Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a driving licence?

Do you have a driving licence

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A little short sighted, how about people that live out of towns with no public transport?

Living in a lovely country house, in an idyllic rural setting - and they still want a bit of sympathy and empathy from the rest of us? Tree wrong up the barking........with knobs on!
:lol:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Passed my car test 1988, had a 6 month ban about 15 years ago for collecting too many points but clean since then.

Now drive a van for my job (selling tools and equipment into the motor trade) and doing about 1000 miles a week so need to keep my licence more than ever.

There seems to be more traffic everywhere I go, also not helped by cars growing in size as the makers develop bigger and bigger models.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I assume having a driving licence was a right of passage once you hit 17. I know only 2-3 people over that age that don't have a driving licence.
How do people cope without one? or are they driving illegally?
It was a right of passage back in the day for me too. Now, more and more are driving illegally because of the ridiculous amounts demanded by the insurance companies to insure young drivers. Better to just take a chance - probably still cheaper even if you do get caught.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Car. 1970 - 48 years.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Dirt track yes, I have ridden vintage bikes on track but never a full blown superbike.

Do you race?

800 round Silverstone. This is Maka and the Cornish contingent. I'm in there somewhere closer to the back.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Always find people without are some of the most thoughtless ungrateful people I know just expecting lifts everywhere. Get a ****ing licence or at least acknowledge you use people like your personal Uber's :tosser:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
It was a right of passage back in the day for me too. Now, more and more are driving illegally because of the ridiculous amounts demanded by the insurance companies to insure young drivers. Better to just take a chance - probably still cheaper even if you do get caught.

Yep, I passed when I was 18, many years ago. In Gloucester funnily enough!

My daughter passed at the ripe old age of 17 and 4 months. I put her on my insurance and was amazed at how little it put on my premium. It was a few years back to be fair!

Apparently I can ride a motorcycle too:ohmy::eek:

D

Deleted member 2719

800 round Silverstone. This is Maka and the Cornish contingent. I'm in there somewhere closer to the back.

Silverstone must have been a good experience, but it would be somewhat tainted for me personally with so many on track and the apparent restriction of not being able to give it a bit! Not being in a motorcycle club, but what percentage act 16 years old, as most caught on camera would annoy the hell out of me?
From your post, I don't get the feeling you are anything like some of those riding around, tell me I am right Skipper!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bike since 1978, still ride and have a few bikes.
Car since 1979.
Have a manual van.
have a Auto car, wife has manual car.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

That is right up there with some of the most irresponsible posts I’ve seen on NSC....

I presume you’ve never been hit by an uninsured young driver who “took a chance”.

My mum’s car was written off by that kind of idiot and I cost a fortune on her old age pension.

Just step back and think before you post rubbish like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Most of the people in group featured in the Vlog rode up from Cornwell. The guy filming is probably a bit Marmite, although he's quite good company. Average age about 50. Silverstones rules were to not go faster than 35. There were two pace cars in front and a sweeper van at the back, the idea was to create the record for the most amount of same model bikes round a race track. It was a great day out.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's not rubbish, it's a sad reality Lower West stander, nothing wrong with not liking it however!

Bike since 1987, car since 1990.
Same has been posted by others, driving in this country is not enjoyable these days, I use my Lambretta if I go anywhere near Brighton, or bicycle/bus/train. A car is stupid.

For a good ride, or drive, the best option is France and beyond. . . I got the speed freak out of me years ago by going racing old cars (which is one reason why I swerved football for 12 years) That has taken me to Europe as well as all over England, and to few pretty special events. Last year and this the best fun I've had on wheels has been a scooter rally on the west coast of Brittany.

I used to travel the length and breadth of the uk by car for work, 25000 miles a year some years, now I work from home, I couldn't think of anything worse than being on the motorways nowe. Long gone are the days of getting to the M1 in an hour, or home from Liverpool in under 4.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I couldn’t wait to drive, I had my first test 5 days after 17th birthday and failed on minors but passed the next one. I drive every day, I do all the driving even though my wife can drive, I love going abroad to drive, south of France, Holland trips, love it. I’ve had about 30 different cars in 22 years I just can’t get enough!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It's not rubbish, it's a sad reality Lower West stander, nothing wrong with not liking it however!

Bike since 1987, car since 1990.
Same has been posted by others, driving in this country is not enjoyable these days, I use my Lambretta if I go anywhere near Brighton, or bicycle/bus/train. A car is stupid.

For a good ride, or drive, the best option is France and beyond. . . I got the speed freak out of me years ago by going racing old cars (which is one reason why I swerved football for 12 years) That has taken me to Europe as well as all over England, and to few pretty special events. Last year and this the best fun I've had on wheels has been a scooter rally on the west coast of Brittany.

I used to travel the length and breadth of the uk by car for work, 25000 miles a year some years, now I work from home, I couldn't think of anything worse than being on the motorways nowe. Long gone are the days of getting to the M1 in an hour, or home from Liverpool in under 4.

It is not a "sad reality" - it is illegal.

And it is illegal for a reason. If you want to make the financial commitment of driving a car then you should be able to pay the insurance. If, as you say, " a car is stupid" the why would anyone take the chance anyway?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Dirt track yes, I have ridden vintage bikes on track but never a full blown superbike.

Do you race?
I don’t race, but I’ve got a Zx6r which is a pure track bike. I do track days as often as I can afford it. Flying to Italy next Thursday for 3 days on track at Mugello. The buzz of track riding is incredible.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Car and bike, never thought |I would get an Automatic car but it makes driving so much easier on our busy roads these days and you always have the paddles to do a quick shift if you get the chance.

After hiring autos abroad and loving driving them, I bought my first in 2017.

Many modern auto gearboxes work smoothly and instantly. They're not the naff autos of times past, with a huge time lag.

Makes stop start driving in crowded England more pleasant.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is right up there with some of the most irresponsible posts I’ve seen on NSC....

I presume you’ve never been hit by an uninsured young driver who “took a chance”.

My mum’s car was written off by that kind of idiot and I cost a fortune on her old age pension.

Just step back and think before you post rubbish like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just actually read what was said before piling in with a sanctimonious reply like that. And try thinking a bit before spouting drivel too. I didn't advocate driving without a licence or insurance - I was stating that it is increasingly happening (as your mother's experience bears out) and gave a reason why it is happening, and outlined the thought process which leads many young drivers decide to ignore the law. OK, maybe I should have put the last sentence of my post in inverted commas, but it still doesn't justify "the most irresponsible post ever" crap blurted out by you.

Something - and no, I don't know what - needs to be done, or the problem will just get worse.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here