Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tim Farron has lumped Mrs May alongside Trump and Le Pen for allowing the Tories to be taken over by UKIPs agenda.

It would seem however that Mrs May is in fact a Cuckoo given that she has also taken previous Labour ideas.

It is quite hard to work out what they actually represent, when a party decides to put a cap on energy companies profit in the morning and go fox hunting after a spot of lunch you have to question what is going on.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
But so many people seem to be nailing their colours to the flag already, surely they know something i don't??

The main reasons they have such a big lead are ..

The only (credible) party that seems intent on delivering Brexit prioritising the wishes of the majority who voted in the Referendum.

The main opposition party just isn't credible.

The economy is doing ok (record employment etc.)

:shrug:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The only (credible) party that seems intent on delivering Brexit prioritising the wishes of the majority who voted in the Referendum.

Out of interest, how are they any more intent on delivering Brexit than Labour? (not that I care, I won't be voting for either party)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Plus Paul Dacre likes them, which always helps.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Out of interest, how are they any more intent on delivering Brexit than Labour? (not that I care, I won't be voting for either party)

The Tories have a relatively clear line on Brexit leave single/internal market, customs union, no ECJ jurisdiction, no free movement. I'm not even sure I understand what the Labour position is or if we would actually leave. See Corbyn interview.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
[MENTION=23494]big gull[/MENTION]y talking nonsense. Two weeks ago he was trying to convince us that a house priced at 70k was as affordable as the same house priced at 4 times as much 20 years later. It was proper back-of-a-fag-packet stuff. Then, last week, he was stating UK rail (if you removed Southern) was comparable to Deutsche Bahn. Sadly, as much as we'd all want, you can't just remove Southern rail :lolol:

And now this. I'm with you; I go out with people of different ages, sexes and backgrounds. Like you, I'm older and financially okay (not bragging; more having no kids and bugger all to spend money on other than myself), and I buy drinks but I don't expect anything in return. I also have friends with kids, students kids etc; wouldn't dream of expecting them to buy me a beer (especially as I drink poncy stuff.). I know when people take the piss... but no one does.

Anyway. Talking of beer I have had a long day at work and a few in Brewdog (Freitgeost tap take over: Surfin' IPA, Smoked Apricot Gose, Lervig Supersonic Double dry hopped Imperial IPA and a Russian Liver Imperial Porter infused with date syrup) so it's bed time.

Guten nacht.

Brave from you, especially when I actually did the sums for you and [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION], it was a hypothetical set of figures but offered how a fix term repayment mortgage @ 13% in 1989 compared to a hypothetical 25 year fix term on the same yet significantly increased priced house in 2017 @ 2% interest rates effected affordability.

You both seemed unable to grasp the figures that on £80 000 in 1989 @ 13% rates as opposed to a £230 000 currently @ 2% rates for a 25 year fix term then it might be argued that it isnt affordability that is the issue but the accessing of finance as both repayments amounts ultimately were similar.

If I can try one last time, its similar to leasing a car on a 3 year deal, in 1989 you perhaps could get a Ford Capri worth £10 000 at a monthly repayment of perhaps £275.00 per month, today I can lease a Mercedes worth £45 000 at a monthly repayment of £300.00 per month, which is more affordable the £10 000 capri in 1989 or todays £45 000 Merc ?

As for trains, I remain quite ambivilent, I really dont care too much, I rarely use them, I just happened to mention that I have used trains both in England and Germany and for me the experience was similar and whilst you were espousing the virtues of Deutsches Bahn, it was interesting you forgot to mention their 2015 year long strike at a cost to the German economy of £540 million, but somehow this passed you by HT, so by all means give Southern a kicking I really dont care.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32823460

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Brave from you, especially when I actually did the sums for you and [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION], it was a hypothetical set of figures but offered how a fix term repayment mortgage @ 13% in 1989 compared to a hypothetical 25 year fix term on the same yet significantly increased priced house in 2017 @ 2% interest rates effected affordability.

You both seemed unable to grasp the figures that on £80 000 in 1989 @ 13% rates as opposed to a £230 000 currently @ 2% rates for a 25 year fix term then it might be argued that it isnt affordability that is the issue but the accessing of finance as both repayments amounts ultimately were similar.

