Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kit reveal at some yet-to-be-determined time in the future

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, did anybody sign up to the exclusive email list where you can get VIP early access to the reveal of the kit?

Why the **** don't they just say "The club will reveal the new kit on xxxxxx"

All of this hype and ****ing mailing lists says to me that the marketing team at BHA are still learning their trade somewhat. Oh and the apostrophe thing too.

No.

I genuinely am interested to see how long they take to communicate details of the new kit to everyone else, after the VIPers have had their fill.

I just hope, for the sake of my impoverished children, that there will be some shirts left.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
No.

I genuinely am interested to see how long they take to communicate details of the new kit to everyone else, after the VIPers have had their fill.

I just hope, for the sake of my impoverished children, that there will be some shirts left.

Or worse, imagine the embarrassment if the images of the kit LEAK to us peasants in between the VIP early-access, sneak preview, queue jump reveal and the official reveal! :ohmy:

Though I'm sure the club would have mitigated against such a risk.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
So where's this new Albion kit that was "revealed " at 7pm last night then ????

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I don't understand what people are complaining about. If your not interested the don't sign up. The club is trying to make as much money as possible through various revenue streams, probably part of the deal with Nike was to try and get as many Brighton fans on their mailing list. I guess this is what they are trying to do.

I don't have to sign it. But if doing this helps the club raise money for the running f the club, then I am happy for them to do it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't understand what people are complaining about. If your not interested the don't sign up. The club is trying to make as much money as possible through various revenue streams, probably part of the deal with Nike was to try and get as many Brighton fans on their mailing list. I guess this is what they are trying to do.

I don't have to sign it. But if doing this helps the club raise money for the running f the club, then I am happy for them to do it.

I'm not complaining, but I do think it's completely bizarre as the implication is that the tens of thousands of people who the club already have details for will not receive details on the new kit, or will do so later.

And it's got absolutely nothing to do with Nike or getting on a Nike mailing list. The sign-up clearly states only that:

I give BHAFC permission to send me update on the 14/15 Kit and Training Gear

So, the club absolutely can not give these email addresses to Nike, nor use them for any other purpose.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm not complaining, but I do think it's completely bizarre as the implication is that the tens of thousands of people who the club already have details for will not receive details on the new kit, or will do so later.

And it's got absolutely nothing to do with Nike or getting on a Nike mailing list. The sign-up clearly states only that:

I give BHAFC permission to send me update on the 14/15 Kit and Training Gear

So, the club absolutely can not give these email addresses to Nike, nor use them for any other purpose.

It is bizarre. There must be some small-print somewhere when you sign up for the updates about receiving crap from Nike as they know that everyone will see the kit the minute the email goes out from NSC/Twitter.
Plus they have everyone that's ever bought a ticket on the mailing list anyway, why wouldn't they just use that, considering they already send us crap about suits/cars/office phones from other partners?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

If this is the way the club are going about making more money then I really should be their Commercial Director. They have all the email addreses they are going to get and they can't just spam those either.

As someone else said this is not Barcelona with the worlds media all hanging on in anticipation. The way the club make money is just to get them on sale as quickly as possible .... if someone at the club is working under the impression that making fans hang on is going to increase sales then they are in the wrong job

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
He needs to be an NSC member to feel the pulse. ( And have his grammar, spelling and punctuation checked.)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've had an exchange with Paul Barber this afternoon about this which has put in place some of the cynicism I was showing, and he is happy for me to share what he said for others to read...

Selecting Nike as our kit partner wasn’t just about the money….although it is the highest value deal in the club’s history, and has some great and innovative elements to it, it was as much about working with a brand that could help us to target and engage with a new and much younger audience for the Albion. Nike undoubtedly remains the coolest sportswear brand amongst the younger target audiences.

We also need to do this stuff without the kind of budgets that bigger clubs work with and with far less resource (and we rarely use agencies). That means we challenge our guys to be different, to try things, not to be afraid of them not working, not to be put off if some fans don’t like the campaign. The results will determine the success - not the sentiment. In my experience, everyone is a “marketing expert”!

The marketing to support the launch is designed to be part of a longer term process of engaging with that younger audience, many of whom won’t or don’t currently attend Albion matches or, if they do, probably don’t engage with the club directly. Older fans may not like the “teasing” but the kids do – and it’s flying around a lot of different places already. That marketing reach has cost us nothing!

As you will know, marketing is not just about engaging existing customers (in our case, fans), and neither is every launch campaign directed at existing customers. Sometimes, as in this case, certain elements of a campaign can be deliberately slanted away from existing customers (without alienating them) because we’re trying to build the overall merchandise side of our business - and grow the fan base.

Of course we know that existing supporters will get to see the kit without a teaser campaign – but many members of the audience we are trying to attract won’t or wouldn’t have without it. And, of course we also know that getting the shirt on sale means that we will generate cash sooner! And, yes, we also know we’re not Barcelona or England! Doesn’t mean to say, we shouldn’t do things differently from the past.

But, at the end of the day, selling football shirts is best done by using our players. They Our returned to work yesterday. Our immediate priority for them is their medical testing – not modelling shirts! Next week, there will be a little more time for them to be our athletic clothes horses!

In football, we work to fairly rigid timetables at this time of year. This kind of dictates when you can launch a kit, and particularly with a new manufacturer as contracts limit what you can do prior to the umber break. Regardless, and as we said all along, fans will be able to buy their new shirts before most people take their summer holidays.

With regard to timing overall, we’ve already taken time to explain (some weeks ago now):

- clubs tend not to launch kits during World Cups as the focus of supporters is elsewhere
- if they do, it’s either prior to the tournament (which we couldn’t do as we were under contract elsewhere) or towards the back end of a tournament in a convenient window (England going out helps)
- this timing isn’t just about supply of kit either (we have it!), it’s about the focus of the manufacturer (World Cups will always take precedence for the bigger brands like Nike and Adidas)
- building up some “chatter” about the new kit is exactly what the teaser campaign was designed to do – judging by the thread, it’s worked!
- also, judging by the new email addresses amongst the “interested” sign ups - well in to the thousands over night - we’re also getting the new data we were after
- fans will of course get to see the kit ahead of the first friendly match…that’s obviously designed to act as a further promotional tool!
- And then there’s the new store which will display and sell the kit in a very different way to what fans have been used to in our first 3 Amex years; this is a fun element to our deal with Nike

I think I’ve launched about 30 different kits over the years, in the UK and north America, for club and country, and using just about every different technique going – and each one engaged different fans in different ways. Some launches have been more successful than others, but each one ultimately helped sell more shirts than the last. Let’s hope, for the club’s sake, we can do the same here!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Absolutely NO idea how all this shit is going to engage any potential young fan not currently interested in club? Literally, zero idea. Someone help me out?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
And then there’s the new store which will display and sell the kit in a very different way to what fans have been used to in our first 3 Amex years; this is a fun element to our deal with Nike

Will it involve dancing girls and dwarfs

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I keep reading this but still don't understand it I'm afraid...

I suspect he/she is referring to the occasion the club sent personalised emails out to everyone about something? A nice personal touch that made the heart go all fuzzy and warm. Sadly, the club got everyones name wrong. I think I was Monica or Felicity or something?.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here