Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
A Wisconsin company is to become the first in the US to microchip employees.
Three Square Market is offering to implant the tiny radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip into workers' hands for free - and says everyone will soon be doing it.
The rice grain-sized $300 (£230) chip will allow them to open doors, log in to computers and even purchase food.
And so far, 50 employees have signed up for the chance to become half-human, half-walking credit card.
But far from being some sort of dystopian nightmare, Three Square Market's Patrick McMullan believes everyone will soon be wanting their own microchip.
I can see plucky Brexiteers once we get control of our boarders micro chipping all those migrants coming here on a points based system one up from a tattooed forarm

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are a big market for BMW, Volkswagon, Audi last thing they need is their own government to start pissing around over trade deals.

This is not what various big wigs from their industry are saying though. You might like to think that the UK is their primary concern but the single market and the strength of the EU rank higher. And when you think about it, in Germanys position, this makes perfect sense. You need to take your blinkers off.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Three Square Market is offering to implant the tiny radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip into workers' hands for free - and says everyone will soon be doing it.
The rice grain-sized $300 (£230) chip will allow them to open doors, log in to computers and even purchase food.
And so far, 50 employees have signed up for the chance to become half-human, half-walking credit card.
But far from being some sort of dystopian nightmare, Three Square Market's Patrick McMullan believes everyone will soon be wanting their own microchip.
I can see plucky Brexiteers once we get control of our boarders micro chipping all those migrants coming here on a points based system one up from a tattooed forarm

When exactly did you feel that having control of whom is coming in, out or remaining in the UK should be seen as something as extreme as Nazi Germany and the Holocaust, are you seriously that stupid.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This is not what various big wigs from their industry are saying though. You might like to think that the UK is their primary concern but the single market and the strength of the EU rank higher. And when you think about it, in Germanys position, this makes perfect sense. You need to take your blinkers off.

You might be right and only time will tell, but when market and economic considerations are ignored ahead of a political aspiration then that aspiration becomes toxic and is likely to fail.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
when market and economic considerations are ignored ahead of a political aspiration then that aspiration becomes toxic and is likely to fail.

Blimey O'Reiily.. We agree on something. And this is why the political aspiration of Brexit will fail and destroy Britain :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You might be right and only time will tell, but when market and economic considerations are ignored ahead of a political aspiration then that aspiration becomes toxic and is likely to fail.

Maybe the single market and a strong EU is worth more financially than the UK sale?. After all, the UK only buys a fraction of German cars. It would make sense to focus on the far bigger percentage and not jeopardise this at the expense of a UK deal. Simple economics.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Speaking of toxicity I would think the German car industry has bigger issues to worry about at the moment ...

German car makers' shares crash on allegations of collusion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/07/24/german-car-makers-shares-crash-allegations-collusion/

If proved true it suggests they are more interested in sales than protecting the integrity of the single market.
Although the Germans might lose 10% of their market here after Brexit they will probably pick this up and more in Europe because we wont be selling any of the cars manufactured here to the continent. I think they win on this.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

It will be easily implemented using Henry 8th laws...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Although the Germans might lose 10% of their market here after Brexit they will probably pick this up and more in Europe because we wont be selling any of the cars manufactured here to the continent. I think they win on this.

True

Think we are already a less profitable market for the German, prices should be up 15% due to ex/rate, but the manufacturer takes the hit in fear of losing market share.

Ultimately, the political will always take priority over the economic. I still don't think many Brexiteers really get this.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

They wouldn't lose 10% and we would continue to sell cars manufactured here to the continent even if we left on WTO rules. But I expect a better deal will be reached.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
True

Think we are already a less profitable market for the German, prices should be up 15% due to ex/rate, but the manufacturer takes the hit in fear of losing market share.

Ultimately, the political will always take priority over the economic. I still don't think many Brexiteers really get this.

As that's one of the main problems with the EU I would think many Brexiteers did!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yeh? I can see a paranoid remainer making a stupid statement, which you can't even spell properly. If you'd been around in 1940, you'd no doubt be the pillock imagining storm-troopers dressed as nuns on every street corner!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

economics dominates politics, Europe is no different. business may talk up the politics when it suits and and ingratiates politicians, but in the end business will drive for their best interests. they are only interested in single market as far as it helps them. if they think imposing tariffs on UK imports will help their european business, that's what they'll push for. if they think tariff free trade will help their market in UK, they'll push that behind the scenes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Liam Fox has accused the media of "being obsessed with safety concerns"

Jesus Christ. In the absence of the government....I'm glad someone is obsessed with the safety of the British people.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Yeh? I can see a paranoid remainer making a stupid statement, which you can't even spell properly. If you'd been around in 1940, you'd no doubt be the pillock imagining storm-troopers dressed as nuns on every street corner!

Borders apologies for misspelling and offending the spelling grammar police

I was just making the point that we are living in a world of fear and in my opinion many voted for Brexit based upon largely ill informed information and that those same people's fears fit quite well into the micro chipping story which yes I can see some plucky Brexiteers thinking would be good to tag migrants

Let's see if this appears is in the press this over the next few weeks

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I note from reading the FT today that (a) Australia and India are flexing their muscles in advance of potential new post-Brexit trade deals, (b) that UK farmers are concerned that (post-Brexit) the UK market will be flooded with cheap imports from places like the US, and (c) that consumers are concerned about having to eat chlorinated chickens and cattle pumped full of growth hormones.

It looks like, as part of a UK-Australia trade deal we will need to agree to increase pension payments to all those retired UK "ex-pats" (not immigrants, of course) down under [around 250,000 of them]. Plus, India will insist on a relaxation of the controls over their students and other nationals coming to the UK. I would imagine most other countries looking for trade deals with the UK after Brexit will insist on similar issues. The problem for us, of course, is that we have painted ourselves into a corner - once we're out of the EU our desperation for replacement trade deals will be massive. And Fox and co will give away just about anything to be able to prove his worth.

I'm sure there's another side to these stories, of course - but the FT very often gets things right!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here