Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away supporters. How do you fit games into your lives?

collins91

Jan 21, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
i won't be doing leeds again on a tuesday. well worth it for the win but i don't think id have come home alive if we lost. its way to far on a cramped mini bus for 6 hours !!! maybe go as far as midlands.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Retired so time isn't a consideration, but cost is, so I pick & choose which games I go to.
Tickets are cheaper due to concessions which helps. £24 for Leeds.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
As already mentioned, there are quite a number of northern sides in the Championship at present and living up here makes it relatively easy to get to 10 or so away games per season. I certainly find the atmosphere to be fantastic and Leeds on Tuesday was the perfect example. For me, home games are the problem; it's a 500 mile round trip so I only do one per season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Do around 15 odd away games with Mini and we are lucky to be in the free travel brigade as well.

Also good brownie points having a 15 year old with you for the day so Mum can do what she wants.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Interesting to read comments from those who get free train travel. It's that very cost that prevents me from going to more than about 6 away matches per year. Ridiculous charges for a day return in many instances and I can't see any point in going by car as not then able to drink.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Retired so time isn't a consideration, but cost is, so I pick & choose which games I go to.
Tickets are cheaper due to concessions which helps. £24 for Leeds.

Retired people I know seem to have a Senior Rail Card which they say saves a lot on rail fares to away games, if booked in advance.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
As already mentioned, there are quite a number of northern sides in the Championship at present and living up here makes it relatively easy to get to 10 or so away games per season. I certainly find the atmosphere to be fantastic and Leeds on Tuesday was the perfect example. For me, home games are the problem; it's a 500 mile round trip so I only do one per season.

Very close to me, and in an identical position for games. I usually do 7 or 8 away games and try to do 2 or 3 home games, so the Midlands games are ideal for me. You also get the satisfaction like I did at the Hull replay last year when the home fans ask you how long it took you to get there and you reply 45mins to their shock :) I didn't do Leeds this year due to lack of funds but I am planning away trips for: Forest, Huddersfield, Norwich, Derby, Bolton, Rotherham, Middlesbrough.
Birmingham is the only home game I have planned so far so definitely more Away focused.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I simply can't afford to go to many away games as a student. The cost of an away day can be up to £100 if it's a northern one (ticket, train, food, beer). Train prices are an absolute joke nowadays as well. Yes you can buy in advance but rarely do things get organised three months in advance, for me anyway. Think it will be the odd London away day for me this season. Up the albion!

Jan 30, 2008
They like to think they are super fans but in reality if they had to pay then they probably wouldn't travel to away games.
i've forked out a fair bit over the years going to some grim outposts following this club , YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT :thumbsup:
regards
DR

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I am planning away trips for: Forest, Huddersfield, Norwich, Derby, Bolton, Rotherham, Middlesbrough.
Birmingham is the only home game I have planned so far so definitely more Away focused.

Other than Norwich I'm hoping to get to all of them; I expect there won't be many of us at some of them!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I've not been further north than Derby, but would go to an away game if it was a biggie. I tend just to go to London and south coast aways because of my job i'd never get the time off to go further, and also i like to preserve some of my hard earned weekends off.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Working shifts means I get a fair few days off during the weeks. Effectively, that becomes my weekend, so if I've got the Tuesday & Wednesday off & the Albion are playing somewhere, I'll tend to go.

I've always rather liked the more distant midweek away trips. There's a curious sort of camaraderie amongst those who would travel 200 miles and back in a single day just to watch the Albion lose in a cruddy part of Lancashire or Teesside. Off the top of my head, in recent years I've spent Tuesday evenings in Barnsley, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Yeovil, Sheffield, Cardiff and the like- and even when we've lost, most of these outings have had something to recommend them. Friends who don't get football are always staggered when you tell them you're going to drive to (say) Blackburn for a game.

I remember watching us get smashed 7-1 at Huddersfield. At 5-1 with a while still to play, I I remember a few guys getting up to leave. So we all went and blocked the exits: no way were we going to allow them to escape. No sir: if we have to put up with that shit, then so do you.

They ended up grinning & sitting back down again, & joining in with the subsequent piss-taking songs people were coming out with. Sometimes, all you can do is laugh, and that's what makes trips like that.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Working shifts means I get a fair few days off during the weeks. Effectively, that becomes my weekend, so if I've got the Tuesday & Wednesday off & the Albion are playing somewhere, I'll tend to go.

I've always rather liked the more distant midweek away trips. There's a curious sort of camaraderie amongst those who would travel 200 miles and back in a single day just to watch the Albion lose in a cruddy part of Lancashire or Teesside. Off the top of my head, in recent years I've spent Tuesday evenings in Barnsley, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Yeovil, Sheffield, Cardiff and the like- and even when we've lost, most of these outings have had something to recommend them. Friends who don't get football are always staggered when you tell them you're going to drive to (say) Blackburn for a game.

I remember watching us get smashed 7-1 at Huddersfield. At 5-1 with a while still to play, I I remember a few guys getting up to leave. So we all went and blocked the exits: no way were we going to allow them to escape. No sir: if we have to put up with that shit, then so do you.

They ended up grinning & sitting back down again, & joining in with the subsequent piss-taking songs people were coming out with. Sometimes, all you can do is laugh, and that's what makes trips like that.

That dreadful 7-1 tonking at Huddersfield I was hosting some clients in the companies corporate box and had the dubious pleasure of watching each Huddersfield goal fly in one after another needless to say i made the most of company expense account that evening to drown my sorrows and put up with the inevitable piss taking. I felt for anyone who'd travelled from Sussex that night.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I've not been further north than Derby, but would go to an away game if it was a biggie. I tend just to go to London and south coast aways because of my job i'd never get the time off to go further, and also i like to preserve some of my hard earned weekends off.

I did Darlington away when we both in the bottom division. The old Feethams ground. Inevitable it would be 0-0!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here