Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mill Road.

Apr 15, 2016
N1D
Also when buses are full, they always shout "can you move back please" when there's clearly no more room... And like you said they always have to have a 10 minute conversation minimum with the bus driver.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I came down Falmer Rd around 2:15 ish there was a broken down car towing a caravan which looked like the engine was alight. I would think this caused some tailbacks

Was a bit odd (we were walking down the road from Woodingdean about that time). Traffic was stopped by police in both directions, sounds like the car with the caravan had some kind of fire, and they had some gas canisters in the caravan, so 'safety first' approach took over.........

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't understand all the criticism of the stewards who are doing their job. I very much suspect they aren't allowed to let normal traffic through because it is a park and ride area, well signposted, and there are considerably more pedestrians around. I agree that they do seem to spend a long time explaining things to moronic drivers. Might speed things up if they just told them they can't drive through and if they continue to argue, take photos of the car and driver and report them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Tough to be in 2 places at the same time, what with still being at work at 1pm.

I started this while in the queue at the bottom as our steward was telling us about the 45 minute wait and 450 people horror show that was apparently happening at the top.

This year's Mill Rd stewards aren't the same team as previous years and their inexperience shows. They are certainly a bit less flexible and a bit more officious and it's not quite the well oiled machine of previous years. But unfortunately when they keep people advised regarding traffic delays, they seem to get the blame. The traffic aroung the A27/23 junctions this season is the worst I have seen since The Amex opened.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Didn't use Mill Road yesterday, I knew it was going to be bad because I was running late. Lots of factors at play here but by far the biggest is the traffic congestion at the end of the a23 has been really bad this season, probably due to the knock on effects of Southerns incompetency.

And in defence of the stewards this season, they were fantastic the other week and found me a space after they were full to allow my disabled friend to attend the game. Double parked and left my keys with them and were polite and well spirited in very trying circumstances (angry drivers being turned away etc). It's simply not their fault the Amex is a difficult ground to get to these days.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Can't understand all the criticism of the stewards who are doing their job. I very much suspect they aren't allowed to let normal traffic through because it is a park and ride area, well signposted, and there are considerably more pedestrians around. I agree that they do seem to spend a long time explaining things to moronic drivers. Might speed things up if they just told them they can't drive through and if they continue to argue, take photos of the car and driver and report them.

Quite, also not helped by people doing drop offs at the bottom before turning around to come back through the tunnel. You'd think drivers could drop friends and family on London Road and they could walk up but like mum's on the school run, rhe immediate area won't suffice - the 'classroom' is the objective even if it means sitting in congestion for 15mins to move the final 10metres...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Was in the queue for about 20 minutes & witnessed a steady stream of abuse aimed at the stewards - bloke on a motorbike barge his way through even though the road was closed. Woman in a car who insisted on driving up Mill Rd to turn round. woman with her kids insisting that she didn't need to queue with the rest of us. Bloke meaning that he shouldn't need to queue with his kids. All in about 20mins. People that slag the stewards off need to have a think about whether they would put up with all that......

Oh, & I'm still on the bus at 15:05 but I don't need to blame anyone else other than heavy traffic & the fact that I didn't get to Mill Rd till after 2pm.....

I'm sorry but your well rounded and carefully considered opinion shows that you won't fit in round here.

Just remember that It's always somebody else's fault and the club should have done more for you but they only employ zombie like idiots who have ruined your day

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This year's Mill Rd stewards aren't the same team as previous years and their inexperience shows. They are certainly a bit less flexible and a bit more officious and it's not quite the well oiled machine of previous years. But unfortunately when they keep people advised regarding traffic delays, they seem to get the blame. The traffic aroung the A27/23 junctions this season is the worst I have seen since The Amex opened.

I've not used it for a couple of seasons by virtue of working Saturday mornings, but as 3pm kick offs are so rare, paying for parking was working out at £40-£50 a game.

As others have said ultimately the trains must be the reason for the difference in traffic.
[MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] seems to have the situation nailed.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Think the stewards are faffing too much with drivers who need to turn round. A polite explanation that road is closed and unfortunately you have to go another way would suffice. Can't quie understand why people haven't got message before they reach the stewards. Mill Road closure is not exactly new.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Rarely have an issue and use Mill Road most games. Arrive early. I get there two hours before the game an there is normally no bother. Arrive after that expect to be delayed. It's like that and that's the way it is......

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I did wonder why the steward stopped us to make sure we knew it was for football park and ride when my son was in full Brighton kit in the passenger seat. That was odd and did seem to be holding up traffic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did wonder why the steward stopped us to make sure we knew it was for football park and ride when my son was in full Brighton kit in the passenger seat. That was odd and did seem to be holding up traffic.

Because he'll have been told 'you must make sure every car going up the road is using the park and ride'........no discretion to not ask, probably.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Was a bit odd (we were walking down the road from Woodingdean about that time). Traffic was stopped by police in both directions, sounds like the car with the caravan had some kind of fire, and they had some gas canisters in the caravan, so 'safety first' approach took over.........

Was on the bus closest to this and we all got turfed off to walk the rest
to the Amex , which was a result in hindsight. Plod were being very cautious which i guess is their job. One copper had a go with a fire extinguisher but couldn't put it out and you could see this small glow underneath the car clearly burning, and extinguisher ran out . loads shouted to him to use bus fire extinguishers , but he then just shrugged and said Brigade were on way .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rarely have an issue and use Mill Road most games. Arrive early. I get there two hours before the game an there is normally no bother. Arrive after that expect to be delayed. It's like that and that's the way it is......

Yep, that's just the way it is, somethings will never change...

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Normally the Racecourse is absolutely fine. Yesterday we were a bit late (arrived P&R 2.20) and then got seemingly stuck at the top of Falmer Road on the bus with little movement. Just as i'd resigned myself to being at least 10-15 mins late, the traffic started moving quickly and we made it dead on kick off. I didn't realise a vehicle fire had been the cause of the delay until we were directed round the extinguished vehicle.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
One thing i can't understand is why they don't simultaneously load the park and ride buses. It doesn't make sense to be counting the last few places on the first bus holding up proceedings whilst they could be loading another one when they were doing that. I guess that's common sense and it would be too easy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Caused back ups onto the A23 so the buses to Brighton were held up but as I left in good time it proved to not be a problem. Not sure exactly where the stewards are but the obvious place seems just past the Waterhall turn off so any body who cant read that the road is closed for thru traffic can be sent to the Waterhall to turn around and drive back out to the roundabout. No ticket no passing the stewards easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here