Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - Man Utd (H)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Ryan - 9 - for *that* save
Montoya - 7.5 - absolute quality but aim your clearances down the line please...
Bong - 8 - bullied them all
Duffy - 8
Dunk - N/A - fingers crossed
Knockaert - 8 - 10 first half, 6 2nd, he was shattered
Stephens - 8.5
Propper - 9 MoM - Absolutely effortless
March - 8
Gross - 8
Murray - 8.5

Balogun - 8 - Blimey he's good. Wasn't bought for the bench, was he?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ryan - 7 - very little to do bar a great save from Pogba
Montoya - 7 - accomplished debut. Looks very comfortable on the ball
Bong - 7 - only criticism would be his delivery when got in on the overlap
Duffy - 9 - immense
Dunk - 6 - hopefully a minor injury
Propper - 8 - bossed the midfield with...
Stephens - 8 - see above
March - 9 - MOTM - everywhere and an assist.
AK - 7 - great first half, looked knackered second
Gross - 8 - won a pen, scored a pen
Murray - 8 - wonderful finish, made the United centre halves look very average

Balogun - 8 - what a signing

Nailed it

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
These threads are always so strange and reflect the difference in how different people assess the game(s).

Ryan 6 Not impressed by their first goal, good save from Pogba but had nothing else to do.
Montoya 7 Composed and comfortable, going forward didn't add much, or need to.
Duffy 8 Imperious and a lovely finish.
Dunk n/a Hopefully he's not too badly hurt.
Bong 6 Got forward and I was pleased he made contact with the ball to send it toward the area. Obviously, no quality in the delivery.
Knockaert 7 Didn't create much but did the defensive job as well as anyone else, good show.
Stephens 8 Never intimidated by the names in opposition to him and sets the standard. Lost the ball casually a few times though.
Pröpper 8 So classy, massively underused in my opinion, his attacking influence is almost nil because of his ultra-defensive role.
March 6 Great defensively, put in so many challenges and worked hard but going forward? Works hard and it suited our team today, and it's a team game.
Gross 6 Linked play well, but we didn't do much going forward generally so it's tough to score him.
Murray 8 Top class, HE is the reason we got promoted and have survived. A class above our other strikers.

Subs
Balogun 8 Comfortable in this company and in my opinion, he's good enough to really trouble Duffy and Dunk.

The others didn't have enough time to matter but it was a nice touch to get the announcer to let everyone know we have a new number 9!

Deary me.

Ryan - not his fault lukaku had a free header from eight yards out
Bong - nice patronising comment
March - got an assist for the Murray goal
Gross - won and converted a penalty

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Deary me.

Ryan - not his fault lukaku had a free header from eight yards out
Bong - nice patronising comment
March - got an assist for the Murray goal
Gross - won and converted a penalty

Hiding on his line. Great save from Pogba at a crucial time for balance, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he should have done more for the first goal and I would assume we'll hear MOTD2 talking heads say something similar later on.

Bong was fine defensively (except when he miskicked a simple clearance) but, again, it's not unreasonable to not be happy that he can't cross a ball. He offers nothing in attack which didn't matter today but it will matter going forward because in most games we'll need to do more than we did today. He's a limited player continuing to be in our team and it's not too much to feel like he shouldn't be in the team based on his lack of quality. Again, happy today that we won the game as a team.

March did his job defensively to perfection and it's obvious why he's so trusted by Hughton, today wasn't the day to see him at his best going forward but let's not forget how universally panned he was last week for his terrible performance. It was a good ball to Murray today, brilliant finish from the big man, but other than the cross he didn't contribute a great deal. Again, team game - the team won. So he'll be happy and rightly so.

Gross is my favourite player, but I can be objectionable and say that if the penalty is saved, he would be getting a lot of stick for it and it would be deserved. He did his job today, nothing more or less. Games like Watford away are when he needs to make more of an impact.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ryan - 7 - very little to do bar a great save from Pogba
Montoya - 7 - accomplished debut. Looks very comfortable on the ball
Bong - 7 - only criticism would be his delivery when got in on the overlap
Duffy - 9 - immense
Dunk - 6 - hopefully a minor injury
Propper - 8 - bossed the midfield with...
Stephens - 8 - see above
March - 9 - MOTM - everywhere and an assist.
AK - 7 - great first half, looked knackered second
Gross - 8 - won a pen, scored a pen
Murray - 8 - wonderful finish, made the United centre halves look very average

Balogun - 8 - what a signing

Don't think I have done this before but here we go " what he said"

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
These threads are always so strange and reflect the difference in how different people assess the game(s).

Ryan 6 Not impressed by their first goal, good save from Pogba but had nothing else to do.
Bong 6 Got forward and I was pleased he made contact with the ball to send it toward the area. Obviously, no quality in the delivery.
Knockaert 7 Didn't create much but did the defensive job as well as anyone else, good show.
Stephens 8 Never intimidated by the names in opposition to him and sets the standard. Lost the ball casually a few times though.
Pröpper 8 So classy, massively underused in my opinion, his attacking influence is almost nil because of his ultra-defensive role.
March 6 Great defensively, put in so many challenges and worked hard but going forward? Works hard and it suited our team today, and it's a team game.
Gross 6 Linked play well, but we didn't do much going forward generally so it's tough to score him.
Murray 8 Top class, HE is the reason we got promoted and have survived. A class above our other strikers.

Subs
Balogun 8 Comfortable in this company and in my opinion, he's good enough to really trouble Duffy and Dunk.

The others didn't have enough time to matter but it was a nice touch to get the announcer to let everyone know we have a new number 9!

There is no way in the world Ryan was at fault for the first goal. Shaw has struck it from the corner of the penalty area so Ryan has to stay on or near his line. The only fault lie with the defenders at the time not sprinting out to catch Lukaku off-side.

