Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone planning to see the movie "Dunkirk"?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Going to see it tonight at the Sussex Exchange, really looking forward to it. My Great Uncle was on one of the smaller boats that went to help out with the evacuation so it's a story that has always interested me.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Read an interesting piece with a historian who only really picked up a couple of things. One, that for dramatic reasons, the role of the small boats is overplayed, having only effected around 5% of the rescue - and that the Royal Navy had a much greater presence than portrayed. Secondly, that Spitfires had a tiny amount of ammunition (could only fire for something like 12 seconds I think before it was Game Over gun-wise) making some of the dogfights unrealistic. Finally, that a Spitfire would not land on a sandy beach with its undercarriage down as it would sink in and crash heavily.

But, having said all that, he felt if captured the feel and the 'spirit' of Dunkirk brilliantly and, for a film, there were some very accurate portrayals. Looking forward to seeing it.

The Mk1 Spits over Dunkirk had about 16 seconds of continuous fire (more if you did the George Beurling trick of taking out the tracers). The Spitfire had a very high rate of fire - that's why it ran out of bullets so quickly. So the best aces did shoot in very quick bursts and stayed in the fight longer - but not as long as Tom Hardy. Still loved the film though.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Really enjoyed it, a different take on a "war movie" but for me it really worked. The lack of dialogue really added to some of the tension. I'd seen a few people commenting about the time line being confusing but I found that pretty easy to follow and piece together what was happening.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I didn't get this film at all. I'm not a fan of this director and I've pretty much hated everything he's ever done, as Emperor/new clothes, pseudo-intellectual, buckets of style over teaspoons of substance. I wish I was wrong so I could join the Nolan love-fest party, but I'm not. I'm right.
:)

I heard a critic say last week that what sets Nolan apart from most directors is that he assumes the audience are intelligent enough to not need spoon feeding the plot.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I heard a critic say last week that what sets Nolan apart from most directors is that he assumes the audience are intelligent enough to not need spoon feeding the plot.

I'm not as INtellegent as Enrest, but Inception was the biggest pile of white dog shit since Highlander V, and I haven't even seen Highlander V.

What gives/there can be only one, Macleod!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
History movie are interesting and educational.

Absolutely Lou, Argo (fvck yourself) taught us that the Brits and New Zealander's had absolutely nothing to do with the safe passage of six American diplomats out of Iran in 1980, and I'm sure someone will be along in just a minute to see my Argo (fvck yourself) and raise me a U-571 or a Lone Survivor.

What gives?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Saw it last night on super screen, very impressive camera work.

But there were a colossal amount of continuity errors, which I'm sure some movie anorak will pick up in due course.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
You Sir need to get a life to be able to waste your life. Great movie. Loved it and very well done. What no blood and guts, just a true story of true heroes

And you need to wise up on what a good film is and what a sh*t one is sir.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I think some people are viewing this movie with the wrong expectations. This is a movie about being there, putting you in the position of being there, the fear and tension that you would feel.
It's not about blood guts gore and action. It's not about history in a factual way, it's not about the characters.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My 86 year old Mum went to see it last night, her Dad, (my Grandad) escaped from the beaches, and she wanted to get an idea of what he went through, as he never spoke of it.
She wishes she hadn't seen it now, as it was horrific,( in her words)
I'm going next Wednesday.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
And you need to wise up on what a good film is and what a sh*t one is sir.

I live in oz school is going good so my 13 year old tells me thanks for asking as for who needs to wise up you seem to be one of the few who thinks in is sh#t each there own but your wrong so there sir.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I live in oz school is going good so my 13 year old tells me thanks for asking as for who needs to wise up you seem to be one of the few who thinks in is sh#t each there own but your wrong so there sir.

Jeez, what's hove bored & bereft going to make of that sentence :moo:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Learn some grammar.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here