Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not about forgiving those who did the wrong or sucking up to them. It's about understanding that they were a small group of people in a long lineage of people. Didn't you stop support BHA when we've had bad management / owners?

Quite. And Ray Bloom's actions, or inactions, during the war years are debatable. Don't see anyone criticizing Tony for this.

D

Deleted member 22389

Don't know if already posted, but a report showing we could be in one of the hardest hit areas for a 'Hard Brexit':
http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexi...6-edinburgh-27-reduction-in-economic-output-1

Another study with the same old wording, Predicted, Might, these articles are all the same. It's the reason this country doesn't go anywhere, too many people sitting in front of screens writing crap and not enough people manufacturing. Before we had the internet people just got on with their sodding life.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And the main LibDem leadership consistently refused to reign them in, despite our pleas.

Do you really think that the leadership of a national political party should be so powerful that it is able to instruct members what to think on local issues such as planning applications?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't know if already posted, but a report showing we could be in one of the hardest hit areas for a 'Hard Brexit':
http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexi...6-edinburgh-27-reduction-in-economic-output-1

Yes the areas of the country that produce the economic wealth will get hit the hardest.

But making those better off poorer will only make the poorer areas poorer too, and with 16m in the UK with less than £100 in savings you don't have to be a magician to work out who will have the hardest landing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
And in the last 48 hours we've had three different takes on immigration from three different cabinet members.

I'm looking at pages 2 and 3 of today's FT. On page 2 Brandon Lewis (Immigration Minister) states "Free movement of labour ends when we leave the EU in spring of 2019". On page 3 an article states that the cabinet has accepted that we need a status quo transition period, lasting up until 2022, during which time we will remain within the SM and the CU. The four freedoms will continue to apply, we will continue to contribute to the EU budget, and the ECJ will continue to have jurisdiction.

Whilst different ministers spout completely contrary policies, the Prime Minister is off on holiday, with apparently zero control over her "team".

We have been sold down the Swanee (if we can still use that expression) by a government which has absolutely no idea what it is doing. Not one single Brexiteer has shown any evidence of actually having a plan (nb: if there is one, can someone please direct me to it). We are making things up as we go along, whilst the clock ticks down to 29th March 2019. The rest of the EU can now just sit on their hands and do nothing, whilst the UK implodes. Great negotiating tactics!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
... I was just trying to put some perspective on your rather odd anti UK stance.

I don't want to interrupt a private conversation but I wonder if people could stop accusing those arguing against Brexit of being 'anti-UK'. It's inaccurate. Farage and his band promote their own brand of patriotism but it's not the only one.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I do believe that the wellbeing of the country does depend on the policies being adopted, but not by the LibDems. They have earned my lifelong enmity due to their deliberate actions to kill-off our club - and I was a LibDem voter beforehand.

So if, for example, oh I don't know, some smarmy conservative politician was nailed for record amounts of expenses fiddling, you would no longer vote for the conservative party?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm looking at pages 2 and 3 of today's FT. On page 2 Brandon Lewis (Immigration Minister) states "Free movement of labour ends when we leave the EU in spring of 2019". On page 3 an article states that the cabinet has accepted that we need a status quo transition period, lasting up until 2022, during which time we will remain within the SM and the CU. The four freedoms will continue to apply, we will continue to contribute to the EU budget, and the ECJ will continue to have jurisdiction.

Whilst different ministers spout completely contrary policies, the Prime Minister is off on holiday, with apparently zero control over her "team".

We have been sold down the Swanee (if we can still use that expression) by a government which has absolutely no idea what it is doing. Not one single Brexiteer has shown any evidence of actually having a plan (nb: if there is one, can someone please direct me to it). We are making things up as we go along, whilst the clock ticks down to 29th March 2019. The rest of the EU can now just sit on their hands and do nothing, whilst the UK implodes. Great negotiating tactics!
All parties lack strategy although brexit is the biggest thing to happen to this country for decades and with career politicians arguing between themselves it doesn't bode well.

The truth is that this country needs a different kind of leader that is strong and someone who politicians look up to.Im not sure the modern mould of ex university pampered poodled establishment types is the way forward anymore.Most have no experience in the real world what's so ever due to a pampered up bringing....times have changed and are changing and the door needs to open for different types of politicians.

I have zero faith in our weak weak leader getting a good deal and the twats in Brussels know this....It's a shambolic embarrassing fiasco watching all our politicians bitching at each other to further their careers!!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The truth is that this country needs a different kind of leader that is strong and someone who politicians look up to.Im not sure the modern mould of ex university pampered poodled establishment types is the way forward anymore.Most have no experience in the real world what's so ever due to a pampered up bringing....times have changed and are changing and the door needs to open for different types of politicians.

Trump could probably fit it in alongside running the USA. He did say it was harder than he thought it was going to be, but I think he's got it under control now..........

............... God Forbid.

I think the main thing we need is someone who knows what they are doing.

Jan 30, 2008
Trump could probably fit it in alongside running the USA. He did say it was harder than he thought it was going to be, but I think he's got it under control now..........

............... God Forbid.

I think the main thing we need is someone who knows what they are doing.
there's plenty of them on here :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
regards
DR

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't want to interrupt a private conversation but I wonder if people could stop accusing those arguing against Brexit of being 'anti-UK'. It's inaccurate. Farage and his band promote their own brand of patriotism but it's not the only one.

One of the main reasons for arguing against Brexit is, of course, a desire NOT to see the UK go to the wall. It's the Remainers who are the patriots - Brexiteers seem happy to see the UK destroyed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
One of the main reasons for arguing against Brexit is, of course, a desire NOT to see the UK go to the wall. It's the Remainers who are the patriots - Brexiteers seem happy to see the UK destroyed.

Patriots of the EU obviously

You seem to be Farage and Trump fodder and not know the meaning of patriot:
a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.

Not surprising you could not counter brilliant satire in similar satirical form.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Feel free to join in. Its a tired accusation from someone who cannot see beyond his nose. I'm pro-EU and anti-Tory, I'm in double opposition, so yes I'm going to be highly critical of the way the country is currently going. I have also devoted more time, effort and money than most to these twin causes which would be odd for someone so anti-UK. Surely it's plain to see from my deep concern about the country I want it to do well?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Patriots of the EU obviously

Absolutely in my case. I've always been pro-EU and it's not going to change now. This can co-exist with my desire to see the uk succeed.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Direction of travel?

UK exports in 2016: ($bn)

India 4.5
Australia 5.4
Japan 6.6
Canada 6.3
China 18.3
US 62.3
EU 203.2