Bong was quality last year, hugely underrated and one miss kick apart he had another sound game.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Subs

Translation: my opinion is supreme, you're all stupid.

I have criticised March in the past for being poor going forward, but I can't make that criticism today, where he was very good all round. He deserves more than a 6, and Montoya and AK deserve more than a 7. Ratings are relative and have to be put into the context of our level and the level we're playing against. We bossed that game all over the pitch.

(I am actually right, you're wrong)

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There is no way in the world Ryan was at fault for the first goal. Shaw has struck it from the corner of the penalty area so Ryan has to stay on or near his line. The only fault lie with the defenders at the time not sprinting out to catch Lukaku off-side.

Bong was quality last year, hugely underrated and one miss kick apart he had another sound game.

I'll await to see it back, but live I felt he was a statue and didn't do anything about the situation which I think is a general criticism of him at corners. There's no doubt he earns his keep in other ways, even if there is a flaw at set pieces.

Personally, I don't like that our first choice left back can't do anything going forward. His crossing is a joke and his passing isn't any better. Defensively he's very good and he has earnt Hughton's trust and today his performance was fine because we didn't need him going forward. But in games where we're struggling to break teams down and we need something from all our outfielders, I don't think he's capable of making a positive contribution and changing a game in our favour. Suttner, on the other hand, is a devillish crosser and I'd have him in the team. Hughton sees the squad all week though, and he trusts Bong - ultimately, his choice is the only one that matters.

Translation: my opinion is supreme, you're all stupid.

I have criticised March in the past for being poor going forward, but I can't make that criticism today, where he was very good all round. He deserves more than a 6, and Montoya and AK deserve more than a 7. Ratings are relative have have to be put into the context of our level and the level we're playing against. We bossed that game all over the pitch.

(I am actually right, you're wrong)

Sure, no problem if that's how you read my post. You have your opinion, I have mine.

I think you can criticise March's contribution going forward but he got himself an assist. I said last season that I don't really care how players play - if they positively contribute to a game then that's fine. For me, Barnes was always an average player BUT he had a knack of always doing something which mattered, he would get a goal or an assist or make something tangible happen which is the most important thing for me. March got an assist today, and he defended Young brilliantly. He was crap last week and there were questions why he was in the team, those don't go away because of a positive team performance and result this week.

I don't think it matters who we play against. We took our chances today, we didn't make any last week. We did what we needed to to win, and we deserved the result but it doesn't mean we have to pretend that all is perfect with the team. It's going to be a wonderful week at work catching up with the United fans!

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
I'll await to see it back, but live I felt he was a statue and didn't do anything about the situation which I think is a general criticism of him at corners. There's no doubt he earns his keep in other ways, even if there is a flaw at set pieces.

Personally, I don't like that our first choice left back can't do anything going forward. His crossing is a joke and his passing isn't any better. Defensively he's very good and he has earnt Hughton's trust and today his performance was fine because we didn't need him going forward. But in games where we're struggling to break teams down and we need something from all our outfielders, I don't think he's capable of making a positive contribution and changing a game in our favour. Suttner, on the other hand, is a devillish crosser and I'd have him in the team. Hughton sees the squad all week though, and he trusts Bong - ultimately, his choice is the only one that matters.

Sure, no problem if that's how you read my post. You have your opinion, I have mine.

I think you can criticise March's contribution going forward but he got himself an assist. I said last season that I don't really care how players play - if they positively contribute to a game then that's fine. For me, Barnes was always an average player BUT he had a knack of always doing something which mattered, he would get a goal or an assist or make something tangible happen which is the most important thing for me. March got an assist today, and he defended Young brilliantly. He was crap last week and there were questions why he was in the team, those don't go away because of a positive team performance and result this week.

I don't think it matters who we play against. We took our chances today, we didn't make any last week. We did what we needed to to win, and we deserved the result but it doesn't mean we have to pretend that all is perfect with the team. It's going to be a wonderful week at work catching up with the United fans!
Didn't need Bong going fwd - What!!! He along with March created Murray's goal. Thus he was in a fwd position. Bong anyday over the superstar Suttner!!!!!!!!

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

The Bong Vs Suttner argument is fine as they both have very different qualities. For a bottom half team who rarely dominate possession, I'd say the qualities that Bong possesses are far more needed than Suttner's.

Bong is without doubt the best defensive left back I've seen for the Albion and whilst his all-round game isn't as good as Wayne Bridge, I'd say he's the best permanent left back I've seen play for the Albion.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I thought Knocky was bloody fantastic today.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

For me, Barnes was always an average player BUT he had a knack of always doing something which mattered, he would get a goal or an assist or make something tangible happen which is the most important thing for me.

I think getting a goal or an assist or making something happen is what makes Barnes very much above average.

Oh, and you are wrong about Bong as well, it's just you have a weird dislike of him. He's a far better left back than Suttner, hence he starts far more games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone’s craving attention.

Well Baldock has moved on, we need another Albion player who isn’t up to it regardless of how he plays don’t we?

Bong and Ryan have worked themselves into pole position, which one will he choose?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All those March knockers where are you today? That's exactly why he is in the team.

I stand by what I said last week after the Watford game. March and Knockaert are ' home players ' They are totally different away from the comfort of the Amex. Last week, they were lightweight, ineffective and liabilities. Yesterday, they were both terrific but if they are going to hold down regular starting places they have to show more away from home. We will have JI and AJ to come in at some stage, so these two have to keep that sort of level up.
CH knows these two are more comfortable at home, so he may start to favour JI and AJ more, away from home.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Honourable mention

Eric Bailly - 11.

Nutmegged by Solly's cross for the first goal
Gave away silly corner for the second goal
Committed the foul for the third goal

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills