You have predicted an Albion win of 2-1. Under the present system, you score one point (for predicting the Albion victory).

Someone who predicts a 7-3 defeat will also get one point (for predicting that the Albion will score 3 goals).

Is this right? Or should you get two points (one for the Albion victory and one bonus point for the 1 goal margin)?

I seem to recall that Everest and the Laughing Bluebird both suggested something along these lines.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trigger said:
Oh yeah. i'd actually forgotten that i won last year. :lolol:

Still can't believe you got the crown the crown last yeat Trig. You only missed one game and I didn't miss any. You were below me at the time you forgot (towards the end of the season) yet you were jugged better???

Are you related to PTB:lolol:

Reckon I should be down at the Nelson on Saturday. See you there mate :drink:

PtB

Jul 6, 2003
For those who've forgotten - Last season's Final Report

It’s the end of the season. The time for winners to gloat and losers to be dignified in defeat.

And the time for the arguments to explode big time.

Forget the First Division. It was fun, but ultimately not the competition we’ll want to remember. Predicting the Blues is the big one!

And the winner is …… Who?

Well, it all depends. The original rules for the competition, dreamt up last August, said that “A minimum of EIGHT entries during the season will be necessary if you are to figure in the final league table”. So tough luck Marshy. You might have got the 2-1 scoreline at the Madjeski Stadium right. That gave you five points. But it was your only entry. Enough to put you on top of the Full Table. But not enough to be allowed anywhere near the Winner’s Podium.

PtB dabblers get nothing at the end of the day. What about the loyal players who have entered every week? They have their very own Super League. All four of them. They need to get out more. But full credit to Buzza. He’s at the top with an average of 1.15 points per game. Enough to get him 32nd place in the PtB Full Table. Does that make him a Winner? I think not. A loyal enough member of the League, perhaps, but he’s no more deserving of the Top Prize than Martin Hinshelwood is of the Manager of the Season Award. Sorry, mate. But thanks for sticking with us through thick and thin.

Simster sits at the top of the PtB Champions League, the elite group of players who have entered at least three-quarters of all games. He’s scored an average of 1.55 points per game – enough to put him in thirteenth place in the Full Table. That’s a pretty good performance, and includes seven completely correct forecasts. I’m tempted to declare him the Winner.

But the Original Rules (see above) say that the Winner should be the best player who has entered eight games or more. That must be The Jerk, with his average score of 2.08 points per game, spread over 13 entries. Good enough to be third in the Full Table, and it’s a score that includes five completely correct forecasts.

But there has been a better player than The Jerk this season. Step forward Josky, who has twice been eliminated under the “Miss Six Games and You’re Out” rule, and therefore doesn’t feature in the end of season Tables. But his record has been particularly impressive. Thirteen games played, just like The Jerk, but 29 points scored, 2 more than The Jerk – an overall average of 2.23 points per game.

So I find it difficult to declare The Jerk to be the Winner. But Josky has been eliminated.

Tell you what …. Let’s change the Rules. The accolade of PtB PLAYER OF THE SEASON goes to the Player who has scored more points overall than anyone else, as measured by a brand new Table, now unveiled for the very first time – The Predicting the Blues Masters’ League.

Forget the average score per game. The Masters’ League is decided on the basis of the total number of points scored across the whole season. And the WINNER is …

P.C.Beard, with 62 points from his 47 games entered. Second is perth seagull and third is Simster.

Well done to you all.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Format worked well, but how about a big f*** off trophy. :D

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Because we'd probably lose it on penalties like we normally do!
:(

PtB

Jul 6, 2003
El Presidente said:
Agree that an extra point should be given for the margin of victory
Cheers, El Presidente.

Just to round this topic off, here are the ...

... RULES FOR 2003/04

Predicting the correct outcome of the game (home win, draw or away win) - ONE point

Correctly predicting the number of goals the ALBION will score - ONE point

Correctly predicting the number of goals the Albion's OPPONENTS will score - ONE point

Correctly predicting the winning margin AND the winning team (or correctly predicting a DRAW) - ONE BONUS POINT

Correctly predicting ALL OF THE ABOVE (ie being right) - ONE EXTRA BONUS POINT

This means that there is a maximum of FIVE points to be scored for each game.

Players will be ranked in an overall league table, calculated by taking the AVERAGE SCORE they have achieved for the games they have entered.

A minimum of EIGHT entries during the season will be necessary if you are to figure in the final league table.

Once they have joined, any player who misses SIX GAMES IN A ROW will be expelled from the competition, but will be permitted to rejoin at any time, although earlier results will be expunged.

Predictions are invited for all league and cup games. The score at the end of play (including any extra time played) will be the score that counts. Goals scored in a penalty shoot-out do not count.

All predictions must be posted BEFORE the scheduled kick-off time. NSC Time will apply to the competition, not GMT or BST or any other system that applies in the real world. This is a virtual competition that is worthless and has no prizes for any winners, unless a major benefactor steps forward.

The changes are highlighted in blue

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It was agonising to finish second. Three of the bloody teams I tipped for their respective championships last season all finished second as well (Arsenal, Leicester, Crewe all ended up as runners up, I tipped Oxford for the Div 3 title last year). Close, but I ended up with nothing to show for in everything that I entered. Then the same thing happened in PtB. Don't you just hate irony!?:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here