Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solly March "ready to snub a new contract offer"

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We got caught out letting Tommy Elphick go cheaply after a serious injury I am sure that we wont make the same mistake with Solly and with 2 yrs left on his contract we have time to watch and see how he overcomes the injury before making a decision.

How exactly did we get caught out. Elphick was behind Greer and El Abd before his injury the previous season and then Dunk broke through as well. Elphick was fourth choice so wanted to leave. It's not being caught out. He wouldn't have ended up where he is now if he'd stayed with us (same with Cook).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Experience sure, but Stephens is no spring chicken and has a level head himself.

I just can't agree that there won't be a drop in class, sorry.

I'm not sure whether you genuinely feel that way (if so, agree to disagree) or whether you are distancing yourself from the player (as i've noticed others are doing) as there's a chance he'll leave.

I think there is a degree of distancing myself as I am very unsure Stephens will be in the stripes come August. And maybe I big up Sidwell a little because he does have vast experience. But I would feel extremely comfortable with a Kayal/Sidwell central midfield.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As it always has been.

The 'going rate' and what the Albion are prepared to pay seem to always be a distance apart.
Which is fair enough for a loss making business, but not so good when most of the competition are playing fast and loose with the financial spread sheet.

Someone has read something (which could well not be true) and immediately you turn it round to the club not paying the going rate. Even if it is true, you have no idea whether the player's agents are being unreasonable or if the club are offering below the going rate.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I would be surprised that the club would consider a new contract until such times as he is fully recovered and would add that if true then Solly should concentrate on getting back in the side first. Since he got injured we have added serious quality in this area

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How exactly did we get caught out. Elphick was behind Greer and El Abd before his injury the previous season and then Dunk broke through as well. Elphick was fourth choice so wanted to leave. It's not being caught out. He wouldn't have ended up where he is now if he'd stayed with us (same with Cook).

Elphick was the back up CB with Dunk and it was either of the 2. He often was picked over El Abd so was on the up. We chose to let him go for a pittance of 200k in comparison to what we invested in him, possibly due to us not being sure he would get back to his best. That is how we were caught out and we wont go down that route again with Solly.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Elphick was the back up CB with Dunk and it was either of the 2. He often was picked over El Abd so was on the rising. We chose to let him go for a pittance of 200k in comparison to what we invested in him, possibly due to us not being sure he would get back to his best. That is how we were caught out and we wont go down that route again.

Is left back covered now?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Elphick was the back up CB with Dunk and it was either of the 2. He often was picked over El Abd so was on the up. We chose to let him go for a pittance of 200k in comparison to what we invested in him, possibly due to us not being sure he would get back to his best. That is how we were caught out and we wont go down that route again with Solly.

El Abd was player of the season, and Elphick was then injured for the whole of the following season, because he ruptured his achilles tendon on the very last day at Notts County. He wasn't picked over El Abd.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
ELphick was well into contention for a place and worth a lot more than 200k. POTS is a fans thing not managers as could be seen with Wing and Calderon. In 2008. Elphick was understudy to Virgo and Hawkins before we bought GG and also he was the one to have been judged to have given away the penalty against Bournemouth at Withdean.so was an established 1st team squad member.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whatever the outcome, he is a very talented player as the start of last season proved. My view is that he is second only to Knockhaert in our list of winners. KLL has spent far to many years having potential. Started to prove it at the start last year then got injured and did absolutely nothing when he came back. Murphy seems to come in and out of games far too much. Skalak is a great deliverer of the ball but doesn't really take people on like the other 4 which is why i would put him behind March. Whether that will change once he has had pre season with the team and has a better idea of what is expected, time will tell. Then comes March who, I would put some way behind AK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
ELphick was well into contention for a place and worth a lot more than 200k. POTS is a fans thing not managers as could be seen with Wing and Calderon. In 2008. Elphick was understudy to Virgo and Hawkins before we bought GG and also he was the one to have been judged to have given away the penalty against Bournemouth at Withdean.so was an established 1st team squad member.

El Abd & Elphick played in that game. Greer was on the bench.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...Hove-Albion-v-AFC-Bournemouth-Thread***/page3

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone has read something (which could well not be true) and immediately you turn it round to the club not paying the going rate. Even if it is true, you have no idea whether the player's agents are being unreasonable or if the club are offering below the going rate.
I was attempting to make the point (badly) that it's the 'going rate' and the Albion's competition for these players that's out of kilter not the Albion's stance, which I agree with.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I do agree with this. Once all are fit, LuaLua will probably be fifth choice unless he can rediscover his form from the start of last season, which we've rarely seen on a consistent basis.

KLL CERTAINLY DID NOT LOOK "AT IT"
against CRAWLEY

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No you are going over old ground he was signed as a utility defender we had Chicksen as Bongs understudy but CH didnt rate him so picked Rosenior in preference.

But we bought Rosenior predominately as a full back. He was cover for Bong, Chicksen was never in the loop.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

We will have to agree to disagree then. Elphick and El Abd mostly until October and then Poyet blamed Elphick for the Bournemouth penalty and then it was Greer and El Abd all season except when Greer was banned until we had won the title. By the time he came back, Dunk was well ahead of him too and Elphick was fourth choice. We let him go cheaply because he wasn't in favour and deserved to go somewhere he would be first choice. I don't remember many people on here disagreeing at the time but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

March is very different as, when fit, he will probably be first choice with Knockaert.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here