Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: In derision of the Albion naysayers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:lol::lol::lol:

Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.

My nomination for the post of the year.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.
Nicely put.

:clap2:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

That's a tad too positive a post for me AZ. Can I have some of what you're on please? :)

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I still think that we could make it work with the striking options we have, especially if Sami places more faith in Colunga, but I am not convinced that we have the collective nous (management wise) to find the formation and starting XI that makes us most effective. So, on balance, it has to be a good thing that we have another option and one who, on his game, is clearly more than good enough at this level.

That said, anyone calling those who are not entirely convinced "retards" or anything similarly offensive need to give their head a shake. Firstly, for using the term and secondly for the sheer fact that Darren Bent has not shown anything of the form that made him the player he was for some seasons now. We are effectively relying on the Bridge, Upson style reinvigoration and NONE of us know whether that is going to happen.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I still think that we could make it work with the striking options we have, especially if Sami places more faith in Colunga, but I am not convinced that we have the collective nous (management wise) to find the formation and starting XI that makes us most effective. So, on balance, it has to be a good thing that we have another option and one who, on his game, is clearly more than good enough at this level.

That said, anyone calling those who are not entirely convinced "retards" or anything similarly offensive need to give their head a shake. Firstly, for using the term and secondly for the sheer fact that Darren Bent has not shown anything of the form that made him the player he was for some seasons now. We are effectively relying on the Bridge, Upson style reinvigoration and NONE of us know whether that is going to happen.

Now this is more like it...

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I'm gobsmacked. We said we needed a big, fast man with a good touch up front (missus) and we got one for Christmas. Have to say, for a Championship team without any Premier League history we've pulled off some great loans over the last few seasons. This one may just surpass Bridge.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm gobsmacked. We said we needed a big, fast man with a good touch up front (missus) and we got one for Christmas. Have to say, for a Championship team without any Premier League history we've pulled off some great loans over the last few seasons. This one may just surpass Bridge.

The crucial bit...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

absolutely spot on

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Q. How many Albion strikers in the 113 year history of the club have been better players than Darren Bent?

List them...

(Clue: think internationals with lots of goals in the top flight despite not playing for one of the best teams...)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Superb post.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Excellent post, This could prove to be the signing that turns our season around.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Should this happen, may I propose that we all turn up to the Millwall game wearing replica shirts with 'Bent' on the back of them - the neanderthals would have heart failure.

:lolol: :lolol:

I saw a guy wearing the pink and white striped women's shirt at South Bermondsey station before one Millwall match a few seasons ago. Nothing beats that.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Could be an excellent signing. I see Bent coming here not only as a goalscorer but as someone who can create opportunities for others aswell. I'm very pleased with this.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If this happens (big if) then after 5 or 6 games with him in, we should have a much better idea of who’s right in the “our strikers aren’t good enough v SH tactics are the problem argument”

Clearly Bent would be a quality addition.

Yes, lets wait and see, but surely this at the very least proof that the club is trying its best to redress a glaring imbalance. We have clamoured for a striker with presence and he is certainly that. Will it work? Who can really tell, as fitting in new players is never going to be an exact science. It will surely take some time, as with relatively little game time, I would not have thought that he will last 90 minutes straight away. Fans, of course, are not always the most patient! And what of the future? Lets assume that he is the big saviour, rather like the chap at Reading who signed at this time a few years ago and fired them to promotion, (well, not on his own!) he presumably he will not come cheap. Will the club have that level of ambition? Interesting times.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Spot on as ever AZ. But the pedant in me wants to point out the greengrocers' apostrophe highlighted in the last sentence. :moo:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
If he was any good he would have greater aspirations than to play for us, he has been absolutely useless since he signed for Villa and it is quite OBVIOUS that his only appetite these days is for a MASSIVE Full English and none at all for football. We would be better off SINGING 'Arry Redknapps MISSUS as she is a BETTER finisher than BENT

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he was any good he would have greater aspirations than to play for us, he has been absolutely useless since he signed for Villa and it is quite OBVIOUS that his only appetite these days is for a MASSIVE Full English and none at all for football. We would be better off SINGING 'Arry Redknapps MISSUS as she is a BETTER finisher than BENT

You're pretty well on your own here, swimming against he tide and looking a MUG. You may even be right but you do need to wait until 15 mins into his Albion debut given the fact that we don't have a single Championship quality striker on the books at the moment :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're pretty well on your own here, swimming against he tide and looking a MUG. You may even be right but you do need to wait until 15 mins into his Albion debut given the fact that we don't have a single Championship quality striker on the books at the moment :thumbsup:

I give you one Adrian Colunga who, for the vast majority of his career, has been regarded as a La Liga quality striker.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here