Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying Euros for holiday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone have any experience of a Monzo pre loaded card abroad? Monzo don't charge a fee and use the MasterCard rate at the time of withdrawal. I have heard good things about the Monzo card

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Anyone have any experience of a Monzo pre loaded card abroad? Monzo don't charge a fee and use the MasterCard rate at the time of withdrawal. I have heard good things about the Monzo card
My mates referred me to Monzo but it required me to top up £100 straight off the bat. I didn't feel comfortable with that while Revolut, which is pretty much the same, let me top up a tiny amount and try it out first.

It is meant to be great if you want to dive in. Quite a few mates use it for all spending home and abroad.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Thats what I was thinking - if you are taking £1k in cash on holiday then your holiday must have cost a fair bit.

For me I take a little bit of cash like £1-200 which is just pocket money and spend the rest on card, overall you will not lose much and in relation to the whole holiday its not worth worrying about

This suggests purchasing and paying for the holiday before leaving the UK. Am I alone in thinking that the best deals in Europe can be found by turning up at your destination and then looking for accommodation?

I would usually book travel from the UK though.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Funnily enough I was going to mention Monzo earlier before Glastonbury drew me back in. Used them for a while and yes they are quality - not used abroad myself yet but there is a forum linked directly to the bank and it only says good thing about overseas, its also pre-paid and you can top up immediately from your debit card. Have to put £100 on to get an account (although the account is free so thats just spending money) but if going abroad sure you would need more than that anyway.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
This suggests purchasing and paying for the holiday before leaving the UK. Am I alone in thinking that the best deals in Europe can be found by turning up at your destination and then looking for accommodation?

I would usually book travel from the UK though.

Never done that, and to be honest I would rather take the stress out before with booking and spending say £50 more. That said Air BnB really is changing the game

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I would have bought them before the brexit vote, but that might be slightly late now.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Get a euro debit card. I've got one with FairFX but there are dozens of different companies doing them. Always get much better rates than high street rates. Also means you don't have to worry about your bank or credit card getting cloned who you're away.

This. Got the same one myself. You get one flat exchnage rate and then just pay for everything over there in Euros with the card. Easy, no stress. Their exhange rate isnt too bad either. Was better that the Post Office and most other Bureau De Change's.

Pretty hard to get out of the country otherwise, surely??
Thinking about this, I recall a holiday in Venice where the travel arrangements were a Eurostar to Paris, followed by an overnight train from Paris to Venice. Only the first leg was bought in London. The train to Venice was bought in Paris. My recollection is that this was cheaper than paying for the whole trip in London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here