Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
He doesn't seem to be in the squad currently playing vs Halmstad - can we read anything into this? Or is he injured?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
You couldn't educate us as you spouted constant bollocks . I've noticed you visit the bbs quite often but never speak anymore .???
Said many times I read the GPD but don't post on the away end any more for the reason why you quoted me [emoji3]. Keep up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If United do have a sell-on clause on him, as it appears likely, it becomes quite significant. Zaha returned to Palace with his tail between his legs for a paltry £3m, so low was his stock then.

A sell-on clause will almost certainly apply to anything in excess of that £3m, meaning Palace would have to hand over a fair chunk of change to United should Zaha move on.

We often talk about a player being worth more to us than anyone would pay for him. That is surely the case with Zaha and Palace given the sell-on clause we take to be in place.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
They are paying Zaha £120,000 a week.

I'll say that again. They are paying Zaha £120,000 a week. It'd be a brave club to pick up that kind of bunce (plus bonuses) on a player who failed so abjectly when he moved away from his small Croydon pond (or swamp, if you may). A step up in class does not befit him, lest we forget his comical cameo in an England shirt.

CPFC2010 are obviously falling over themselves to pour £6.5m a year into the trousers of the swivel-eyed gravity whore, being as they quite literally got zero points AND zero goals in his absence last season. After 5 years with their snouts deep in the PL trough, its quite incredible for Disneys mob to have ALL their PL eggs in one singular basket case, but thats where they are. And if he goes, they are BANG in trouble. The stats don't lie.

Their best hope is that he is a Le Tiss-type player, with zero ambition to do anything with his career, just happy to see out his days trundling along coining it with a small club, while the fans there incessantly fellate him. Seriously, check out his Twitter feed some time, when he's "praised god" once again. The replies. Ugh.

Looking at it from a business perspective, £6.5 million outgoings against a £110 million incoming. They could afford to double or triple his wages and as long as he does the business on the pitch and keeps them up, it is money well spent.

This is why you see the Palace fans stating that he should go for nothing less than £70 million, he really is that important to them.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Looking at it from a business perspective, £6.5 million outgoings against a £110 million incoming. They could afford to double or triple his wages and as long as he does the business on the pitch and keeps them up, it is money well spent.

This is why you see the Palace fans stating that he should go for nothing less than £70 million, he really is that important to them.
But they have a great squad and are NOT a one man team. Apparently.

They couldn't double or triple his wages without breaking FFP though. Unless they do really spend all available wages increase on him. Which is possible!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Which is all well and good, until you factor in that they're also paying Benteke £120k a week, Sakho £100k a week, Townsend £80k a week, Cabaye was on £100k a week plus....it goes on and on. The wagebill at Palace is eyewatering. But I'm sure they can afford it - after all, what could possibly go wrong ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Zaha is a brilliant player and easily good enough for a top 6 side. If you ask all premier league defenders which player they least enjoyed facing he would definitely be near the top of the list.

If I was Spurs I would be handing Palace a cheque for £50m today, he is exactly what they need.
He has shown he can do it when he's the big fish in the shit filled pond, but he's also failed when part of a team where he's not the star. Maybe he's changed, but £50m is a gamble when you don't know.

Is this 'buy back' clause for Utd a real thing or made up?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
If United do have a sell-on clause on him, as it appears likely, it becomes quite significant. Zaha returned to Palace with his tail between his legs for a paltry £3m, so low was his stock then.

A sell-on clause will almost certainly apply to anything in excess of that £3m, meaning Palace would have to hand over a fair chunk of change to United should Zaha move on.

We often talk about a player being worth more to us than anyone would pay for him. That is surely the case with Zaha and Palace given the sell-on clause we take to be in place.

Parish himself said there is a "big sell on fee." The suggestion at the time was that it might be enough for United to recover the fee they paid for Zaha (so £15m minus the £3m perhaps?)

To be fair though if they decide to sell him and dig their heels in over the fee I am pretty sure they'd get £60m+. The market is ridiculous at present and, whether we like it or not, he is someone that can change games. I really don't mean it as a dig at Palace but imagine what he could do at Spurs, Liverpool, City etc. Obviously there is the question mark over his failed spell at United but he has much more end product these days and a few more years under his belt.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
He has shown he can do it when he's the big fish in the shit filled pond, but he's also failed when part of a team where he's not the star. Maybe he's changed, but £50m is a gamble when you don't know.

Is this 'buy back' clause for Utd a real thing or made up?

Not getting too involved, but he was only 19 / 20 years old then so would not have been expecting to be a star, also Man u where going through their own managerial and player turmoil as well..it just was a poor time to be transferred...anyway carry on.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Not getting too involved, but he was only 19 / 20 years old then so would not have been expecting to be a star, also Man u where going through their own managerial and player turmoil as well..it just was a poor time to be transferred...anyway carry on.

How skint are you? Are you worried? Genuine questions.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
How skint are you? Are you worried? Genuine questions.

I dont know I am a football fan..and no not worried in the slightest...ill watch them in what ever division they play in, seen players , managers, owners come and go hasn't stooped me yet. My first two seasons I actually went to watch them we got relegated in successive seasons , so i started at a low point, this is about as good as its ever been.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not getting too involved, but he was only 19 / 20 years old then so would not have been expecting to be a star
I'm not only referring to his trip to United, he also failed with England, and in the PL with Cardiff.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Bild reporting he could be on his way to Dortmund with Schurrle coming the other way.

Only saw it on Reddit, work has blocked Bild itself.

They're reporting that Dortmund are preparing a cash + Schurrle bid, not that we're accepting it or that he's on his way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know he was much younger then, but he couldn't cope in Manchester, out of his South London bubble. I really can't see him agreeing to move abroad. Dortmund surely a non starter.

I think he'll stay. If he were to move, then Chelsea (replacing Hazard) seems the obvious, so he can stay where he's comfortable.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I know he was much younger then, but he couldn't cope in Manchester, out of his South London bubble. I really can't see him agreeing to move abroad. Dortmund surely a non starter.

I think he'll stay. If he were to move, then Chelsea (replacing Hazard) seems the obvious, so he can stay where he's comfortable.

Depressing times for Chelsea fans.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
They're reporting that Dortmund are preparing a cash + Schurrle bid, not that we're accepting it or that he's on his way.

So, taking the definition of 'could' as 'used to indicate possibility', then this information about Dortmund preparing a bid means he could be on his way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here