If I can try one last time, its similar to leasing a car on a 3 year deal, in 1989 you perhaps could get a Ford Capri worth £10 000 at a monthly repayment of perhaps £275.00 per month, today I can lease a Mercedes worth £45 000 at a monthly repayment of £300.00 per month, which is more affordable the £10 000 capri or £45 000 Merc ?

I think this is the thinking that caused the financial crash...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Who actually reads a manifesto from front to back, and even if done, who actually digests it? Whoever you vote for they will say you voted for their manifesto, even if that involves fox hunting, etc., etc. They will say that you have given them the green light. You may only agree with 60% of their policies, but you have voted for the other 40% too, like it or not.

the tory front bench obviously do not

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think this is the thinking that caused the financial crash...

I am not the chancellor, I was discussing the point purely on affordability and reminding those that current house prices and the difficulty to firstly raise the cash and then repay the monthly committments isnt anything particulalry unique.

I got a self cert mortgage for one of my properties in 2000'sh, that too was a risk for me and the lenders, that might have led to a crash too but it didnt, everything can lead to a crash, the lenders criteria is currently tight, I suspect it will at sometime ease, it always does and has.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i dont think Labour are intent on delivering Brexit. their section on Brexit is a list of things they'll keep. it didn't make it to the manifesto but there was something in the Guardian that if they didn't secure the deal they wanted, they'd withdraw Article 50. will be very interesting to see what if any wiggle room the Conservatives give themselves, because i dont believe they are genuinely wedded to the "no deal is fine", thats a negotiating position.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am not the chancellor, I was discussing the point purely on affordability and reminding those that current house prices and the difficulty to firstly raise the cash and then repay the monthly committments isnt anything particulalry unique.

I got a self cert mortgage for one of my properties in 2000'sh, that too was a risk for me and the lenders, that might have led to a crash too but it didnt, everything can lead to a crash, the lenders criteria is currently tight, I suspect it will at sometime ease, it always does and has.

No but your example is a poor one because the amount of borrowing is the key. While there were many repossessions and it was a devastating period to have such massive interest spikes through the 80s, the house price and the level of borrowing against it to purchase meant many were able to ride out interest rate swings from 6% to 15%.

As house prices have risen incrementally higher compared to average earnings, then while your comparison is correct, the level of borrowing against the property is higher. Project an interest rate swing like we had in the 80s and it would be catastrophic for the economy.

House prices are too high in this country, you can see worldwide trends in this graph http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/11/global-house-prices our housing market has been turned into an investment marketplace rather than a homes marketplace.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Tories have a relatively clear line on Brexit leave single/internal market, customs union, no ECJ jurisdiction, no free movement.

If this is the case then what are the trade negotiations they are planning with the EU for? Im of the view that I think this is best, but it's not clear from the Tory party this is their aim.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I am interested in what policies people are going to vote Conservative for, I looked at the Manifesto thread and didn't really find much aside from "They are not Jeremy Corbyn"
That's all they need isn't it.

I'm Tory, but whilst they are obviously going to smash this election, we do need a credible opposition, and Labour will never be that again. The Limp Dems are as bad as Labour, but hopefully after this election, Labour and Limp Dems will get their acts together, dusband and form a credible opposition, which even me as a lifelong Tory desperately wants.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're confusing care at home v residential care. The £23k threshold for home care excludes the value of your HOME.

very likley, finding the whole area rather confusing, bit of a dogs dinner and i dont actually see a manifesto published yet to read.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
That's all they need isn't it.

I'm Tory, but whilst they are obviously going to smash this election, we do need a credible opposition, and Labour will never be that again. The Limp Dems are as bad as Labour, but hopefully after this election, Labour and Limp Dems will get their acts together, dusband and form a credible opposition, which even me as a lifelong Tory desperately wants.

So you agree that children in this country should live in poverty and parents should give money to schools so that their children can learn and it's OK for people to sleep on the streets because they can't afford or there are no houses.
No doubt you are ok, that's all that matters isn't it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here